Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2009 3:32pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advice for Fighting this guy... Particularly on the Approach

Alright, at my gym, I'm normally put up against a variety of fighters.

There is one particular fighter who stands at about 6"2 or so, give or take a little. He's probably 190 pounds.

Meanwhile, I am 5"10, and 160 pounds.

Anyhow, we were kickboxing, and I was having serious trouble with my approach. He would basically rely on three moves:

The Jab

When I tried to approach directly at him and jab at him, he would use his superior reach to get me with his jab first.

The Lead Uppercut
    Other times, when I started catching on to his jab, he would dip down a little and throw a lead uppercut, which I would occasionally dodge and occasionally fall for.

The Teep
    Other times, I would try to rush in or lead with my cross instead, or even throw a high roundhouse, and he would throw a quick, teep to stop my movement.

When ever I tried to circle towards his front leg (away from his power leg and hand), he would do a lunging front hook, which wouldn't catch me usually, but would stop my movement.

I am having a tough time figuring out how to approach him. My coach told me to go in and out to trick him, along with relying more on straight boxing and low kicks because he is taller.

However, I was wondering if anyone here had any additional suggestions for the approach -- I get stopped a frustrating amount of times. Does it just boil down to training more, or are there some good ways to get around his fast teep, his uppercut, and his jab? He plays a more of a peekaboo style, relying mostly on his hands. I don't want to put my hands down to block the teep.

I'm sorry for not posting a video... I will be trying to tighten my game for next week so that I am not throwing stupid haymakers and high kicks, so perhaps it is possible I can get a video for next week.

Anyhow, are there any suggestions on how to approach this person?

Sorry in advance if this is posted in the wrong section; feel free to move it if necessary.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this,
    GK
    Last edited by gallantknight; 3/14/2009 3:34pm at .

Posted On:
    3/14/2009 4:15pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Until a video is up i can only offer you the standard answer which you won't even understand until you are already doing it - use angles to close the distance instead of going straight in.

Out of interest where are you training? Seems a bit strange to be sparring muay thai rules in CMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2009 4:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I write CMA in my profile because technically, it is a school that teaches chinese kung fu (Bajiquan, Baguazhang, Piguazhang, and Seven Harmony Mantis), but we mostly focus on sparring and simple kickboxing techniques, especially for the less-experienced. We normally fight kickboxing style, and most of the coaches also have experience with grappling/wrestling, so we incorporate that into training when we have the mats out.

In short, this CMA school is more concerned with practical fighting then it is with pretty forms and the like. We will do forms, and I have learned a couple kung-fu techniques to implement into my kickboxing, though. Just take it as you will.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2009 9:25pm

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe it's obvious, but slipping the jab and countering works well for me against tall people. Once you can make him second guess his jab, it gets easier to mix things up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2009 9:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah yes, I have tried to incorporate slipping. That has worked with moderate success. Unfortunately, sometimes he switches up very quickly and manages to catch me with an uppercut from a sort of 45 degree angle.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    3/14/2009 11:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Out of interest where are you training? Seems a bit strange to be sparring muay thai rules in CMA.
    This is completely normal at any Chinese kickboxing gym.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

gallantknight, is this straight MT or do you have the SanDa throwing rules available to you?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2009 11:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not exactly Sanda that I'm learning, they've been trying to do a more standard kickboxing + BJJ deal. I've had a bit of experience elsewhere with a reputable BJJ place.

For now, we mostly just do kickboxing because we train on a gym floor. We have mats that we bring out. When we do that, we play MMA style... though with very light G&P.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2009 4:39am

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Catch the push kicks

Posted On:
    3/15/2009 5:12am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats what i mean by needing to see a video of him first elbowtko, if he's at the skill level i think he is then telling him to catch the pushkicks is just going to result in him getting punched/kicked in the head twice as much and even when he does catch one he won't know what to do with it.

War Wheel: Thats awesome, in my city of 2 million or so people there isn't a single cma school which spars with 20% of the contact we do at our MT gym.

Posted On:
    3/15/2009 6:28am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowtko View Post
    Catch the push kicks
    Hehe, hell yea. Do that.

Circle around to his left (your right), if he is not a southpaw, and throw leg kicks and HARD left hooks while he is adapting his position. This will make his footwork less effective and the hooks should scare him because they will be coming at a funny angle. Eventually when you get the balls, move to your right again or feint moving to your right, and throw a jab/overhand right 1-2. If you've caught him with a few hooks, his defence should be a little discombobulated at this point and you have a decent chance of landing the overhand right.

Or just catch the leg.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast