Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

poser

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 4:16pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

left-right imbalance in my upper body (arms, chest, etc): how do i fix it?

the title basically says it all. i recently started doing real upper-body-focused lifting, and about a month or so in, i feel like my right side (which is my dominant side) is starting to do all the work, and my left side is falling behind because of it.

in other words, i guess i've been unconsciously using my arms and chest unevenly, so that now my right side is stronger and as such is doing more of the work, which in turn leaves my left side weaker and so the cycle continues.

will this sort itself out? or should i do something about it now before it gets worse?

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 6:05pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use dumbbells.

poser

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 8:06pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel like I should have thought of that already.

Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 9:46pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My body is actually pretty imbalanced. I have a longer leg and it seems that my delt muscles are fairly different to each other.

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 3:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a similar problem because of my job. In my case it even led to some back pain.
    There are a few things I did that really helped.

Do as many things as you can left handed. Anything work related at home, washing dishes, car repair, cleaning, cooking. Strengthening the dexterity and finger strength in your non dominant hand will go a long way and speed up results. Picking something you do all the time helps you stay on track.

Push-ups helped me a lot. Keep your mind on posture and do them slower rather than faster. Push-ups on a swiss ball, or medicine ball are great for this problem as well as showing you where the weakness are.

If you shadow box or grapple, try switching sides. I started working southpaw striking and it really helped my body learn to use that side better.

Get some bungee cables and use them like dumbells.

Mainly try and be aware of your body and start doing everything on your left side more in every day life. It's definitely fixable. On the bonus side becoming ambidextrous will improve your game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 10:33am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dumbells won't fix the situation, unless you are very aware of your form lifting. The same thing that would fix the problem if you were using a bar.

I had a bad trap imbalance, that I got while using dumbells. After watching myself lift in a video I notice that I still wasn't lifting evenly (form). I dropped the weight down significantly and started using a bar and watching my form closely, and I am a lot more even now. I think a bar forces you to balance better without all the twisting I was doing with the dumbells, which just accentuated my imbalance.

So, my advice would be to drop the weight down a bit, and whether you use a bar or dbs, to closely monitor your form, possibly with a spotter. Once you get the form down, start upping the weights some

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 2:56am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say dumbells, but use them right. Force yourself to do the same amount of work with both sides and watch your form carefully. Drop the weight for a while if it sucks. Single arm cable rows and pulldowns will have the same benefit for your back.

Start alternating between the dumbells and the bar when you start to even out.

At least that worked for me.
    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 4:44am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google your problem and you'll see that it's very common. The most common answer is to use Dumbells as the previous posters have said.

The other answer is not to worry about it as things will even out on their own.

The second was correct for me.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 6:25am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If double-limb dumbell work still perpetuates imbalances, switch to single-limb dumbell stuff. Much more core intensive [which is good anyway, right?] but at least you can isolate and focus on that limb.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 6:43am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you are better of sticking to the barbell and concentrating on your form, if the weight is lifted evenly then equal force will be applied to both limbs and greater stress will be applied to the weaker limb bringing it quickly up to speed.

Stick to the basics, chins, deads, squat, BORs, bench etc and you'll find that both physical and strength imbalances will go in time.

With dumbells its easy to shortchange ROM etc with one limb compared to the other and not even be aware you are doing it, creating worse imbalances.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast