232548 Bullies, 4397 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 105 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011121858 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 6:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two questions that always come up first when a couple of BJJers meet:

Where do you train?
    Who do you train under?

As long as this video nonsense doesn't become a fad with instructors and school owners outside of this small minority, then we can control it, with ridicule and ass kickings on the mat once lineage (or lack thereof) is established.

That being said, an internet petition, with widespread intarwebz forums participation may help out - after all, this **** started on the net, might as well end on the net.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 8:32am

Style: IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Internet testing = bullshit!

Video can be a good reference tool but this is nothing more than a play for some bucks. ($) Which just happens to be a sure sign of mcdojoism! Definitely a blight on the Gracie Academy!

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 8:37am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    If he and his students promote it as RGJJ then that would do the trick
    RGJJ would be about the most ambiguous name ever. They are all R. Gracie.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 9:41am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    So, if Gracie Academy controls the branding of the Gracie name
    Has it been established that they in fact do? Like I mentioned earlier, there was a court ruling that specifically stated "Rorion "do[es] not have a valid service mark for the name GRACIE JIUJITSU" As I'm neither a lawyer nor have I seen any later details of cases, I'm not sure if that's still true, but would appear that Rorion has been successfully challenged over trademarking GJJ and lost.

Either way, I don't think it matters all that much. To quote myself from the long post on BJJ history:

Carlson Gracie, in a typically forthright interview in 1997 with O Tatame, stated that "My Jiu-Jitsu is completely different from theirs, my technique has nothing to do with "Gracie Jiu-Jitsu". I AM CARLSON GRACIE and that's the way it is in the ring." [58] Kid Peligro, in a Fightworks Podcast interview, offers a different perspective:
    To me, its always been just 'jiu-jitsu', because there is not a distinction in Brazil. I grew up just knowing it as 'jiu jitsu' [...] To me its Gracie jiu jitsu and Brazilian jiu jitsu: its all the same thing. We sweep, we choke and we get choked. I say it both ways, it doesn't matter.
    [59]

Rickson would seem to agree, responding to the question of what he calls his style by saying simply, "I'm Rickson Gracie, I practice jujutsu, and I'm from Brazil. You can think whatever you want. Heh, heh, heh. I'm not too much into names." [60]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 10:24am

Style: ju jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you get extra points during the grading if you wear the Gracie gi, if you are being thrown onto Gracie mats? After the test if you drink from the Gracie water bottle is that a plus? Pathetic. They really ought to think of changing the name of the "university" to Kevin Trudeau Belt Marketing System.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 10:43am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although in their defence, the Gracie Combatives DVD set itself is arguably a pretty good deal. $119 for 18 hours of instruction is a lot better than many other sets out there.

E.g., Saulo's excellent Jiu Jitsu Revolution will set you back $150 for around 6 hours. Obviously its not just about quantity, but judging by their free kimura lesson, the quality of Rener and Ryron's instruction looks decent (as far as I can tell: I'm only a blue).

Of course, that doesn't excuse the hefty testing fees: $85 via video, $135 in person. That will really add up given that there is a test for every stripe of every rank, especially as I'd assume that fee will increase exponentially as you go up the ranks too.

I can understand charging for the instructor's time if you aren't already a paying member of their school (unless people training at official schools have to pay extra for testing? That would be especially disreputable), but those fees seem excessive.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 10:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the last a 'dynasty' was questioned in such a way was the ATT Certification thing from a ways back.

There were heated words from both sides, with the ATT loyalists asking the baying mob to reserve judgment until the scheme had run for a while.
    There were assurances that the brand wouldn't be diluted and there wouldn't be any confusion over ATT, ATT certified, AT&T and T&A.
    I think there was almost an ill-considered gong sau.
    The sky hasn't fallen. The world hasn't ended. Doctor Manhattan's blue penis still... sorry, tangent.

Fast forward to now, and another previously reputable brand using a marketing technique and delivery method that epitomises one of the horsemen of the martial arts Apocalypse.
    The main difference seems to be the GJJ guys, so far, haven't defended the move vehemently, seeming to choose a "it doesn't affect me, I have the real GJJ" route.
    Also known as the _ing __un defence.

I guess the main question is when can we expect the first GJJ home-study purplebelt asking for a tag?
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 10:56am

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage View Post
    As long as this video nonsense doesn't become a fad with instructors and school owners outside of this small minority, then we can control it, with ridicule and ass kickings on the mat once lineage (or lack thereof) is established.
    The bolded bit is where I worry your assumption is going to fall apart. This could easily make the gracie combatives curriculum so big that noone will remember there was such a thing as teh real gracie.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say this... there is a line in the movie "The Dark Night" that REALLY fits here..

...there will be many jokes, and that's fine, but one really applies.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I guess the main question is when can we expect the first GJJ home-study purplebelt asking for a tag?

As soon as my damn check clears!
Page 8 of 105 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011121858 ... LastLast