Page 50 of 105 FirstFirst ... 404647484950 5152535460100 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 1:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    So you are saying that I should Quit training under my Carlson Gracie BJJ black belt, and instead train online because he is not affiliated with Garice Barra?
    why yes, of course, that is exactly it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 2:30pm

Style: BJJ/GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you are saying that I should Quit training under my Carlson Gracie BJJ black belt, and instead train online because he is not affiliated with Garice Barra? Classic, just classic GJJ...
    I'm not saying that at all. I simply said that IMO it's a good series.

And... The response was to someone who couldn't get to a school, I'm not suggesting anyone leave a real club (did you even read me previous post?).

And... if by 'garice barra' you mean 'gracie barra' you couldn't be more wrong - you've got entirely the wrong side of the family, dude.

And... It's ironic that someone who's learning 'jiu jitsu' under a 'carlson gracie' affiliate should mock 'gracie jiu jitsu'. The Carlson guys I know are very proud of their heritage and rightfully so.
    Last edited by sapateiro; 9/12/2009 2:36pm at .

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 4:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not mocking jujitsu just mocking some claims they made on their web site of all non accredited schools being ****, and I saw that same sort of claim echo through in your post

the video grading is aimed at people who can't get to an affiliated academy. But as a learning tool I'd highly recommend the series.
    thats ridiculous why do they have to get a belt under the Gracie Academy crew, damn it you win... :happy: I just don't have much valuable to say... except that one should not learn BJJ off of videos, particularly to blue belt, BJJ has kept a rather high quality of their belts compared with other arts and it would be nice if it stayed that way, also the blue belt or beginning stage of BJJ is important, (as you know) its the basis of your game it is where you learn how to BJJ or somthing if you never learn how to apply a triangle how useful is it? What point is their to preforming BJJ kata's?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2009 2:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not mocking jujitsu just mocking some claims they made on their web site of all non accredited schools being ****, and I saw that same sort of claim echo through in your post
    You seemed to edit out a chunk of my post while quoting - "a belt grading would be better done face-to-face. Rener & Ryron agree with that philosophy, and the video grading..."

I just don't have much valuable to say... except that one should not learn BJJ off of videos, particularly to blue belt, BJJ has kept a rather high quality of their belts compared with other arts and it would be nice if it stayed that way, also the blue belt or beginning stage of BJJ is important, (as you know) its the basis of your game it is where you learn how to BJJ or somthing if you never learn how to apply a triangle how useful is it?
    I'm guessing you've never seen the series or trained with Ryron or Rener so I'll break it down for you.

1. In most clubs the techniques are taught on a random basis. You may do an omoplata for example in a class, then not do it again for 3 months. What they've down is broken it down into the core of jiu jitsu, the most commonly used techniques and ensured the beginner know how to do these properly, and technically before moving on. They do each core technique a number of times and drill them with related techniques to ensure you have perspective. So in terms of it being the 'basis of your game' as you put it, would you rather do this, or work on a random basis never knowing what you'll be doing in class, when you'll be doing it again, or whether it's aimed at beginner/advanced or street/sportive?

2. What makes you think the triangle isn't in the series? It's core jiu jitsu, and is covered in a number of variations.

3. There's nothing wrong with the quality of the Gracie Academy's belts.I've been training with them since 2001, and do or teach jiu jitsu about 6 hours a day... And don't expect to get my black belt for another 3 or 4 years. Just look at their current black belts and you'll see they've been training for many years. On the other hand, I was offered a blue belt in a Royce seminar many years ago & didn't wear until I was given one by my actual instructor. There are a few guys close to me that got their blue belts at a Gracie Barra seminar from Roger, and don't train under that club. I agree with you that a blue belt should be earnt.

What point is their to preforming BJJ kata's?
    Kata's are when someone moves around against a pretend opponent. AFAIK there are no BJJ clubs in the world that perform kata.

If you're talking about drills - which are combinations of moves done against a semi-compliant opponent - then they are one of the best ways to become subconsciously competant at techniques and the transitions between them. World class guys like Andre Galvao, Jacare, Xande Ribiero dedicated many hours to drills. One of my blue belts was attacked outside a club recently and finished the fight in 10 seconds using a (gracie combatives) drill that had become instinctive.

There are a number of good video series out there to supplement BJJ training in a club (or that can be used if you can't get to a club). Apart from Gracie academy's, Roy Deans or Saulo Ribiero's spring to mind. There's even one from Carlson Gracie jr which I haven't seen - http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...at=291&page=22

I hope this helps.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    9/13/2009 2:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sapateiro View Post
    You seemed to edit out a chunk of my post while quoting - "a belt grading would be better done face-to-face. Rener & Ryron agree with that philosophy, and the video grading..."

I'm guessing you've never seen the series or trained with Ryron or Rener so I'll break it down for you.

1. In most clubs the techniques are taught on a random basis. You may do an omoplata for example in a class, then not do it again for 3 months. What they've down is broken it down into the core of jiu jitsu, the most commonly used techniques and ensured the beginner know how to do these properly, and technically before moving on. They do each core technique a number of times and drill them with related techniques to ensure you have perspective. So in terms of it being the 'basis of your game' as you put it, would you rather do this, or work on a random basis never knowing what you'll be doing in class, when you'll be doing it again, or whether it's aimed at beginner/advanced or street/sportive?

