218358 Bullies, 6899 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 328
Page 1 of 33 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Steve is offline
    Steve's Avatar

    The gift that keeps on giving

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,205

    Posted On:
    3/15/2009 11:44am

    supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    What's your pocket knife?

    I've had my SOG Flash II for 5+ years, here it is (a bit dirty since I use it at work and have yet to clean it this week):



    Obligatory video (note, this is for a the straight blade version, I prefer the partially serrated):

    YouTube - SOG Flash II: Light Weight, Big Blade

    It's a fantastic knife, clips easily into my pocket and is functional immediately after drawing. I'm sure there are plenty of other pocket knife peeps out there, what do you carry and why?

    Please, post pics of your actual pocket knife as well.
  2. Cassius is offline
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,950

    Posted On:
    3/15/2009 1:11pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No pictures of my daily carry, but I am currently enamored of the Spyderco Military. It's my daily carry as of now, due to my Byrd Raven being A.) Too heavy and B.) Too delicate. It's a bit heavier than the SOG Flash II at 4.2oz, but the blade is S30V, and the handle is G-10. The blade is a full 4 inches, though. More importantly, it is NOT assisted opening, which I have sworn off due to issues with the mechanisms breaking at inopportune times. Like in my pocket, with my hand also in my pocket. Still got scars from that one.

    In fact, I'm not really a fan of thumb grips anymore, due to their tendency to get caught on fabric and deploy when I'm running around, and prefer the security of the spyderco style hole. Plus they're easy to use while wearing gloves.

    Moving on, the G-10 is incredibly tough for handle material, and very very grippy. The blade itself comes almost dangerously sharp, is a really fantastic shape for cutting and stabbing, and is also insanely tough. I have the plain edge for practicality. It is much less likely to "catch" at bad times than anything with serrations. I have tried to make this knife my bitch, and it takes it and likes it. I have been using the **** out of it since the beginning of January, and it is still shaving sharp without even a single honing session. I have taken this thing out in the swamps with me for extended periods, and as long as I give it a decent cleaning, it doesn't rust. Finally, the entire knife has a very slim profile, and is still very light for its size, making it very comfortable to carry.

    There are some issues with this knife:

    The pocket clip is not as sturdy as I'd like it to be. I accidentally bent it by getting it caught on a door, and haven't been able to locate the right sized wrench to take it off and fix it. It's still usable, though.

    The blade is pretty large for civilian use. I'm all about a 4 inch blade, but it can pose legal issues for many people. SpyderCo offers a Para-Military version that's 66% the size of the original, and that might be better suited to you non-military folk.

    The cost. I purchased this knife for about 90 bucks total, and it retails for around $220. That's kind of a lot to spend on a knife that you plan on beating the crap out of, but for my purposes, totally worth it. For the money, I have never been happier with a folding knife.

    ---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

    I guess I should also mention that on top of not buying automatic or assisted opening knives anymore, I probably will also never purchase another Kershaw knife. I've purchased two different knives from them that have broken or rusted from minimal wear and tear. CRKT I've been pleased with, and I might try a Benchmade if the SpyderCo Military ends up letting me down. I don't really like the locking mechanisms on most Benchmades, though.
    Last edited by Cassius; 3/15/2009 1:03pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  3. Angrydog is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    117

    Posted On:
    3/15/2009 1:23pm


     Style: Bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mine isnt issued by the military, its like a minature version of steves, spring loaded, and stainless steel no black grip.
  4. Ming Loyalist is offline
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar

    solves problems with violence

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,236

    Posted On:
    3/15/2009 1:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube - Coltello EMERSON CQC-7 Wave Tanto Tactical Folder

    i like it a lot.

    ---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

    should have gotten this in retrospect:

    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
  5. mrm1775 is offline
    mrm1775's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Right here.
    Posts
    1,220

    Posted On:
    3/15/2009 2:38pm


     Style: This and that

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been carrying this since Iraq:

    Expensive, but I got a good deal on it on Ebay and so far it has been worth every penny. Its good for big cutting jobs and detail work, and has even been used for some prying with no ill effect. It holds an edge very well and the shape allows it to cut even when dull. The clip is very sturdy but I usually just throw it in a pocket.

