232516 Bullies, 3949 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 591 to 600 of 1046
Page 60 of 105 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960 6162636470 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Ben Grimm is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    China
    Posts
    440

    Posted On:
    10/10/2009 1:18am


     Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The one's I have also look more sport oriented than street oriented.
  2. Ben Grimm is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    China
    Posts
    440

    Posted On:
    10/10/2009 3:33am


     Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either way, I don't think the program is completely useful, I mean without any real supervision and hands on training..... it's just a not-so-practical way of instruction IMHO.
  3. slideyfoot is offline
    slideyfoot's Avatar

    Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    2,489

    Posted On:
    10/10/2009 4:09am

    Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Either way, I don't think the program is completely useful, I mean without any real supervision and hands on training..... it's just a not-so-practical way of instruction IMHO.
    Have you had a chance to read the rest of the thread yet? That's been discussed at length, if you're interested in exploring the topic. However, the central problem is the issue of online belt testing, which I babbled about extensively here.
  4. Sley is offline

    mr. Hobbes

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,390

    Posted On:
    10/10/2009 4:30pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    Have you had a chance to read the rest of the thread yet? That's been discussed at length, if you're interested in exploring the topic. However, the central problem is the issue of online belt testing, which I babbled about extensively here.
    I think people also have a problem with their claims that, it won't work in tournaments but it will on T3H St33ts

    but at least a good NHB match could prove them otherwise.
  5. slideyfoot is offline
    slideyfoot's Avatar

    Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    2,489

    Posted On:
    10/10/2009 4:55pm

    Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    I think people also have a problem with their claims that, it won't work in tournaments but it will on T3H St33ts.
    Yep, hence why I also put this in the review.

    In short, the online belt testing is an obvious problem, but the attempted distinction between 'sport' and 'self defence' is potentially just as dangerous in the long term. As soon as a style starts claiming tournaments aren't sufficiently 'real', it can become a slippery slope.

    That line of thinking begins by denigrating competition, then sparring isn't 'street' enough, until eventually all you're left with are compliant drills, rather than sparring grounded in a training methodology based around aliveness. Essentially, Kano's revolution in reverse.

    From what he's posted in this thread and elsewhere, sapateiro's approach sounds more robust than the philosophy espoused on Gracie University, in that his club appears to cover self defence, but still regularly enter competitions.
  6. Sley is offline

    mr. Hobbes

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,390

    Posted On:
    10/10/2009 5:19pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    Yep, hence why I also put this in the review.

    In short, the online belt testing is an obvious problem, but the attempted distinction between 'sport' and 'self defence' is potentially just as dangerous in the long term. As soon as a style starts claiming tournaments aren't sufficiently 'real', it can become a slippery slope.

    That line of thinking begins by denigrating competition, then sparring isn't 'street' enough, until eventually all you're left with are compliant drills, rather than sparring grounded in a training methodology based around aliveness. Essentially, Kano's revolution in reverse.

    From what he's posted in this thread and elsewhere, sapateiro's approach sounds more robust than the philosophy espoused on Gracie University, in that his club appears to cover self defence, but still regularly enter competitions.
    You know if they didn't make all those claims about being better then sport, or give them the ability to teach once at Blue Belt I would have no problem at all.
  7. Kickbox is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    112

    Posted On:
    10/12/2009 3:05pm


     Style: Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    I can't believe that Graice Jiu Jitsu is adopting McDojoism.

    https://www.gracieuniversity.com/LC/...3QJ4TGT7X&n=28

    "To honor the legacy of Helio Graci"? Looks more like they're trying to cash in on his legacy.

    "We will be with you every step of the way"? Via video? Common, how are they going to provide quality instruction via video? While video can be a useful tool for instruction, it is no substitute for physical interaction between instructors and students.
    They are after all "Gracies". Their parents would approve of finding new ways to carry on the tradition.:angel7:
  8. sapateiro is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    105

    Posted On:
    10/13/2009 5:35am


     Style: BJJ/GJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    You know if they didn't make all those claims about being better then sport, or give them the ability to teach once at Blue Belt I would have no problem at all.
    Well, the claim is obviously valid if you think about it... Want to defend yourself on the street? Train self defense. Want to do well in tournaments? Train sportive jiu jitsu. Self defense is BETTER than sport for street preparation, just as sportive training is BETTER than self defense for winning tournaments.

    But as slidey said, you can have your cake & eat it. Just do both.
  9. Kickbox is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    112

    Posted On:
    10/13/2009 2:05pm


     Style: Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the tapes could be useful. i wouldn't pay for them but some would. there is still a market for the Gracie linage jujitsu.
  10. gonzomalan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    too close to San Francisco, CA, US
    Posts
    293

    Posted On:
    10/13/2009 10:00pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbox View Post
    They are after all "Gracies". Their parents would approve of finding new ways to carry on the tradition.:angel7:
    well, i don't think so. the Gracie family is huge, and it has had some charlatans, but not this lineage (Helio->Rorion->Ryron, Rener). Helio, according to him, developed bjj from jjj/judo. Rorion created the UFC, but after years of trying to make it in the U.S. (he panhandled at one point, before having a garage from which to teach bjj). plus, he sold his interest in the UFC after having to institute these things called "rules".

    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbox View Post
    I think the tapes could be useful. i wouldn't pay for them but some would. there is still a market for the Gracie linage jujitsu.
    the instruction is really good, imho, regardless of the family name. reading from slidey's training log, it seems even just training with his girlfriend has gotten some of the techniques in the Combatives series to become useful or natural for him, and he is a Roger Gracie blue belt. (note: i don't mean to speak for him, i respectfully mention this because this is one example i think would be useful here).
    also, it isn't a re-hash of the Rorion/Royce tapes. it's much more detailed, much more self-defense oriented, and definitely updated in techniques. Ryron and Rener are not only Helio Gracie black belts, they are also Helio Gracie certified professors of jiu-jitsu, something not easily had.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.