Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 1:30pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judging by the DVDs and website, the infamous Dr Rey blue belt test was atypical. Normally, testing for blue belt via video at Gracie University looks like this:

YouTube - BBQD Mount

YouTube - BBQD Guard

YouTube - BBQD Side Mount

YouTube - BBQD Standing

YouTube - BBQD Freestyle

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 10:51pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do expect from a guy whose name is pronounced suspiciously whore ing (still If you guys pay the black belt guy will do it, he even offered to make errors to test if they just pass everyone.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 1:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alumynabjj View Post
    that idiot passed So please don't preach to us about the wonderful Rener and Ryron the off spring of Whorion. That dude is respected by nobody in the Gracie family. Hell, he is actually hated.
    there's a crucial hole in this argument: this video is from 2007, which pre-dates the finalization of the Gracie Combatives course. aside from that, this dude is taking the test in person (*this is currently an option, but i don't think that everyone wants to fly to California to test and maybe pass), and it looks like it was done at the older Gracie academy (they've moved around in Torrance).
    however, i would like to note that just about everything i saw him (and Ryron) doing were recognizable moves from the GC curriculum. they even implemented an idea i had of what a "bad guy" could do to nullify his urge to do jits: put on boxing gloves. also, do you think E! showed, or wanted to show, the entire test? video editing can definitely change perception.
    Last edited by gonzomalan; 10/22/2009 1:28am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 1:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    What do expect from a guy whose name is pronounced suspiciously whore ing (still If you guys pay the black belt guy will do it, he even offered to make errors to test if they just pass everyone.)
    it struck me that the punch block series is rather important to the test, and a person would probably not pass without demonstrating proficiency at it. the bb would either have to buy those lessons online (2x$8), or buy the entire series. oh, and he'd have to set up a profile (easy).

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 1:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    it struck me that the punch block series is rather important to the test, and a person would probably not pass without demonstrating proficiency at it. the bb would either have to buy those lessons online (2x$8), or buy the entire series. oh, and he'd have to set up a profile (easy).

This is the Black belt who seemed to think it was fun, (so long as some one else payed)

http://www.overtimemma.com/staff/jeffneal.htm

basically this could be a good way to investigate it, as he thinks they won't recognize him and he wanted a blue belt :love5:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 1:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    he wanted a blue belt :love5:
    you mean he's willing to trade in his 2nd degree carlson bb for a a certified torrance gracie jiu jitsu blue belt? awesome. haha.
    looks like a swell dude, but i don't see any contact info.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    10/23/2009 8:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    you mean he's willing to trade in his 2nd degree carlson bb for a a certified torrance gracie jiu jitsu blue belt? awesome. haha.
    looks like a swell dude, but i don't see any contact info.
    I'll have to check up with him then, and figure out if he's willing to do it for sure, and not just joke

Yea, well you know just because a far better Jujitsu Player and fighter gave you a black belt, it still doesn't work on T3h St33TS

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 7:16am

Style: BJJ/GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point. Turtle guard anyone? JJ Machado's debut against Frank Trigg is a good example of a sportive BJJ world champion not being prepared for a non-sportive environment.

That been said, the guys with Carlsons lineage do have a bias to 'keeping it real' vale tudo styleee...

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 7:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sapateiro View Post
    Good point. Turtle guard anyone? JJ Machado's debut against Frank Trigg is a good example of a sportive BJJ world champion not being prepared for a non-sportive environment.

That been said, the guys with Carlsons lineage do have a bias to 'keeping it real' vale tudo styleee...
    demonstrated through Carlson's book being 1/3 MMA...

I'm gonna ask the guy again tomorrow.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2009 10:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo/Wing Chun/Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wow, what has happened!

Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    Oh go **** yourself. Video instruction is complete Bullshido crapola ****.

I'm tired of this crappy thread and how it has gone to a fucking worthless crapola "gee fuckwad, what techniques (on that worthless fucking video ****) are good for sticking my head up my ass???"

So fucking go work out. I don't believe that there are places that don't have any good training. For BJJ, ten years ago I'd have to drive an hour and a half, five years ago, forty five minutes, today, ten. Where do you guys live, Antartica?

And if you really want to discuss techniques, suck your fucking pink little balls up, and go to Basic and Misc. Fighting Technique Discussion or if it's on a higher level, Advanced Grappling Discussion Forum - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sambo, Judo, etc. instead of hiding out here giving a level of legitimacy to fucking video training manure.
    Whoa! I haven't read this thread in a while, but these are the types of people who are now responding? I realize this was back in July, but again, wow! It started, when I was posting, a well thought out adult conversation and it looks as in most posts it is, but then this guy. I stopped reading and decided to respond to this.

I trained at a BJJ school and a good one at that. I was laid off. I didn't have the money to continue and still don't as of now due to the great economy. This, GU, has provided me with an opportunity to continue my training, does this make it bad then?

My previous argument, what happens if a GU guy beats a BJJ guy from a "real" school, then what does that say about GU, let me guess the response "he got lucky?" What if the trend continues and GU practitioners begin to experience success? Then what do we say?

Notice I have not used any profanity, I can present an argument intelligently (I had to add that, because it amazes me how neolithic we can become). Please respond to this intelligently, otherwise I will just laugh at you like the rest of us do and wonder about how much time you spend searching for pictures on the internet than actually training.

Get a girlfriend, it will ease your frustration.