    The only real disadvantage is that I have to use a ceramic rod instead of a flat stone to sharpen it, but that only comes up every three or four months anyway.
    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.
  6. Steve is offline
    Steve's Avatar

    The gift that keeps on giving

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,205

    Posted On:
    3/15/2009 4:11pm

    supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    More importantly, it is NOT assisted opening, which I have sworn off due to issues with the mechanisms breaking at inopportune times. Like in my pocket, with my hand also in my pocket. Still got scars from that one.
    Really, I'd like to hear more about this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    In fact, I'm not really a fan of thumb grips anymore, due to their tendency to get caught on fabric and deploy when I'm running around, and prefer the security of the spyderco style hole. Plus they're easy to use while wearing gloves.
    I have used my knife with gloves on, no problems. In fact, I would imagine it would be more difficult to open a knife that didn't have a "thumb grip" as you put it (I've never heard of that term before) with gloves on.

    But this is all a familiarity issue; the more you know a knife, the better you are at deploying it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Moving on, the G-10 is incredibly tough for handle material, and very very grippy. The blade itself comes almost dangerously sharp, is a really fantastic shape for cutting and stabbing, and is also insanely tough. I have the plain edge for practicality. It is much less likely to "catch" at bad times than anything with serrations. I have tried to make this knife my bitch, and it takes it and likes it. I have been using the **** out of it since the beginning of January, and it is still shaving sharp without even a single honing session. I have taken this thing out in the swamps with me for extended periods, and as long as I give it a decent cleaning, it doesn't rust. Finally, the entire knife has a very slim profile, and is still very light for its size, making it very comfortable to carry.

    There are some issues with this knife:

    The pocket clip is not as sturdy as I'd like it to be. I accidentally bent it by getting it caught on a door, and haven't been able to locate the right sized wrench to take it off and fix it. It's still usable, though.

    The blade is pretty large for civilian use. I'm all about a 4 inch blade, but it can pose legal issues for many people. SpyderCo offers a Para-Military version that's 66% the size of the original, and that might be better suited to you non-military folk.

    The cost. I purchased this knife for about 90 bucks total, and it retails for around $220. That's kind of a lot to spend on a knife that you plan on beating the crap out of, but for my purposes, totally worth it. For the money, I have never been happier with a folding knife.

    ---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

    I guess I should also mention that on top of not buying automatic or assisted opening knives anymore, I probably will also never purchase another Kershaw knife. I've purchased two different knives from them that have broken or rusted from minimal wear and tear. CRKT I've been pleased with, and I might try a Benchmade if the SpyderCo Military ends up letting me down. I don't really like the locking mechanisms on most Benchmades, though.
    Awesome review, please post pics of your knives (I could look them up myself, but that isn't the point of this thread).
  7. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,827

    Posted On:
    3/15/2009 6:24pm

    supporting member
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not being a member of the military, nor harboring any para-military ambitions, I carry a CRKT Wrangler. It is discontinued now, but it's perfect for me: it has a blade length short enough to negate legal issues and a style that says "it's just a pocket knife officer, only intended to injure packing tape."

    I am not a knife guy at all, so all I can beyond that is that the blade came plenty sharp, it doesn't dull quickly, the handle is easy to grip tightly (even with my hands' tendency to become very sweaty), and the blade's movement is quite smooth now that I've loosened the screw (bolt?) a little.


    YouTube - Coltello CRKT WRANGLER folder Knife

    EDIT: My laptop's sound doesn't work and I have no idea if this video has any narration. If the video features some "Martialist" dipshit talking about stabbing hobos, please forgive me.
    Last edited by Robstafarian; 3/15/2009 6:28pm at .
  8. sarguy is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewiston,ID
    Posts
    9

    Posted On:
    3/15/2009 6:48pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, LEO deftac

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MY EDC is a Spyderco Endura Wave.
  9. FickleFingerOfFate is offline
    FickleFingerOfFate's Avatar

    Guess which finger is the fickle one...

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Up in your grill.
    Posts
    5,645

    Posted On:
    3/15/2009 7:06pm

    supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't carry a pocket knife every day, but when I do, it's this one.





    Unless I'm dressed well, in which case, this is my carry.


    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

    The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.


  10. hapkido_keith is offline
    hapkido_keith's Avatar

    Crappler Extraordinaire

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,307

    Posted On:
    3/15/2009 9:33pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I couldn't get my camera to take a good picture of it

    It's made by Schrade, there's a number SX4B on it; I'm assuming that's a model number. I bought it as a cheap work knife that I wouldn't care too much if it got fucked up or lost. I paid 6 bucks for it. It holds an edge pretty well, does need to be sharpened from time to time but I abuse the **** out of it so I don't mind too much. 3 and 1/2 inch blade. I mostly use it for work, but I keep it in a state that it'll gut a man if I need it too.
Page 1 of 33 1 234511 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.