Page 71 of 105 FirstFirst ... 21616768697071 7273747581 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 4:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    It seems like the master's cycle might be where the money will be made...
    even then, they seem to want to keep a less money-grubbing appearance:

Q. You mentioned Purple Belt lessons and up will be purchased via subscription. If I need to cancel the subscription and some point (and maybe re-subscribe later) can I still take tests? Or do you have to be a subscriber to take the purple belt tests and/or strips for blue belt? Btw, Great site! I've been waiting for something like this for a long time!
    ansel (3/16/2009 11:36 PM)

A. Yes, you can cancel payments whenever you want and test whenever you want, no problem. You do not need to be a subscriber to test, all you need to have is a GU student profile.
    Rener

Q. Hi there, I did buy the Combatives DVD´s and do struggle to purchase the Master Circle as online lessions. Problem is I don´t have access to the internet constantly. Any way to address this problem? Best regards...
    Kimbo (10/11/2009 7:58 AM)

A. There is a slight chance that we might release the Master Cycle on DVD...stay tuned.
    Rener Gracie

Q. Hi guys, I noticed the response you guys gave to aa Master Cycle question, where u said there is a "Slight chance the Master Cycle may be released on DVD," and to stay tuned. I just wanted to say that I sincerely hope you will strongly consider doing this, I for one think learning by watching the DVDs is much easier than the computer, and I"m sure many others feel the same way. It was the first time that I had heard that you guys were considering it though, so I just wanted to add my two cents and say that I was just about doing cartwheels at the prospect of it lol, and I think that if theres any way of making it happen you guys should try and get it done. Thanks again for the awesome work you guys are doing. Keeping it real in NY..:)- Tony
    Tonyd13440 (10/12/2009 12:12 AM)

A. You're welcome. Your opinion counts.
    Gracie Academy 1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 4:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also, i found this (i knew i saw it before, just couldn't find it):

Q. I have a question about your sparring\rolling sessions. Do you allow white belts too sparr, or do you wait tell they are a higher rank. Also out of a hour class how much time do you have students sparr.
    MrFixiT (10/25/2009 8:40 PM)

A. White belts - the Combatives students do not spar. In the Master Cycle classes, students spend about 30 mins per class rolling.
    GracieAcademy8

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 4:19pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    There is a slight chance that we might release the Master Cycle on DVD...stay tuned.
    Rener Gracie
    Thanks for digging out that quote: it would be great if they managed to release them on DVD. While I can't see myself ever shelling out for online subscription with no option to download, I'd certainly be interested in purchasing a DVD version.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 11:14pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    Thanks for digging out that quote: it would be great if they managed to release them on DVD. While I can't see myself ever shelling out for online subscription with no option to download, I'd certainly be interested in purchasing a DVD version.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 5:52pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    50% sparring, thats actually a considerable amount of time.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2009 12:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: working on GJJ atm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have become even more convinced about the legitimacy of this new approach as a whole. I firmly feel these guys will ensure their Quality Assurance for the testing is up to par.

A couple weeks ago I opened my e-mail and discovered one from Ryrons personal e-mail. The personal "thanks" was a nice touch after writing some feedback. It was obvious to me after this that they keep personally involved in suggestions and feedback. This to me is a clear sign that they care about what the student thinks.

Right before the Holiday, I left a e-mail at a great local BJJ school. They have an instructor that does some conditioning so I wanted to inquire about the physical conditioning gym membership. I do not expect to hear from them until they reopen monday. This is totally acceptable, who works during off time?
    Right before the Holiday, I wrote a question in to GU. I did not expect it to get answered until Monday at the earliest. They probably have to sort through numerous questions daily. Yesterday, I noticed that Rener answered the question...during the time the academy is closed. Who works during the holiday weekend, especially when they are one of the bosses? These guys are genuine. Its ok that the gym i contacted hasnt contacted me yet. Its above and beyond expectations as a student that Rener answered students questions during holiday time, and Ryon thanked me personally for feedback.