2. What makes you think the triangle isn't in the series? It's core jiu jitsu, and is covered in a number of variations.

3. There's nothing wrong with the quality of the Gracie Academy's belts.I've been training with them since 2001, and do or teach jiu jitsu about 6 hours a day... And don't expect to get my black belt for another 3 or 4 years. Just look at their current black belts and you'll see they've been training for many years. On the other hand, I was offered a blue belt in a Royce seminar many years ago & didn't wear until I was given one by my actual instructor. There are a few guys close to me that got their blue belts at a Gracie Barra seminar from Roger, and don't train under that club. I agree with you that a blue belt should be earnt.

Kata's are when someone moves around against a pretend opponent. AFAIK there are no BJJ clubs in the world that perform kata.

If you're talking about drills - which are combinations of moves done against a semi-compliant opponent - then they are one of the best ways to become subconsciously competant at techniques and the transitions between them. World class guys like Andre Galvao, Jacare, Xande Ribiero dedicated many hours to drills. One of my blue belts was attacked outside a club recently and finished the fight in 10 seconds using a (gracie combatives) drill that had become instinctive.

There are a number of good video series out there to supplement BJJ training in a club (or that can be used if you can't get to a club). Apart from Gracie academy's, Roy Deans or Saulo Ribiero's spring to mind. There's even one from Carlson Gracie jr which I haven't seen - http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...at=291&page=22

I hope this helps.
    I do not intend to insult Gracie Combatives but instead I want to point out how silly it is to go on t3h Interwebz giving out blue belts, they should stop this completely, but I will say that this would be useful for people that do, do BJJ, I also will admit that the randomness is a key problem in BJJ instruction, I see nothing wrong with the Gracie Academy's belts at the Academy itself but I see a problem with them Spreading their belts around, particularly in one place where they approve people with blue belts to teach other people Gracie comparatives, thats ridiculous, next thing you know white belts with one stripe will be able to teach BJJ and It spirals down into **** creek form their, its a slippery slope, a very slippery slope

I will admit to haveing some interest in Gracie Comparatives, they seem like they would be effective, I would consider them a good idea for all BJJ instructors to teach, but not these blue belts teaching crappling or we get the majestic skillz of Hapkido all over again...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 2:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point. I share your concern about giving out blue belts via the web. I understand though that the guys fail over 50% of videos submitted and hope that the standard of the belts doesn't drop as a result of this programme.

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 9:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Commando Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say that anyone who is interested in GJJ or BJJ and earned the belt ONLINE will NEVER boast about the belt and be arrogant about it. Why do i say that?

A person who is interested in martial arts and self defence WILL go and try his techniques against opponents who are "real", either in a Mcdojo or an "accepted" dojo. He "won't dare" to flaunt his belt because he won't be confident enough.

How many of you THINK that just because you are a blue belt you CAN beat a white belt in BJJ, much less another blue belt earned from a "real" dojo? I think no one would think that, because in jiujitsu you have to prove to YOURSELF that your techniques that you've learnt works.

The gracie university website does link people up and also recognises some places where you can spar with REAL people learning GJJ. Everyone would know that it is only good that they try it out physically.

I always wonder why people get so hot and bothered about belt ranks etc. It means nothing to me. If my instructor is a black belter and constantly gets tap out by a purple or blue belt, what's good in that? BJJ/GJJ is an art where no bull **** is involved, you cannot bullshit your techniques. Form does not take you anywhere, it is application that is important.

Anyway, you CANNOT get a black belt till you roll with the gracies personally. So, that should be a comfort.

I would like to comment on belts because I think a lot of martial artists put too much emphasis on the belt and NOT the application of their art. I scoff at paper light women who have black belts but would easily be taken down/beaten even though they have 10 years of martial arts experience. Oh yah, they have beautiful techniques but what about during the "rush' of a sparring full contact session?

I have yet to meet a BJJ practitioner who dares to "state" his belt to intimidate you. Everyone i met would rather let his "roll" do the talking.

One thing is guaranteed, anyone with any interest in pursuing GJJ/BJJ WILL enroll in a physical dojo. So you guys have nothing to worry about.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 9:40am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vchooz View Post
    I would say that anyone who is interested in GJJ or BJJ and earned the belt ONLINE will NEVER boast about the belt and be arrogant about it.
    I think they would.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 5:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vchooz View Post
    I would say that anyone who is interested in GJJ or BJJ and earned the belt ONLINE will NEVER boast about the belt and be arrogant about it. Why do i say that?

I have yet to meet a BJJ practitioner who dares to "state" his belt to intimidate you. Everyone i met would rather let his "roll" do the talking.

One thing is guaranteed, anyone with any interest in pursuing GJJ/BJJ WILL enroll in a physical dojo. So you guys have nothing to worry about.
    1. Yes, they will, internet people are retarted that way
    2. I agree, the black belt I train under looks like a member of Hells Angles I don't think he has to say any thing, just frown and look angry
    3. no, they wouldn't their internet people they know no logic

Posted On:
    9/16/2009 12:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I teach one of the beginner classes at my school and the problem with jits is that ther is really no structure. A lot of times instructors have no idea of what is gonna be taught that day until they are on the way to the mat. It would be nice to actually have a path of what techniques are needed for promotion. BJJ is really subjective to the qualifications of each instructor.