Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 9:01pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerdavy View Post
    The idea of always going all out seems crazy, also. People tend to learn best with a mixture of the two extremes.
    You don't have to go all out during sparring, just provide full resistance. It is possible to do that while staying relaxed: e.g., sometimes when you watch two black belts spar, it's like they're asleep, using timing and experience rather than power and aggression (which tends to be a white belt's favourite attributes).

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    You don't have to go all out during sparring, just provide full resistance. It is possible to do that while staying relaxed: e.g., sometimes when you watch two black belts spar, it's like they're asleep, using timing and experience rather than power and aggression (which tends to be a white belt's favourite attributes).
    I personally enjoy the people going all out, because I get an opponent who is spazzing out of ****, so i can focus on improving ****. As somone who is both lazy and weak, I am greatly helped by others effort.

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 1:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    As somone who is both lazy and weak, I am greatly helped by others effort.
    Heh - I guess I must be both lazier and weaker, as I much prefer a more passive, relaxed roll. Then again, you're a Carlson guy. :icon_wink

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 9:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    Heh - I guess I must be both lazier and weaker, as I much prefer a more passive, relaxed roll. Then again, you're a Carlson guy. :icon_wink
    well see i was going for the idea that I'm lazy because I don't really go out in full out sparring, even when the other guys is, I just chill. (lately I've been getting the half guard sweep more easily than guard ones so its chill a licious.)

Back on subject,

I think I convinced my brother to enroll in the online courses, I'll see how its helped next time I meet him (unless its really soon.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 4:15am

Style: BJJ/GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Slidey - did this help with your gf's problems?

Cheers, Sap.

Quote Originally Posted by sapateiro View Post
    That's a good example - and it's done at the end of the beginners 'maintaining topmount' class, so in that respect, yes, there is sparring for the beginners.

I agree that nothing can replace a live instructor in terms of being able to feel the problems & help students work through them. To help with those particular issues a little:

A) Trapping the foot: Perhaps instead of placing her trapping foot flat on the ground, she could angle that knee away from the opponent & use the flat of the foot to push the opponents ankle. This often enables the foot to get higher and the trap to be more robust.

B) Bridging: The closer the feet are to your butt, the higher the bridge. This can be further enhanced by going onto the toes in a training environment. There should be very little strength involved if the focus is up (with a slight angle towards the rolling side <say 20 degrees>, and no effort made to roll the opponent sideways until fully bridged (I like his head to touch the floor before thinking about a sideways movement). Don't forget to ensure that the non trapping foot is in-between the opponents feet so he doesn't accidently 'get a hook in'. The roll should be onto the shoulder and no strain put on the neck or traps.

I hope this helps, feel free to PM me if she wants more help.

I agree. Nothing beats a real class with live instruction... Provided it's quality instruction ;-)

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 4:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sapateiro View Post
    Hey Slidey - did this help with your gf's problems?

Cheers, Sap.
    Sorry, meant to drop you a PM: we went through the first lesson again a couple of days ago, and she definitely found it easier to trap the foot following your advice. Still needs some work on bridging, but hopefully she'll get that down with a bit more practice. Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 4:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i found this on the Q&A forum, thought it would add to the discussion about the philosophy behind what's being taught.

Q. Hi Guys, first of all let me again express my love to the way you teach Jiu Jitsu. I´m a big fan and the opinion that you are doing an excellent job. However, I ask myself, how come that there are no GJJ practitioners from your academy in Torrance, besides Gracie family members, that are successful on a high level? And I haven´t seen anyone at the big tournaments (Mundials or ADCC). Why is that? Many thanks and best regards
    Kimbo (11/3/2009 9:03 AM)
    A. As kids, Ryron and I competed in several tournaments. After I was awarded my black belt, I had the opportunity to compete against a a few world champions, in different competitions. Even though I was victorious against these high level opponents, after the matches I started realizing how much I was modifying my jiu-jitsu techniques and mindset to prevail in the tournament setting. I noticed that I was developing habits that would be counter productive in a real fight, during which there would be no rules, weight classes, time limits or judges to save me if I exhausted all my energy prematurely. Although there are many benefits to sportive jiu-jitsu competition - fun, excitement, camaraderie, challenge - my brothers and I concluded that if success in the sportive setting would require us to abandon the foundational principles of patience, energy efficiency, and street applicability on which Gracie Jiu-Jitsu was built, it would not be worth the sacrifice, so we stopped focusing on tournament preparation and dedicated all our efforts to practicing and perpetuating the art in its purest, street applicable, and most universally effective form.
    GracieAcademy8

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 8:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know about you guys

but I feel the best way to learn a martial art is through a non responsive DVD

there is nothing better than being told your doing an amazingly great job and the black belt is yours while attempting (and failing) to do a triangle to thin air in the comfort of your own sheltered home

who needs dojo's when you have a dvd player

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 3:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Triangleofdoom View Post
    I dont know about you guys

but I feel the best way to learn a martial art is through a non responsive DVD

there is nothing better than being told your doing an amazingly great job and the black belt is yours while attempting (and failing) to do a triangle to thin air in the comfort of your own sheltered home

who needs dojo's when you have a dvd player
    i don't know about you guys, but i'm getting kinda tired of the same erroneous assumptions about Gracie University.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 5:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    i don't know about you guys, but i'm getting kinda tired of the same erroneous assumptions about Gracie University.
    I can see where you our, over the course of this thread the general view has changed due to more understanding.