1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 7:20am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was my daily carry:

Then my wife stole it and now it stays in her purse!

Now this is my daily carry (infinitely more practical IMO):

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 7:53am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An Opinel, never needed anything else, and when it gets too beaten up it's not expensive for a new one.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 7:58am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always wondered about Opinel's: do they have any locking mechanism at all?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 8:17am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    I always wondered about Opinel's: do they have any locking mechanism at all?
    yes. the metal bit at the top of the handle can be rotated once the knife is open to lock it open.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I too am a Kershaw fan. Although the shimmery Ken Onion Gay Pride Rainbow Flag Weenie Genie shown earlier holds undeniable charms, several years ago I went with the half-serrated Ken Onion Blackout, because its monochrome gothic badassery impresses ninjas, fatboy comic-store clerks with black shiny dragon shirts, and juggalos (and of course the healthy population produced where these three subcultures intersect). Also, a Leatherman Wave is in the briefcase, purchased in a fit of whimsy because that's what I do whenever I see a leatherman - wave! And those who know me know I'm nothing if not whimsical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 9:54am

supporting member
     Style: BALEETED

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Used to have a Flash II like the OP's but I had the straight edge, unfortunatly i lost it a couple months ago so now I carry a Benchmade mini-griptilian in D2 steel. My good buddy I work with used to be Bill Moran's aprentice (google it if you don't know who this is) and he is making me a fixed blade 3.5" drop point hunter in damascus, so that will be my carry soon.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I carry this one, mostly because it comes in handy a lot.

I have it for about 10 years now and it never failed me.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 11:27am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    I carry this one, mostly because it comes in handy a lot.

I have it for about 10 years now and it never failed me.
    that's not a knife....

*this* is a knife...
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 1:24pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Really, I'd like to hear more about this.
    Not much to tell. Of the aforementioned Kershaw knives that I will never purchase again (sorry to break with the pack here), both have let me down. The first Kershaw Knife I tried was the Speed Bump. Didn't like the locking mechanism from the get go, but that's on me for not trying before I buy things from amazon. Unfortunately, the locking mechanism was also chintzy, and liked to pop open in my pocket, even with the redundant lock for the locking mechanism it came with. Then, one day, I was walking around with my hands in my pockets, and SNAP!, the blade popped open, then hit against my leg and closed. With my right middle and index fingers in between. That sucked pretty bad. The other Kershaw I own, the Blur, A.) Bent the first time I used it, to cut cloth of all things, B.) has rusted an unreasonable degree for the little use it has gotten, and C.) also likes to pop open in my pocket when I'm running. This mostly seems to be a phenomenon related to knives that have thumb studs, hence my preference for holes instead.

I have used my knife with gloves on, no problems. In fact, I would imagine it would be more difficult to open a knife that didn't have a "thumb grip" as you put it (I've never heard of that term before) with gloves on.
    I don't really know the name for the things, but that's just what I call them. At any rate, the problem is that many knife companies tend to favor right handed clients, and I need the knife to open ambidextrously, which is why I haven't really gotten into the Emerson brand. From my understanding, they're mostly right handed knives, which isn't the end of the world, but a pain in the ass, nonetheless.
    Awesome review, please post pics of your knives (I could look them up myself, but that isn't the point of this thread).
    The link on my original post went to a picture of the Spyderco, but here's one anyway:

4 inches of S30V goodness.

On another note, if I don't expect to be doing anything that would require my Spyderco (ie I'm not at work), I'll occasionally wear my Cold Steel Ti-Lite 4 inch instead. It's not real practical, but it looks neat, was 30 bucks, and the blade steel is good enough (AUS8A) to stand up to use. Mostly seems to end up as a conversation piece anyway.

Edit: Incidentally, I once made it through the security checkpoint at the Atlanta Airport with the Ti-Lite in my pocket. I'm assuming they just didn't bother to scan me at all because I went through the military entrance and had my military ID on me, but wow. This was last November, by the way.
    Last edited by Cassius; 3/16/2009 1:41pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 1:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ming
    We were talking pocket knifes here right? And this is the one for me... opens bottles of wine and beer and also cans of food, has a pair of scissors. I would not use a pocket knife for anything else than those kind of tasks.
    You want to go self defense take a fixed blade or buy a gun.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast