Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 12:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    I wounder why all of these people have fast internet but do not have access to a better BJJ school, come on, since when do poor and illiterate country folk get the inter-webs and try and Edge-ga-ma-cate themselves on it?
    Makes me wanna play the banjo... YouTube - Deliverance - Banjo Duel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 3:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the internets are everywhere. haven't you seen the bill kurtis "i have room for the internet" commercials?

'sides, it's very possible. try to find a bjj club near merced, ca, and you'll come up wanting, and merced has a UC.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 11:26pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    the internets are everywhere. haven't you seen the bill kurtis "i have room for the internet" commercials?

'sides, it's very possible. try to find a bjj club near merced, ca, and you'll come up wanting, and merced has a UC.
    How far are you from San Fran? their is BJJ their, fact, I've never even seen it and I can promise you that (BJJ their I went their once for a day ten years ago...)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 2:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    How far are you from San Fran? their is BJJ their, fact, I've never even seen it and I can promise you that (BJJ their I went their once for a day ten years ago...)
    my home is about 30 miles from SF, 30 miles from San Jose, both places have world class bjj instruction... problem is, no parking in either place, my schedule is weird, traffic (the bane of my soul), and i usually can't afford the fees.
    i mention merced because that's where i'm going to go for college. opposite problem: no bjj except for a small mma gym, and a charles gracie affiliate 40 odd miles away.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 4:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Curious, as I have seen their adds and Lesson 1 (free version) about the techniques taught. In terms of technique, from those of you who are serious practitioners, and have viewed the material, are they good and solid techniques, or commercialized crap? Are they the problem, or is the marketing scheme it? No sarcasm, just an honest question from a newbie.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
    Curious, as I have seen their adds and Lesson 1 (free version) about the techniques taught. In terms of technique, from those of you who are serious practitioners, and have viewed the material, are they good and solid techniques, or commercialized crap? Are they the problem, or is the marketing scheme it? No sarcasm, just an honest question from a newbie.
    As a low level judo player looking to improve my ground game, I found the tutorials I saw to be very good. They're well shot, well explained, and they give enough detail without being overwhelming. Thing is - I have a base in Judo, I have a class where I can go work on this stuff with people who know know what they're doing, and I occasionally go to a BJJ class where I can work on this even further. If you're a complete noob, rolling against other noobs, I'm not sure how well that would work out. Also, I'm not looking to get a belt from the course, and I don't like the idea of video gradings.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 12:28pm

Style: BJJ/GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

IMO they're good techniques, well explained. The only issue most people have with this is that a belt grading would be better done face-to-face. Rener & Ryron agree with that philosophy, and the video grading is aimed at people who can't get to an affiliated academy. But as a learning tool I'd highly recommend the series.

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 12:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your answer is answered in both short and long form by the serious blue belt practitioner Slideyfoot here: No BS MMA and Martial Arts - View Single Post - It's a Sad Day - Gracie University

I believe his post/review is pure gold, as you can see from my post on that page (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=82251&page=44).
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 4:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks all! I guess I was wondering about the courses techniques and their effectiveness. I always here the bashing going on over grappling systems lately and how there are better techniques etc... I do agree with the idea that a live instructor is better. I feel video should supplement instruction. It would be kind of tough for 2 newbies watching the videos and "rolling" without a live eye.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 4:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sapateiro View Post
    IMO they're good techniques, well explained. The only issue most people have with this is that a belt grading would be better done face-to-face. Rener & Ryron agree with that philosophy, and the video grading is aimed at people who can't get to an affiliated academy. But as a learning tool I'd highly recommend the series.
    So you are saying that I should Quit training under my Carlson Gracie BJJ black belt, and instead train online because he is not affiliated with Garice Barra? Classic, just classic GJJ...