221944 Bullies, 4058 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 621 to 630 of 1046
Page 63 of 105 FirstFirst ... 13535960616263 6465666773 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. gonzomalan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    too close to San Francisco, CA, US
    Posts
    293

    Posted On:
    10/18/2009 1:02pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    And none of them are doing the belt testing option. Who gives a **** about belts?
    you need something to close the kurtka, right? ;-)
  2. Diesel_tke is offline
    Diesel_tke's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,006

    Posted On:
    10/18/2009 8:09pm

    supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    you need something to close the kurtka, right? ;-)
    Exactly!!!
  3. Sley is offline

    mr. Hobbes

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,390

    Posted On:
    10/19/2009 1:30am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but you have to pass the belt thingy to get to the master cycle videos
  4. gonzomalan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    too close to San Francisco, CA, US
    Posts
    293

    Posted On:
    10/19/2009 2:08pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    but you have to pass the belt thingy to get to the master cycle videos
    haha, i completely forgot about that part. good point.
  5. Sley is offline

    mr. Hobbes

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,390

    Posted On:
    10/19/2009 7:30pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    haha, i completely forgot about that part. good point.
    Also you need the belt to teach, which is why they shouldn't allow any belts, they should just Open the whole thing up, no belts, but all the techniques could be bought, I might actually buy then. But why does say a purple belt from somewhere else need to relearn these 36 moves?
  6. sapateiro is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    105

    Posted On:
    10/20/2009 4:50am


     Style: BJJ/GJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    Also you need the belt to teach, which is why they shouldn't allow any belts, they should just Open the whole thing up, no belts, but all the techniques could be bought, I might actually buy then. But why does say a purple belt from somewhere else need to relearn these 36 moves?
    Some good points.

    Firstly if all the techniques were available to choose to buy, guys would buy what they perceived to be the coolest moves. And what's the point in being great at the omoplata from guard if you can't escape from under topmount? The techniques are carefully ordered to allow the students to gradually build up their awareness & their confidence at the basics before moving on.

    Secondly, 95% of BJJ clubs out there are sportive - and as a result a purple belt from another club probably won't know the techniques 'for the street'. We've seen plenty of examples of this. In fact we've had purple belts train that have big chunks missing out of the basics like the elbow escape.

    But with things like armbar from topmount, someone with previous experience will obviously have the gross body mechanics down, and will only have to fine-tune the details. This should mean they accelerate through the programme quicker.
  7. Sley is offline

    mr. Hobbes

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,390

    Posted On:
    10/20/2009 9:13pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sapateiro View Post
    Some good points.

    Firstly if all the techniques were available to choose to buy, guys would buy what they perceived to be the coolest moves. And what's the point in being great at the omoplata from guard if you can't escape from under topmount? The techniques are carefully ordered to allow the students to gradually build up their awareness & their confidence at the basics before moving on.

    Secondly, 95% of BJJ clubs out there are sportive - and as a result a purple belt from another club probably won't know the techniques 'for the street'. We've seen plenty of examples of this. In fact we've had purple belts train that have big chunks missing out of the basics like the elbow escape.

    But with things like armbar from topmount, someone with previous experience will obviously have the gross body mechanics down, and will only have to fine-tune the details. This should mean they accelerate through the programme quicker.
    I see where your going here, I don't really have this problem so I often over look it (head BJJ instructor is also MMA coach.)

    Speak of, he is a second Degree Black belt Carlson Sr. He said he would be happy to submit a test, posing as a white Belt, to test its legitimacy. So long as some one else payed :)

    We shoud so get a 5 degree Black belt like Carlson Jr. or some one thats a better Grappler to submit a test, it would be priceless
  8. gonzomalan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    too close to San Francisco, CA, US
    Posts
    293

    Posted On:
    10/21/2009 2:49am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    I see where your going here, I don't really have this problem so I often over look it (head BJJ instructor is also MMA coach.)

    Speak of, he is a second Degree Black belt Carlson Sr. He said he would be happy to submit a test, posing as a white Belt, to test its legitimacy. So long as some one else payed :)

    We shoud so get a 5 degree Black belt like Carlson Jr. or some one thats a better Grappler to submit a test, it would be priceless
    i seriously might be willing to chip in some funds for the purpose of objectively measuring any bullshido present in Gracie U.
    seriously. anyone else want in? test fee is USD $85
  9. Ben Grimm is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    China
    Posts
    440

    Posted On:
    10/21/2009 3:23am


     Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm willing to throw in some cash.
  10. alumynabjj is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    13

    Posted On:
    10/21/2009 10:39am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    i've mentioned this before, but it apparently bears repeating: there is no guarantee of a pass. also worth repeating: if i understand correctly, there's about 35-40 years of teaching experience between Ryron and Rener, so if they're watching video submissions, they know when someone's half-assing the bad guy behaviour and when someone's half-assing the jiu-jitsu. on the Q&A forum, iirc, they stated that they fail about 50% of submissions, so just because you can find a crap video of people's blue belt qualification drills, doesn't mean that video got them a passing score.
    sheesh.
    YouTube - Gracie Insider Bonus - Dr Rey Blue Belt Test


    that idiot passed So please don't preach to us about the wonderful Rener and Ryron the off spring of Whorion. That dude is respected by nobody in the Gracie family. Hell, he is actually hated.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.