See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 7:20pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the FAQ on the site:

Q: Is there any set time limits between ranking ? I ask this for those us who have been training a long time in jiujitsu and have already achived a high ranking, but would like to go through the curriculum as addtional training and would naturally move through it faster then a beginner who has no training at all. Thanks
    A: No, even though we recomend 6 months of dedicated practice prior to each stripe test, after blue belt, you are allowed to skip to the test if you already train jiu-jitsu. Please note, however, that although you can go straight to the tests, due to the linear nature of the curriculum, you must complete them in order. For example, if you are a BJJ purple belt from another source and would like to be recognized through the Gracie Academy, you must pass the blue belt qualification test, and all four stripe tests, before taking the purple belt test.
    Gracie Academy
    They recommend 6 months of practice, but there is no time reinforcement. If you are already a purple belt, you still have to pass each test up to and including purple belt online (6 total) to have your rank recognized on GracieUniversity.com.

Testing process and fees are as follows:

Testing Fees

Video Evaluation Fee: $85

* Official Belt: Upon passing the test you will be awarded an official Gracie Jiu-Jitsu blue belt. These belts cannot be purchased; they can only be earned by Gracie Academy students.
    * Personalized Certificate: Along with the belt, you will receive a Certificate of Authenticity bearing your name and official rank under the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy. Your name will also be added to the list of Certified Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Belt Holders.
    * Detailed Report: Regardless of whether you pass or fail the test, you will receive a detailed report via email outlining your test score, general strengths, general weaknesses, and the specific techniques on which point-deductions were made.

Live Evaluation Fee: $135

* Evaluation Assistance: The primary benefit of using the live evaluation format is that a certified instructor will guide you through the entire process. The instructor will provide you with an evaluation partner (if necessary), guide you through each of the five Blue Belt Qualification Drills, digitally record your performance, and upload the videos to GRACIEUNIVERSITY.com for you.
    * Official Belt: Upon passing the test you will be awarded an official Gracie Jiu-Jitsu blue belt. These belts cannot be purchased, they can only be earned.
    * Personalized Certificate: Along with the belt, you will receive a Certificate of Authenticity bearing your name and rank under the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy, and your name will be added to the list of Certified Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Belt Holders.
    * Detailed Report: Regardless of whether you pass or fail the test, you will receive a detailed report via email outlining your test score, general strengths, general weaknesses, and the specific techniques on which point-deductions were made.

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 7:24pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie U
    * Official Belt: Upon passing the test you will be awarded an official Gracie Jiu-Jitsu blue belt. These belts cannot be purchased, they can only be earned.
    Oh now THAT is funny.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So now there will be no way to distinguish an online blue belt from one that trained online?

This is pretty crazy. Honestly, I am shocked. So much for all the GJJ blackbelts that have fought to hard to keep the lineage pure.

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 8:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I found an online no-gi purple-belt test video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obje...mbed></object>

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 8:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who controls the Gracie name in terms of Gracie Jiu Jitsu? I can't imagine that all of Helio's sons agree with this.

Edited to add: I would rather stay a white belt forever than get rank this way. I can see the value of the videos as a training aid for those of us in the hinterlands, but us country bumpkins should not be able to get rank via video.
    Last edited by TEA; 3/11/2009 8:14pm at .
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 8:21pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what happens if you get a belt ranking from someone who got their ranking online? How do they control the quality now?

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 8:51pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    So what happens if you get a belt ranking from someone who got their ranking online? How do they control the quality now?
    I believe it is all in the way that the student presents themselves and states their claims and lineage. They should say they hold rank in "Gracie Combatives" or "Grace Jiu-Jitsu," although I can't find an example certificate which shows the exact wording. If they claim a black belt in "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu," that would be different although the average person wouldn't know the difference off the top of their head.

I haven't done any GJJ or GC training to know what goes into it, but I'm sure it is hard work. I just know that if I was training in GJJ or GC myself at a local school, I'd be pissed because now all of the sudden I'd feel my hard work can be equated to someone working with a grappling dummy or another untrained person at home. We'd both have blue belts and the same standing within the organization.
    Last edited by Uncle Skippy; 3/11/2009 8:55pm at .

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 10:05pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post

I haven't done any GJJ or GC training to know what goes into it, but I'm sure it is hard work. I just know that if I was training in GJJ or GC myself at a local school, I'd be pissed because now all of the sudden I'd feel my hard work can be equated to someone working with a grappling dummy or another untrained person at home. We'd both have blue belts and the same standing within the organization.
    Actually in GJJ, at the blue belt level, the difference in skill probably wouldn't be that different.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 10:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    Quality control is me kickin their ass.

Hole in one.

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 12:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    Yeah, but just think how much this is going to help Rudy. :seppuku:
    I predicted this years ago. And this probably isn't the first mcdojoism of GJJ.

"It could never happen because X etc" , they said.

......told you so........

:karated:

How this helps me; I haven't the foggiest. I was just right, it was inevitable. It happens to EVERY MA. It actually helps you more that its been reported here and you have to deal with it. I'm surprised it hasn't been buried by troll spam, like some embarrassing uncle at a party, and swept under the rug. Nice going bullshido, there is hope for some of you yet.
Page 5 of 105 FirstFirst 12345 67891555 ... LastLast