Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 2:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo/Wing Chun/Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, we try our hardest, constantly looking to improve upon what we have already learned; I think I should further clarify, however that when we do roll, things do not always go as planned, which is great, because then it forces us to think and react with another technique/move, this is what the reflex and fight simulation drills have taught us...so far...

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 9:38am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It has taken a while, but just finished my Gracie Combatives review, here. I would warn warn you that its rather long, even by my standards. So, this is the tl;dr version:

If you're looking for a basic self defence course and don't care about belts, then Gracie Combatives would be an excellent choice. The instruction is superb, with an unprecedented level of detail, sometimes taking over thirty minutes exploring a single technique. This is an impressive production, right down to the smooth camera transitions from overhead shots into zooms and multiple angles. Even for those who are already training at a BJJ school and aren't interested in self-defence, several of the lessons are so good you'll still find them beneficial.

However, the online blue belt test detailed on the last DVD remains controversial, as does some of the philosophy put forward in the course. For example, Rener Gracie states that there is no need to cross-train striking, a highly debateable question when it comes to self-defence. Geoff Thompson, a very respected self defence instructor, would almost certainly disagree. So, take the theory and marketing with a pinch of salt, but if you want self defence with top notch instruction, you won't be disappointed.

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 10:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    It has taken a while, but just finished my Gracie Combatives review, here. I would warn warn you that its rather long, even by my standards. So, this is the tl;dr version:

If you're looking for a basic self defence course and don't care about belts, then Gracie Combatives would be an excellent choice. The instruction is superb, with an unprecedented level of detail, sometimes taking over thirty minutes exploring a single technique. This is an impressive production, right down to the smooth camera transitions from overhead shots into zooms and multiple angles. Even for those who are already training at a BJJ school and aren't interested in self-defence, several of the lessons are so good you'll still find them beneficial.

However, the online blue belt test detailed on the last DVD remains controversial, as does some of the philosophy put forward in the course. For example, Rener Gracie states that there is no need to cross-train striking, a highly debateable question when it comes to self-defence. Geoff Thompson, a very respected self defence instructor, would almost certainly disagree. So, take the theory and marketing with a pinch of salt, but if you want self defence with top notch instruction, you won't be disappointed.
    Everyone needs to heed this, and read the full post on Slidey's blog. It's the most even-handed, intelligent, well-spoken examination of the Gracie Combatives course that exists, or that will ever exist. It is exquisite. It has original thought and excellent overview of existing philosophies.

It is master-level writing and evidence. I believe that I can say, without sarcasm, that this thread is irrelevant. Those who are literate should read Slidey's blog post, and do nothing else.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    brilliant, slidyfoot. that is exactly the kind of review i was looking for to clarify the pros and cons of this in my mind.
    i would like to see a bully take the blue belt test though. i think that would be benificial on many levels, lulz included.

but yeah, i agree with the point that, if it weren't for the belt testing, nobody would be bickering about this, and everybody would love the high quality production and instruction.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 3:45pm

Style: BJJ/GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great job on the review, slidey.

I'm obviously a little biased, being one of Ryron & Reners instructors, but that was a comprehensive & fair review. We mix tournament BJJ in with the combatives stuff from 4-stripe white onwards to try & get a good mix. The 'best of both worlds' is difficult to achieve, but not impossible IMHO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 4:12pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got mine today, but it may be used more as a supplement to honda on training for me from here on. I am checking into a school that has classes on Saturdays, which would work for me. So, at the very least, I have some extra material to go over while at home. Like I don't have enough stuff to do during the week.

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 4:24pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    I got mine today, but it may be used more as a supplement to honda on training for me from here on. I am checking into a school that has classes on Saturdays, which would work for me. So, at the very least, I have some extra material to go over while at home. Like I don't have enough stuff to do during the week.
    Thank you for direct anecdotal evidence of exactly the kind of slippery slope that we all foresaw this leading to.

"Well, there's a school nearby...I'll just order the tapes and do them as a supplement."

"Weeeelllll, it's hard to make class, so I'll train at home a while."

"Wwwwweeeeeeeeellllllllll, I guess I do BJJ!"
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 5:41pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Thank you for direct anecdotal evidence of exactly the kind of slippery slope that we all foresaw this leading to.

"Well, there's a school nearby...I'll just order the tapes and do them as a supplement."

"Weeeelllll, it's hard to make class, so I'll train at home a while."

"Wwwwweeeeeeeeellllllllll, I guess I do BJJ!"

Local school is not BJJ, but does have jujitsu. I was fortunate enough to have some help in finding one that has Saturday classes, that is not a very long drive for me <1 hour. I have been searching for one that would work into my schedule for quite some time.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post

Holy **** that was a long ass article. Very good though. It answered a lot of questions that I had on the videos. Thanks for doing it!

Let us know how your wife does!!

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 6:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't watch the final pair of videos because I was at work.

It was worse than I imagined. Did that Gracie Academy student actually get a blue belt? Because I could've beaten him before I did judo or BJJ.

I could've beaten him with fucking karate krappling.