Page 59 of 105 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859 6061626369 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 3:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pLackR.brizzL
    i just don't see how one could attain a blue belt sitting behind a computer on line...
    proof that you don't know what you're talking about.

also, the Gracie Combatives/Gracie University is geared toward street fighting, not grappler's quest or mma, so it depends on 1)what kind of rules, if any, you would want to carry a match out under, and 2) the level of dedication each person put into their training.
    Last edited by gonzomalan; 10/09/2009 3:13am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 3:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pLackR.brizzL View Post
    And by the way idiot,this thread is called Gracie University..Which real guys know that this is online learning,nobody's talking about dvd's you ass clown.
    i believe you are, in fact, the one who is the ass clown, because the dvds contain the exact same teaching that is available online as the first part of Gracie University, so the two may be used interchangeably to refer to the Gracie Combatives course.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 3:34am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    Could you be specific? I'd be interested to know exactly which lessons had these holes, as it might be helpful for updating my review.
    Slidey, I just now read your review for the first time. Props to the extensive write-up firstly. Secondly: At the end of your review you talk about being tempted to try the online blue belt test online. Have you done it by any chance or do you know someone who did?

Cheers,
    P.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 3:48am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    At the end of your review you talk about being tempted to try the online blue belt test online. Have you done it by any chance or do you know someone who did?
    I haven't, but my girlfriend was interested in trying the course, so I've been working through it with her for a while now. However, I'm not sure she'll ever bother actually doing the test (may not be interested enough to pay $85) or indeed complete the whole thirty six lessons.

Its normally just ten or fifteen minutes at most going through one slice on random days, so after almost three months, she's only up to the first slice of lesson four.

Given my tendency to write everything down, I've been taking notes each time. Its interesting to see what she has trouble with and her comments on the course. Once (or rather, if) she finishes, I'll edit those into a follow-up post to the review (presuming she gives me permission, of course).

Mainly I'm just happy she's willing to do anything BJJ related.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 5:25am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's pretty interesting. I'd be very interested in those notes as I got the DVDs sitting on my desk (not time to even open them yet) from the time I was an editor.

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 5:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    That's pretty interesting. I'd be very interested in those notes as I got the DVDs sitting on my desk (not time to even open them yet) from the time I was an editor.
    In the mean time, this guy has been blogging his experience learning from the DVDs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 4:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    ...i want to wax about the possible merits of teaching even if you don't have a "complete" game....
    apparently, i'm not as thoughtful as i consider myself to be, i'm just forgetful. i read the details of MCMAP on wikipedia, and conveniently forgot that they have a similar system to what i thought of. note: their belt colors go tan->grey->green->brown->black, for practical reasons.
    an instructor-level green belt can teach and certify belts up to grey, and can also teach skills up to green, but cannot certify green belts. browns can teach up to brown, but can only certify up to green, &c.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 5:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    apparently, i'm not as thoughtful as i consider myself to be, i'm just forgetful. i read the details of MCMAP on wikipedia, and conveniently forgot that they have a similar system to what i thought of. note: their belt colors go tan->grey->green->brown->black, for practical reasons.
    an instructor-level green belt can teach and certify belts up to grey, and can also teach skills up to green, but cannot certify green belts. browns can teach up to brown, but can only certify up to green, &c.
    hehe it only takes 62 hours of training to get a BB...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 1:01am

Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops, my bad. I wasn't talking about the combatives DVD. I have the other ones they sell on their site with Whorion trying to teach their system with Royce.

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 1:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Oops, my bad. I wasn't talking about the combatives DVD. I have the other ones they sell on their site with Whorion trying to teach their system with Royce.
    Ah, yes, those are quite different. I've got reviews of those too (GJJ category here, starting with this), but they're mainly interesting from a historical perspective, rather than useful for improving technique. Rorion's DVDs have very much been surpassed by his sons' release.