Page 56 of 105 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556 5758596066 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 8:05pm

Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, he got me good. But what can I do about it? These days it's so easy to fake one's credentials. I'm disgusted, but at least now I can walk away from it knowing that the guy is full of it, and I can keep others from making the same mistake. I think I'll just stick with my CMA from now on.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 9:27pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by symphox View Post
    We're all freakin out about this crap but wait... has anyone even been awarded a blue belt yet through this program? If so... would that person walk into a real BJJ/GJJ academy and attempt to train there as a real blue belt?

It is highly doubtful that any person (even one stupid enough to buy into this DVD business) would be so retarded as to try to pass as a REAL trained GJJ practitioner in a real dojo. I wouldn't worry at all guys...except for Ben Grimm who got HOSED... LOL@U

No but they might start teaching new people. The site says blue belts can teach up to blue belt, yes you heard me.

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 9:33pm

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is an aikido dojo that I know of that also has GJJ training. I thought that was like dividing by zero but things make more sense now . :-(
    Last edited by nightowl; 10/04/2009 10:14pm at .

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 10:05pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok fine Carlson tied a few fights, but he was 17, fucking 17 years old and he beat the **** out of the guy who beat helio

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 1:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    Ok fine Carlson tied a few fights, but he was 17, fucking 17 years old and he beat the **** out of the guy who beat helio
    you mean a young, hungry, prideful brazilian beat someone up? being guatemalan, i'm of the opinion that extreme times raise extreme people.
    'sides, Helio was like 42 at the time of his fight with santana, who was 23, and Helio had already built and pretty much left his vale tudo/jujutsu fighting career.... and Helio lost via exhaustion due to 3.66 hours of fighting.

this is a thread derail anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 1:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by symphox View Post
    We're all freakin out about this crap but wait... has anyone even been awarded a blue belt yet through this program? If so... would that person walk into a real BJJ/GJJ academy and attempt to train there as a real blue belt?
    this has also been addressed in this thread. the general feeling, iirc, is that you don't bring in rank from another dojo, no matter if you go from home study to a dojo, or from one dojo to another. you let the instructor use his/her assesment of your skill. until then, you're a white belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Yeah, he got me good. But what can I do about it? These days it's so easy to fake one's credentials. I'm disgusted, but at least now I can walk away from it knowing that the guy is full of it, and I can keep others from making the same mistake. I think I'll just stick with my CMA from now on.
    i would still like to know, do you feel like a blue belt?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 1:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    No but they might start teaching new people. The site says blue belts can teach up to blue belt, yes you heard me.
    i think this is an interesting concept, actually. before i get into my precariously relevant thoughts, i want to point out that the instructor is not awarding the belt, or at least shouldn't be; rank is still handed out via video submission/evaluation on the GU website.
    that said, i want to wax about the possible merits of teaching even if you don't have a "complete" game. people are generally okay with purple belts teaching, even though they're not browns, with the idea that they know enough to pass on concepts and skills. in a similar vein, i think blues have skills that they can pass onto white belts. of course the quality won't be nearly as polished, but thirsty is thirsty: if you want to learn bjj, you'll drink from whatever fountain you can find, and this program's details seem to be in order such that they don't give half-assed instruction. their training curriculum also has teaching methods to help pass skills on more easily.
    to use an analogy, do i really have to have my differential equations and multivariable calculus down to be able to teach addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and fractions to people who don't know? or even exponents?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 12:32pm

Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    i would still like to know, do you feel like a blue belt?
    Honestly, I just don't give a **** right now. I got cheated, others got cheated. I'm not officially ranked as a blue belt, but that doesn't mean I can't roll a little. I might not be the best at it, but I'll still roll with anyone. Only way I'm going to improve.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 9:34am

Style: BJJ/GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    You have absolutely no grappling experience whatsoever do you?
    "EXplosive Bridging" is what every athletic noob does to try to get out of mount. Guess how often it works?

Now, who the **** goes into a situation vs an untrained guy thinking "I'm gonna have to jump guard on this guy..." You jump guard when your opponent is likely to have better takedowns than you do. How many untrained people have better takedowns than me? None.

My default strategy against people w/ crappy takedowns is to cover up, get close, clinch, duck under to the back, RNC.
    Re: explosive bridging... That was exactly my point.

Re: jumping guard. My point was that guys that focus purely on sportive BJJ often build reflexes like jumping guard. NEVER jump guard on the street, learn to pull guard whilst keeping your feet on the ground like in the combatives programme.

Re: Whether you have the best takedowns in the world or not (as you say) is irrelevant when someone swings a haymaker from close range. Non-sportive training is necessary to deal with that.

Re: questioning whether I've ever grappled. Do your homework. I teach 30 hours per week, and own a 6500ft2 gracie jiu jitsu academy. But I'm not here to measure dick sizes, I'm here to discuss gracie jiu jitsu so let's not personal, eh?

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 10:04am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Now, who the **** goes into a situation vs an untrained guy thinking "I'm gonna have to jump guard on this guy..." You jump guard when your opponent is likely to have better takedowns than you do. How many untrained people have better takedowns than me?
    Quote Originally Posted by sapateiro View Post
    Re: jumping guard. My point was that guys that focus purely on sportive BJJ often build reflexes like jumping guard. NEVER jump guard on the street, learn to pull guard whilst keeping your feet on the ground like in the combatives programme.
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    slidey's review has an important note on the guard pulling:

"It is also important to note that Rener and Ryron are not saying flop to your back, or jump up and wrap your legs around them (which is asking to be slammed to the ground)."
    Yes: just to clarify on that in case people are having trouble picturing it, I'll link a picture from the review, where I describe the process in detail.

You can see Ryron on the left has a grip on Rener's shoulders and is crouching down, in the process of moving backwards, ready to sit into guard. Like sapateiro says, your feet stay on the ground, you don't jump.