Page 57 of 105 First ... 74753545556575859606167 ... Last
  1. #561

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,390
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just want to know, where is this retarded school where people don't learn how to pull guard and just kinda jump on people?

    Why do people only Train in BJJ and not striking? (are they to broke?)

  2. #562

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    China
    Posts
    440
    Style
    Baji, Boxing, Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Torrance, California

  3. #563

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    105
    Style
    BJJ/GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    I just want to know, where is this retarded school where people don't learn how to pull guard and just kinda jump on people?

    Why do people only Train in BJJ and not striking? (are they to broke?)
    Most sportive schools will teach you to jump guard getting your legs as high as possible under the opponents armpits to make it easier to break his posture & more difficult for him to stay standing & do the 'knee push & shake' pass. It's perfectly valid for IBJJF rules as you can't be slammed.

    But try it on the street & you're toast. Slideys photo shows the difference between pulling & jumping guard nicely. Ben Grimm seems to be a little confused. Torrance is one of the only places you'll learn NEVER to jump guard in a real scenario, and they'll also tell you that any form of pulling guard is a last resort - when you'll otherwise end up under a dominant position.

    80% of BJJ students just do BJJ without striking.

  4. #564
    You have to work the look. supporting member
    CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bat Country
    Posts
    3,077
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jumping, pulling - really, who gives a ****? Pulling guard is for when you're already going down and you wand to minimise your fuckedness.

    If you're going to insist on intentionally going to ground like that, have some class and do this instead


  5. #565
    slideyfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    2,493
    Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Jumping, pulling - really, who gives a ****? Pulling guard is for when you're already going down and you wand to minimise your fuckedness.
    That's how Rener presents it: he repeatedly emphasises that your goal is to be on top, so this is very much a last resort. To quote him directly from the Mindset Minute at the end of Lesson 21 (which is something they do for every lesson - basically just Rener and Ryron going over main points):

    Quote Originally Posted by Rener
    You've got to keep in mind that pulling guard is a back up option to taking your opponent down and ending up on top of him.

    If you have a choice, of course every time, you establish the clinch, you want to establish a tight control, go for that leg hook, go for the body fold, and end up on top of the fight. You want to get to mount, it makes it so much easier in the long run. It saves you a lot of time.

    So remember, its an emergency escape option, only when you really can't make it happen and take that person down.

  6. #566

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    too close to San Francisco, CA, US
    Posts
    293
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    That's how Rener presents it: he repeatedly emphasises that your goal is to be on top, so this is very much a last resort.
    to add to this, for the overkill on clarity, Rener and Ryron emphasise getting to the dominant position in every lesson, and most slices (parts) of each lesson, not just the guard pulling lesson.
    Last edited by gonzomalan; 10/07/2009 2:30pm at .

  7. #567

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,390
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am starting to get it, just as I realized last time I competed a lot of BJJ is full of some serious fail.

    Basically 50% of the schools suck, and 5% or so epically suck

  8. #568

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    too close to San Francisco, CA, US
    Posts
    293
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol, i clicked on the ad at the top of the page for the bjj video encyclopedia, and halfway through the trailer, i saw the guy literally jumping guard

    http://www.bjjvideoencyclopedia.com/...FRcjawodbzYQiA

    it's a little past the halfway point, after the "arm drag sweep" and "outer hook sweep (on ground)". so yes, sometimes that's taught, and sometimes people pay to learn it. hopefully that's in a section specific to grappling matches.

  9. #569

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,390
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    lol, i clicked on the ad at the top of the page for the bjj video encyclopedia, and halfway through the trailer, i saw the guy literally jumping guard

    http://www.bjjvideoencyclopedia.com/...FRcjawodbzYQiA

    it's a little past the halfway point, after the "arm drag sweep" and "outer hook sweep (on ground)". so yes, sometimes that's taught, and sometimes people pay to learn it. hopefully that's in a section specific to grappling matches.
    some one needs to go around and KTFO these BJJ "masters" their ruining the sport with craptasticness.

  10. #570

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    too close to San Francisco, CA, US
    Posts
    293
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    some one needs to go around and KTFO these BJJ "masters" their ruining the sport with craptasticness.
    maybe a Gracie Combatives blue belt will do the job - LOL:karated:

Page 57 of 105 First ... 74753545556575859606167 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO