Posted On:
    3/29/2009 2:52pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrogantBastard View Post
    Well I want to carry a fixed blade like a KABAR
    No where in any civilized country will let you carry a military/hunting fixed blade, I guess strapped to your thigh or belt? Unless you are a LEO or out hunting. Why do you need to carry something so large everyday? Plan to gut a boar on your way to the inner harbor? Afraid of the zombie invasion happening while you are out in Silver Spring urban mall?

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 3:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think everything in the cold steel line is excellent. You can get "proof" for free to see which knife is for you.

That said, if your state is "shall issue" that gives you many more options.

In my system of ACJ we make it clear that a PPD has to be legal. In Michigan it means it has to be less than 3" and no double edges. I wish someone made a full manly handled folder, with a blade like that.

I find my mini-mag flashlight, pepper spray, and cane is more than enough for most of what I enounter.

In the old days, Judo schools used to teach yawara stick and walking stick. Sambo has some interesting stuff with a small umbrella.

My carry knife? Go all the way back to the beginning. I carry the Bolker version of the Bud Nealy works. That is always on me somewhere. If I am somewhere where 4" is legal, I use the Cold Steel Scimitar.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    In my system of ACJ we make it clear that a PPD has to be legal. In Michigan it means it has to be less than 3" and no double edges. I wish someone made a full manly handled folder, with a blade like that.
    sorry. i know i am in danger of being a shameless emerson whore, but in response to this *specific* "i wish" from mtripp i feel duty bound to point out that the mini cqc7 (available in various tips) is exactly this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZYtRE_YPq0

i'll shut up about emerson now.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please don't. Especially when it answers my question!!

So, outstanding. Exactly what I am looking for.

I should point out my birthday is April 8th, and we are going to celebrate my 50 years in Judo at the next clinic.

Either event would be a very good reason for me to get a gift like this....

...hint hint hint....

...shameless, but at my age who cares.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 5:26pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I carry this kershaw
    http://www.kershawknives.com/product...&brand=kershaw
    and a leatherman kick
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 6:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Discontinued version of the Spyderco Endura. This is it, except mine is the plain edge version.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=5

The blade was 1/16th under the legal limit for NYC. I moved down South and surprisingly the blade limitations are actually (significantly!) shorter. I don't carry it around now as much since I'm not riding around with the bums on the subways at 4 am anymore.

I've had it for 10+ years. It's very light, slim without being overly small (large hands), and holds a shaving-sharp edge for a long time. My only complaint is that the clip sucks. I've had to reattach the clip after it's fallen off several times and it never feels 100% sturdy.

Side note: I seriously dislike it when folders (including a lot of the new Spyderco models) put the unlocking mechanism on the underside of the grip where your fingers are instead of on the back of the handle. I guess designers know what they're doing, but it just *feels* unsafe to me which really makes the knife feel less comfortable in my grip.
    Last edited by maofas; 3/29/2009 6:17pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 7:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    No where in any civilized country will let you carry a military/hunting fixed blade, I guess strapped to your thigh or belt? Unless you are a LEO or out hunting. Why do you need to carry something so large everyday? Plan to gut a boar on your way to the inner harbor? Afraid of the zombie invasion happening while you are out in Silver Spring urban mall?
    Yes.

The zombie threat is real.

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 10:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I carry a Ka Bar TDI (left side), a karambit, (Tarani Master's,right side), and a Cold Steel Urban Pal (small push knife) under the shirt.

Also on my keychain I've got a kubaton that I've milled holes into, and installed a "U" bolt to aid in retention.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 10:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ::sigh:: and the Elmore crowd has arrived

Ok why do you need multiple knives? You plan to be fighting an entire gang and need backups? Plan to be tied up and need to be able to reach a knife on all places on your body?

You understand having multiple blades is less likely to give you an advantage and more likely will give your opponent a blade to use against you.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 10:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrogantBastard View Post
    Yes.

The zombie threat is real.
    You might be more comfortable here: http://www.themartialist.com/
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast