POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/08/2011 12:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    In regards to non locking blades. And just a ready excuse to show this that I saw the other day
    Would you get away with one of these Svord peasants.
    Tbh I'd have to check the Act specifically to be sure, but I'm pretty sure the subject is a very grey area and open to interpretation. I seem to recall reference being made to a locking mechansim being required to be classed as a lock knife, which may include that handy lever despite not technically locking the blade in place.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    3/08/2011 3:56pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wave edition Delica. Great knife. If you want a bottle opener, I can't stress enough how useful a leatherman or victorinox on your person at all times can be. The wave works, sure, but my Leatherman has more than just a bottle opener and I find uses for it daily.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2011 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a weid peice of stupidity it is also cheaper to buy from America than either from New Zealand or Australia
    this annoys the **** out of me.

my theory is that american retailers can order larger numbers of knives because of the larger population over there. that should make them cheaper.

Posted On:
    3/08/2011 9:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    leatherman. And yes I use the pliers.

Questions like how much you want to spend and what you want to use it for might help.

Oh and there is a thread.
    thanks. I'll use it for everyday use. My budget is less than 100 bucks.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/09/2011 12:43am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnysunny2012 View Post
    Hi, fellas. What kind of knife do u guys use? My last knife was about worn out. Wanna find a nice placement. I've just looked into this Pocket Knife. Good or not? Any other recommendations? There seem to be a lot of options out there but it's tough to judge based only on photos...
    Hey, look at that, I have moderator powers in here. Consequently, I'll be merging your thread with the one IIF linked to in the post above yours shortly. This is standard site policy, nothing personal.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    3/09/2011 1:22am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the wave feature actually works as a crappy bottle opener.
    I found the delica's wave feature to work better than my emerson :S

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2011 6:18pm

Style: Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been carrying a Microtech SOCOM Elite for about 6 years.
    Great knife. Seems to hold a nice edge.
    Comfortable in my pocket or waistband.

Posted On:
    3/10/2011 2:54pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $100 budget?

http://www.amazon.com/Charge-Aluminu...uct/B002TM76K4

Leatherman Charge AL. Tons of tools, multiple blades with the primary made of 154cm steel (which is one of the market's top steels), all blades lock in place, plus it comes with a pocket clip that is removable and a holster so you can choose your carry method. If you're looking for a knife for a defensive option, my personal opinion is that you're buying the wrong tool for the job with any folding blade, so I'd rather have a good blade for utility tasks and nothing has more utility than a leatherman IMO.

YMMV, as always.

If a blade itself is all you need, I also highly recommend the Spyderco Native and the Delica line for anybody on a budget.

Posted On:
    3/10/2011 5:08pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Tbh I'd have to check the Act specifically to be sure, but I'm pretty sure the subject is a very grey area and open to interpretation. I seem to recall reference being made to a locking mechansim being required to be classed as a lock knife, which may include that handy lever despite not technically locking the blade in place.
    I think you could get away with it as it's not a mechanical lock. I didn't catch how long the blade was, if it was mentioned, if it was under 3" it should be fine. It's an interesting knife, I don't really trust non locking folding blades either but it looked good even if a bit unwieldly becouse of the tang, as the guy said.

I think you're right about the grey area, a lot depends on context of where you are, what you're doing etc.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 5:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently, after a quick google, the locking mechansim is not mentioned in the legislation, but was interpreted in case law. Given the circumstances it is unlikely that the handle/lever would amount to a locking blade.

However, according to wikipedia, special provision is made for most knife offences with the defence of 'good reason'. So in theory, you could breach the 3" rule or the locking blade rule as long as you have a good and immediate reason for carrying the blade.

I've got access to Westlaw, which is an online legislation/caselaw library so I'm going to check this out properly later.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler: