Sponsored Links Spacer Image

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/24/2009 8:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muyblue View Post
    Just out of curiosity. Are they actually a university? I mean can you just call yourself a university or are there laws that regulate this? What state are they based out of?
    not really this is legal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Okoboji

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 1:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    I heard something strange at my BJJ Gym today, I had found an ad for the GOBS (Gracie online belt ****) in a copy of black belt magazine, and I brought it up (this was before we were going to practice so we were just talking) and a fellow who had been bothered by it had emailed them, and they RESPONDED! saying that this is more intended as a supplement and that no belts will actually be given out, I also heard that he had told a contact that "it was just for money" and that they wouldn't really be promoting anyone just milking a bunch of lazy morons who try to learn Jitz off the internet already out of more cash

Take this with a grain of salt
    un-editable screencaps of the reply or i don't believe it, and here's why:

https://www.gracieuniversity.com/LC/...&n=28&ca=11#65
    "If you pass the test, you will receive your blue belt, along with a personalized certificate of authenticity, in the mail. Also, once you pass the test, your name will be added to the list of certified belt holders..."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 2:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also, in the last disc of the GC dvds, Rener holds a physical blue belt to give people motivation to take the test.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 10:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    also, in the last disc of the GC dvds, Rener holds a physical blue belt to give people motivation to take the test.
    I never said they didn't say they would give you a blue belt on their tapes, I just said I heard they weren't planning on giving out belts just pretending they were.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 3:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never said they didn't say they would give you a blue belt on their tapes, I just said I heard they weren't planning on giving out belts just pretending they were.
    i meant, the belt he was holding was an example of the belt they'd send out. on the GU site, under Testing Center-> Blue Belt Qualification test, they have this (you might need to set up a free account to see it):

"Video Evaluation Fee: $85

• Official Belt: Upon passing the test you will be awarded an official Gracie Jiu-Jitsu blue belt. These belts cannot be purchased; they can only be earned by Gracie Academy students.
    • Personalized Certificate: Along with the belt, you will receive a Certificate of Authenticity bearing your name and official rank under the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy. Your name will also be added to the list of Certified Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Belt Holders.
    • Detailed Report: ......"

and in the Belt Testing Forum FAQ:
    "Please keep in mind, however, that although you will need to pay the evaluation fee each time you take a test, when you pass a test, you will receive your belt and promotion certificate for free (we'll even pay the shipping)."

i'm not trying to go for overkill here, i just want to point out that they say on their site that they mail out belts (and later, stripes that you can sew onto the belts).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 6:45am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I know for a fact that they ARE giving out belts. I know a guy that teaches about and hour from me that got his through GU.

And let us not forget Coda Scott.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 9:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    i'm not trying to go for overkill here, i just want to point out that they say on their site that they mail out belts (and later, stripes that you can sew onto the belts).
    How come they get sew on stripes all I get is masking tape...

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 10:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Iaido/Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First and foremost, I am no one. I do not plan to ever fight in competition. I train because I enjoy training, and I hope to be able to successfully defend myself and others if it's ever needed.

First a little back story:
    Years ago, I bought the Bujinkan home dvd set (my first mistake). That was my first attempt to learn martial arts, and I didn't know any better. The problem I had with those discs was that I had no idea from the video exactly what I was expected to do, and it was more of a demonstration than an instruction.

So, thank God I decided to join a local dojo instead of watching those dvd's. I was very fortunate to get in with an excellent Japanese instructor who taught me a lot about his culture along with the disciplines he taught. Through this dojo, I've been training in Karate, Aikijiujutsu, Iaido, Kendo and the practical self-defense class. I've been training hard, and currently on the mats 6 days/week. I feel like the instruction I'm getting is really really good, but I want to add GJJ to my skill set.

Now on to the topic at hand:
    I came across the Gracie University yesterday, and at first was very excited that I could finally get some instruction in GJJ. Then it hit me that this is just like my first mistake with Bujinkan, and was getting really turned off! Anyway, I noticed that I could watch the first lesson free, so I did.

Granted, I've only watched the first video; however, I really liked the way they did it. I'm not sure somebody with 0 martial arts training could excel with this program, but I believe I can get a lot of benefit from this.

What do you guys think? There is a Japanese jiu-jutsu class at the dojo I attend, but I can't make it on the times they have it do to schedule conflicts. So, I will be able to test out what I'm learning against experienced people and discover what I'm doing right or wrong. Given that I'm actively training in other disciplines, shouldn't I be able to use these (what I consider nicely done) videos to add the GJJ techniques to my practice? And if I can effectively learn these techniques, does it really matter that I used the videos as opposed to the crappy GJJ instructor down the street who's only a blue belt himself?

It doesn't seem like they're only in it for the money, because the video's aren't that expensive imo. I feel like I can learn it this way, and I'm going to try it.

To you guys who study JJ, do you think I can really pick up effective skills since I am studying in a dojo, and am using the videos to add techniques to what I know as opposed to only training with videos?

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 4:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To you guys who study JJ, do you think I can really pick up effective skills since I am studying in a dojo, and am using the videos to add techniques to what I know as opposed to only training with videos?
    If you want to learn how to grapple, go to a grappling school. It's that simple. BJJ has always emphasized application, in practice rolling and in competition, for both promotion and just general learning.

You cannot learn BJJ from videos, without a proper academy where people are willing to give you adequate instruction and also experienced resistance in free rolling.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 10:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage View Post
    If you want to learn how to grapple, go to a grappling school. It's that simple. BJJ has always emphasized application, in practice rolling and in competition, for both promotion and just general learning.

You cannot learn BJJ from videos, without a proper academy where people are willing to give you adequate instruction and also experienced resistance in free rolling.

to make this simpler
    If you don't roll with BJJ players you do not Pratatcie BJJ and will never have it in your 'skill set' and that "Crappy blue belt" down the street is still a better source of instruction then videos