I hope they make money through this venture. I will support it because I want it to continue,(it does in fact take money to operate a business) and I hope that some instructors take some lessons from these guys...it will improve the art.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/28/2009 12:49pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasiu View Post
    I firmly feel these guys will ensure their Quality Assurance for the testing is up to par.
    Why, exactly? What have they done to convince you this is the case, aside from provide you with good customer service?

I hope that some instructors take some lessons from these guys...it will improve the art.
    Possibly although it may also result in a rise in compliant self-defence drills instead of regular, fully resistant sparring. It could also lead those convinced by the marketing to choose long-distance video instruction, instead of attending BJJ schools on their doorstep. I can think of specific examples where that has already happened: money, a legitimate concern, doesn't appear to have been an issue in that example.

Again, that has to be qualified by the currently unknown impact of the Master Cycle, which may go some way to resolving the central issue of non-alive training.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2009 3:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: working on GJJ atm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    Why, exactly? What have they done to convince you this is the case, aside from provide you with good customer service?.
    I stated this in an ealier post, but I will restate it . I am not sure that anyone would argue the amount of work they put into creating the quality instruction videos that they did. I also dont think they would put all that effort into creating the level of instruction and then make the testing a joke. Even if the goal was money, they are intelligent and would not do themselves a service by creating "mail order" belts. I really do not think these guys eat, sleep, breath - Money. I do however think they eat, sleep, and breath Jiu-Jitsu.

innovation + passion + quality = you bet I think they will make a legimate way of testing.
    So I'm curious, before GU came out...did you think someone could make instructional videos at the level they have? I have a feeling for most, the answer is a big fat NO. Mine sure was. Do you think they arent going to place the same effort on testing? Or do you not think its possible? I do for the stated reasons.

[/quote]possibly although it may also result in a rise in compliant self-defence drills instead of regular, fully resistant sparring. It could also lead those convinced by the marketing to choose long-distance video instruction, instead of attending BJJ schools on their doorstep. I can think of specific examples where that has already happened: money, a legitimate concern, doesn't appear to have been an issue in that example.[/quote]

I think others will in fact attemp this. Only equal or better will succeed. I also think that BJJ schools will eventually see an increase in sign-up and attendance. I hope that the focus on each student (or cs, whatever you want to call it) improves accross the board. I hope this is extremely successful monitarily for GU. I just dont think they will place less effort on testing.

They money issue does remind me a bit of the people who complain about huge beautiful churches...but then fail to look at the line of homeless at the back getting their meal.

wow, did I just make that comparison? haha, Hey Ryron and Rener...you guys are feeding the jiu-jitsu poor! I say keep it up!

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    11/28/2009 3:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also dont think they would put all that effort into creating the level of instruction and then make the testing a joke. Even if the goal was money, they are intelligent and would not do themselves a service by creating "mail order" belts. I really do not think these guys eat, sleep, breath - Money. I do however think they eat, sleep, and breath Jiu-Jitsu.
    You are a sucker.

innovation + passion + quality = you bet I think they will make a legimate way of testing.
    So I'm curious, before GU came out...did you think someone could make instructional videos at the level they have?
    J J Machado has an online training scheme that precedes Gracie U and from what I've heard it's really good. He doesn't offer online testing though, so no one here has a problem with him.

. Do you think they arent going to place the same effort on testing? Or do you not think its possible? I do for the stated reasons.
    How many people are going to take these tests, are the two Gracie boys going to review every last one of them. Do you really believe they won't end up cutting corners?

wow, did I just make that comparison? haha, Hey Ryron and Rener...you guys are feeding the jiu-jitsu poor! I say keep it up!
    Yeaaaaah...

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    11/28/2009 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hang on a second, something seems off here...

Right before the Holiday, I left a e-mail at a great local BJJ school. They have an instructor that does some conditioning so I wanted to inquire about the physical conditioning gym membership.
    So there's a BJJ school available to you locally, and you want to train just conditioning with them. You have enough money to spend on conditioning classes - something that is very easy to train on your own - and you have enough to spend on the GU testing + subscription. You have access to a BJJ class, and you can afford it, but you've chosen to go with video instructions instead.

Are you a shill, or just a retard?