Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 7:23pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Rupture Clothing: American Made MMA Gear and Apparel Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy View Post
    There's a school of GJJ just down the road from me. I mistakenly assumed it would be the same as other BJJ schools.

The instructor then proceeded to lecture me at length as to how worthless sport jiu jitsu was, and that I would be rebuilding myself from the ground up, and that my sport jiu jitsu rank was worthless, and it would take many tests to see if I had mastered the self defense moves to advance, and also there's no sparring.

I wash my hands of you, GJJ.

Although having a black belt would be pretty sweet.
    I'm pretty sure I know who that person is :).

This totally sucks. I train at a Gracie Barra school and thank God they don't do any of this sh*t.

-Nick

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 8:08pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    But not all of the Gracies buy into the "skr33t vs sport" Jiu Jitsu paradigm that the Gracie Academy is pushing and I would wager that most of them don't approve of this video pimping program. So, if Gracie Academy controls the branding of the Gracie name, where does that leave all of the other sons and their black belts with regards to being lumped in with the Gracie McDojo?
    Probably changing their branding much like Gracie-Barra, so people can easily tell them apart, instead of being just GJJ.

Gracie-Alpha
    Gracie-Grapplers
    Gracie-Origins

... or whatever.

Last edited by lionknight; 3/12/2009 8:19pm at .

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 8:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    Probably changing their branding much like Gracie-Barra, so people can easily tell them apart, instead of being just GJJ.

Gracie-Alpha
    Gracie-Grapplers
    Gracie-Origins

... or whatever.
    e.g. "Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu"?

Last edited by TEA; 3/12/2009 8:41pm at .
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 8:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    e.g. "Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu"?

If he actually promotes it that way, then yes. I have always heard it as GJJ and I'm under Relson Gracie, which is not the same thing.

If he and his students promote it as RGJJ then that would do the trick or Relson BJJ (Relson Gracie BJJ) would further distance it.

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 9:17pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruptureclothing View Post
    I'm pretty sure I know who that person is :).

This totally sucks. I train at a Gracie Barra school and thank God they don't do any of this sh*t.

-Nick
    Yeah, they just hand out belts as a function of time served. :icon_wink
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 10:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he actually promotes it that way, then yes. I have always heard it as GJJ and I'm under Relson Gracie, which is not the same thing.

If he and his students promote it as RGJJ then that would do the trick or Relson BJJ (Relson Gracie BJJ) would further distance it.
    Well, our school is the Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Academy of Austin, and Relson's main page says "Relson Gracie Academia de Jiu Jitsu," so it seems to me that Relson has drawn a line between what he teaches and what they teach at the Gracie Academy in CA.

http://relsongracie.com/

Maybe if all of Helio's sons would get together, they could scotch this abomation before it goes any further.

I got my BB in TKD in '85 and stood by silently while TKD turned into the craptacular McDojang fest that it is today. I sincerely hope that those with rank in GJJ won't do the same now.
    Last edited by TEA; 3/12/2009 10:42pm at .
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 10:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, our school is the Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Academy of Austin, and Relson's main page says "Relson Gracie Academia de Jiu Jitsu," so it seems to me that Relson has drawn a line between what he teaches and what they teach at the Gracie Academy in CA.

http://relsongracie.com/

Maybe if all of Helio's sons would get together, they could scotch this abomation before it goes any further.

I got my BB in TKD in '85 and stood by silently while TKD turned into the craptacular McDojang fest that it is today. I sincerely hope that those with rank in GJJ won't do the same now.
    Yeah - that's cool, what he is doing would be what I'm talking about. Smart way to go if they don't want the whole Gracie Academy thing to fall on them and I can't think of anyone that would want that.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 11:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah - that's cool, what he is doing would be what I'm talking about. Smart way to go if they don't want the whole Gracie Academy thing to fall on them and I can't think of anyone that would want that.
    Well, yes and no. It's a pretty fine line and not that obvious to anyone not well versed in GJJ/BJJ (e.g. the total noobs who are looking for training). Also, while there is a fine line of separation, there is nothing that explicitly states "we are differenct that the Gracie Academy." Some could read this as a tacit acceptance of the McDojoism of the Gracie Academy.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 11:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank God Mine has Carlson Gracie's big ass logo on the back of their Gi's...

Its funny because his symbol is also a triangle... Just red and fully of dogs... WTF is with it... Honestly man you get a Free Mesh ish Shirt logo shirt too, really shows they want to make a brand.

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 12:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: rugby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But not all of the Gracies buy into the "skr33t vs sport" Jiu Jitsu paradigm that the Gracie Academy is pushing and I would wager that most of them don't approve of this video pimping program. So, if Gracie Academy controls the branding of the Gracie name, where does that leave all of the other sons and their black belts with regards to being lumped in with the Gracie McDojo?

like i said, my school is under direct lineage with Rolyer's Gracie Humaita in Brazil. None of this Gracie university stuff has anything to do with him, or his brother Rolker or Graice Humaita (the original dojo)
    www.academiagracie.com.br/

I also assume it has nothing to with Rickson, Robin and Royce who all have their own schools as well.

The Gracie University is ONLY connected WITH the "The GJJ Acdemy" http://www.gracieacademy.com which is controlled by Rorion and his sons... (i think it's HQ is in California. You know where al bundy and Dr 90210 train....and where you can by the juice bag!)
Page 7 of 105 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910111757 ... LastLast