Page 48 of 105 FirstFirst ... 384445464748 495051525898 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 1:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sbergloff View Post
    Granted, I've only watched the first video; however, I really liked the way they did it. I'm not sure somebody with 0 martial arts training could excel with this program, but I believe I can get a lot of benefit from this.

What do you guys think? There is a Japanese jiu-jutsu class at the dojo I attend, but I can't make it on the times they have it do to schedule conflicts. So, I will be able to test out what I'm learning against experienced people and discover what I'm doing right or wrong. Given that I'm actively training in other disciplines, shouldn't I be able to use these (what I consider nicely done) videos to add the GJJ techniques to my practice? And if I can effectively learn these techniques, does it really matter that I used the videos as opposed to the crappy GJJ instructor down the street who's only a blue belt himself?
    the rest of the videos are as good as the first one, so if you liked it, and learned from it, i think it would be worth the investment, either for private or supplemental study.

now, what set off alarms for me is the mentioning of Japanese Jiu Jitsu. i've always thought that JJJ involves kata and de-emphasised applications against fully resisting opponents (see slideyfoot's wonderful FAQ on that, and BJJ in general). Brazilian Jiu Jitsu involves zero kata, and rolling is emphasised. like Sley said, if the BJJer down the street is a legit blue belt in BJJ (check from who and when he got his belt), he or she will be a bigger help than a black belt in JJJ.

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 9:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Iaido/Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    the rest of the videos are as good as the first one, so if you liked it, and learned from it, i think it would be worth the investment, either for private or supplemental study.

now, what set off alarms for me is the mentioning of Japanese Jiu Jitsu. i've always thought that JJJ involves kata and de-emphasised applications against fully resisting opponents (see slideyfoot's wonderful FAQ on that, and BJJ in general). Brazilian Jiu Jitsu involves zero kata, and rolling is emphasised. like Sley said, if the BJJer down the street is a legit blue belt in BJJ (check from who and when he got his belt), he or she will be a bigger help than a black belt in JJJ.
    Thanks for the encouragement gonzomalan!

There are different forms of JJJ and different schools do things very differently. There is some formal kata where I go (mostly for preserving tradition), but they are rolling and sparring all the time emphasizing realism. Then again, I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing looking up from the bottom. It doesn't really matter because I would rather learn gracie anyway, but I think they would be a good resource for trying out my new stuff. :)

I've got a friend who has some BJJ experience from an mma training center, and wants to be my regular partner while I learn these GJJ techniques.

While I may not end up as good as I if I had an ideal studio to go train in, I feel like I can learn enough to save a life one day. As I said, I don't plan on ever entering a competition. I just want to be sure that I would be able to defend myself and others if I'm ever put in a dangerous situation. I also really enjoy the physical activity, and it helps me stay in shape.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 4:34pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

There are different forms of JJJ and different schools do things very differently. There is some formal kata where I go (mostly for preserving tradition), but they are rolling and sparring all the time emphasizing realism. Then again, I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing looking up from the bottom. It doesn't really matter because I would rather learn gracie anyway, but I think they would be a good resource for trying out my new stuff. :)

I've got a friend who has some BJJ experience from an mma training center, and wants to be my regular partner while I learn these GJJ techniques.

While I may not end up as good as I if I had an ideal studio to go train in, I feel like I can learn enough to save a life one day. As I said, I don't plan on ever entering a competition. I just want to be sure that I would be able to defend myself and others if I'm ever put in a dangerous situation. I also really enjoy the physical activity, and it helps me stay in shape.
    You seem to lack the understanding that competitions are the ****

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 7:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

you're welcome.
    and an mma-based bjj practitioner would actually be a great partner because the techniques in the series are no-gi, so you don't have to worry about things like collar chokes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 11:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, jiujitsu, MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First and foremost, I am no one. I do not plan to ever fight in competition. I train because I enjoy training, and I hope to be able to successfully defend myself and others if it's ever needed.

First a little back story:
    Years ago, I bought the Bujinkan home dvd set (my first mistake). That was my first attempt to learn martial arts, and I didn't know any better. The problem I had with those discs was that I had no idea from the video exactly what I was expected to do, and it was more of a demonstration than an instruction.

So, thank God I decided to join a local dojo instead of watching those dvd's. I was very fortunate to get in with an excellent Japanese instructor who taught me a lot about his culture along with the disciplines he taught. Through this dojo, I've been training in Karate, Aikijiujutsu, Iaido, Kendo and the practical self-defense class. I've been training hard, and currently on the mats 6 days/week. I feel like the instruction I'm getting is really really good, but I want to add GJJ to my skill set.

Now on to the topic at hand:
    I came across the Gracie University yesterday, and at first was very excited that I could finally get some instruction in GJJ. Then it hit me that this is just like my first mistake with Bujinkan, and was getting really turned off! Anyway, I noticed that I could watch the first lesson free, so I did.

Granted, I've only watched the first video; however, I really liked the way they did it. I'm not sure somebody with 0 martial arts training could excel with this program, but I believe I can get a lot of benefit from this.

What do you guys think? There is a Japanese jiu-jutsu class at the dojo I attend, but I can't make it on the times they have it do to schedule conflicts. So, I will be able to test out what I'm learning against experienced people and discover what I'm doing right or wrong. Given that I'm actively training in other disciplines, shouldn't I be able to use these (what I consider nicely done) videos to add the GJJ techniques to my practice? And if I can effectively learn these techniques, does it really matter that I used the videos as opposed to the crappy GJJ instructor down the street who's only a blue belt himself?

It doesn't seem like they're only in it for the money, because the video's aren't that expensive imo. I feel like I can learn it this way, and I'm going to try it.

To you guys who study JJ, do you think I can really pick up effective skills since I am studying in a dojo, and am using the videos to add techniques to what I know as opposed to only training with videos?
    The videos are cool if you grapple at a school also, but videos alone aren't much good at all. Lots of BJJ and judo guys watch youtube videos on techniques all the time to get additional tutilage on techniques, as well as instructional DVD's. I've seen folks at my club and others that video classes and seminars to review later. But if you only have videos and no atual grappling, the videos are a waste of time and money.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 12:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by deadline0916 View Post
    The videos are cool if you grapple at a school also, but videos alone aren't much good at all. Lots of BJJ and judo guys watch youtube videos on techniques all the time to get additional tutilage on techniques, as well as instructional DVD's. I've seen folks at my club and others that video classes and seminars to review later. But if you only have videos and no atual grappling, the videos are a waste of time and money.
    so you should mail them to me...

The problem is people think hey! I can stand up up so I can also grapple with out proper understanding of it.

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 6:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An interesting point that has been brought up several times is how doing the GU program will omit the necessary feedback from a qualified instructor. In years of training I received next to no feedback except "roll more" or "tap more" or "relax."

From what I can tell the feedback given on one video test may well be more than all the feedback I have ever received in a group class setting.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 9:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rnaviaux View Post
    An interesting point that has been brought up several times is how doing the GU program will omit the necessary feedback from a qualified instructor. In years of training I received next to no feedback except "roll more" or "tap more" or "relax."

From what I can tell the feedback given on one video test may well be more than all the feedback I have ever received in a group class setting.
    Maybe you should find a better school?

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 8:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    Maybe you should find a better school?
    Couldn't have said it any better myself...

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 12:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jon0g View Post
    Couldn't have said it any better myself...
    I wounder why all of these people have fast internet but do not have access to a better BJJ school, come on, since when do poor and illiterate country folk get the inter-webs and try and Edge-ga-ma-cate themselves on it?