Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2009 9:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo/Wing Chun/Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    WTF, not on this thread. You are supposed to post in noob town. My god!!

"noob town" ahh the linguistics, too much time on the computer, not enough on the mats. Welcome BJJ and Muay Thai...study at Warrior Way per chance?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2009 9:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo/Wing Chun/Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the GC dvds come with a flow chart of positions... no belt, no certificate. the belt, as it is being come to be known, is a GJJ "street" belt, and the piece of paper that comes along with it after a person earns it (i'll pause for everyone to finish laughing) is a certificate of authenticity of rank in GJJ, which serves quite a different purpose.

You say "i'll pause for everyone to finish laughing" however, in terms of GU, does it really matter if the belt came from them or if the student earned his belt from a "legit" school?

I would posit that it is the practitioner of the style that determines the effectiveness, and not where the style comes from.

Example, a man says "I trained under (let's say) Rickson Gracie himself! (very impressive). Second guy says "I trained through Gracie University" (to some sceptical). Then when rolling the Gracie University guy submits the Rickson Gracie guy say 2 out of 3 times. Does it then matter who they studied under or where they studied? Further, what is a certificate, but a piece of paper. True it could happen in reverse, but it is just an example.

The practitioner determines the effectiveness, not the style or where it is necessarily learned from. We all know there are crappy instructors out there, just look at the history of martial arts instruction.

The visual test the the Rener and Ryron use appears to be a good method, as they have not passed everyone, evidenced by the video they post of someone failing and commenting as to why. Watch it, its free.

We mock what we don't understand or take the time to understand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2009 12:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpo sage View Post
    I would posit that it is the practitioner of the style that determines the effectiveness, and not where the style comes from.
    oh yes, i agree, although i hope someone who spends the time and money to train under Rickson would really dedicate themselves to learn. i just threw that "laughing" part for the people who don't take this method of testing seriously, and therefore don't think people would "earn" a belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 9:51am

Style: IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually saw the videos. They are very well done with good explanations all the way through. Very professional.

However, testing and receiving a belt through the mail is ridiculous and a sham of epic proportions.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 10:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think more likely will be that someone will buy the videos, watch them throug one time. Put them on the shelf, and then start telling people they train in GJJ. Maybe roll in the back yard every couple of month then it turns into about once every 6 months.

In reallity, no it doesn't matter because you can tell what they are capable of on the mat.:beatdead:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 10:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the DVDs and the instruction and details in them is great. It's much better and easier to follow than a lot of the instructional DVDs I have purchased in the past, and I have some good ones including: William Chueng, Dan Inosanto, Erik Paulson and Eddie Bravo.

I think a lot of people are just turned off immediately because of the online testing thing.

But if you just look at the DVDs for what they are (a great instructional resource) than they are worth it.

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 10:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    I think more likely will be that someone will buy the videos, watch them through one time. Put them on the shelf, and then start telling people they train in GJJ.
    There's also the P.T. Barnum step: setting up their own "GJJ Academy".

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2009 9:17am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpo sage View Post
    the GC dvds come with a flow chart of positions... no belt, no certificate. the belt, as it is being come to be known, is a GJJ "street" belt, and the piece of paper that comes along with it after a person earns it (i'll pause for everyone to finish laughing) is a certificate of authenticity of rank in GJJ, which serves quite a different purpose.

You say "i'll pause for everyone to finish laughing" however, in terms of GU, does it really matter if the belt came from them or if the student earned his belt from a "legit" school?

Example, a man says "I trained under (let's say) Rickson Gracie himself! (very impressive). Second guy says "I trained through Gracie University" (to some sceptical). Then when rolling the Gracie University guy submits the Rickson Gracie guy say 2 out of 3 times. Does it then matter who they studied under or where they studied? Further, what is a certificate, but a piece of paper. True it could happen in reverse, but it is just an example.

The practitioner determines the effectiveness, not the style or where it is necessarily learned from. We all know there are crappy instructors out there, just look at the history of martial arts instruction.

The visual test the the Rener and Ryron use appears to be a good method, as they have not passed everyone, evidenced by the video they post of someone failing and commenting as to why. Watch it, its free.

We mock what we don't understand or take the time to understand.
    You bring up some really good points. I have the DVDs and like I said before the detail and the teaching points in the instruction is some of the best I have seen on DVDs. I have definitely learned more from the DVDs than I did at any of the MMA Schools I have trained at in NJ, which says as much about the DVDs as it does the quality of instructors who open schools. If I had the choice, I'd train at a top school like Renzo Gracie in NY or some of the schools out in CA. But since relocating right now isn't an option, I am using these to supplement my training. In other words, this isn't my only method of training, but it is a tool that I use to get better. :)

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/24/2009 7:07pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard something strange at my BJJ Gym today, I had found an ad for the GOBS (Gracie online belt ****) in a copy of black belt magazine, and I brought it up (this was before we were going to practice so we were just talking) and a fellow who had been bothered by it had emailed them, and they RESPONDED! saying that this is more intended as a supplement and that no belts will actually be given out, I also heard that he had told a contact that "it was just for money" and that they wouldn't really be promoting anyone just milking a bunch of lazy morons who try to learn Jitz off the internet already out of more cash

Take this with a grain of salt

Posted On:
    8/24/2009 7:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just out of curiosity. Are they actually a university? I mean can you just call yourself a university or are there laws that regulate this? What state are they based out of?