Sponsored Links Spacer Image

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 8:26am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    searcher66071, do you know what would be neat: if we could arrange for you to go to a legit instructor who could asses your natural grappling ability, then once you've done the video course, you could go back and see how much you've improved.

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 8:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    ...I am a striker...
    *looks up at searcher66071's listed styles*

Um...no not neither.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 9:12am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    OMFG

--GU, history section forum

Rorion Gracie = +50 respect points. it would have been easier and more convenient not to answer the question. i think it didn't show publicly at first b/c the question hadn't been answered yet.
    The hilarity of "the gift of Gracie" being mentioned in his response has not been lost. (Yes, I realize it's out of context.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 9:49am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    searcher66071, do you know what would be neat: if we could arrange for you to go to a legit instructor who could asses your natural grappling ability, then once you've done the video course, you could go back and see how much you've improved.
    Sounds like a great idea, but if I had the time to do that, I would just train in a grappling style.

Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    *looks up at searcher66071's listed styles*

Um...no not neither.

Bingo.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 9:51am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    Sounds like a great idea, but if I had the time to do that, I would just train in a grappling style.
    You'd only need about 20 minutes each time.

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 1:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello everyone:

Let me give all of you my thoughts on Gracie University as I am in the process of completing the combatives program myself, but first let me back up about ten years to when I was first exposed to BJJ.

Back in 1998 I was driving past a gym near my house and I saw a sign for BJJ being taught there and I then remembered as everyone else does the first UFC with Royce and right then I new I wanted exposure to this. Also, I have been exposed to other styles of martial arts over the years, so this is not my first experience with a martial art. I pulled over and talked to the instuctor who was a blue belt at the time (from a legit Brazilian black belt) and he gave me a class and I was excited to sign up. For six months I spent the entire time getting my ass kicked at class. Several things I recall from this experiennce was one, no set curriclum. GU has a set curriculum and a path to follow which alows one to set goals and achieve them. Second detailed instruction; althought the instructor back then was a good guy and explained the technicues well, there is no comparison to seeing and learning from fourth and fifth degree black belts like Rener and Ryron (take a look and you will see); plus they also provide direct feedback from the forums for each technique if you have a question and the response time is less than a day and is usually very detailed if you ask a technical question. Third there was no feedback from anyone back then, you just got submitted and hopefully you will learn. So needless to say I was tired of spending $60 a month which at that time was a lot of money for me to just get my ass handed to me at every class.

Now lets speed up to the present. I recently set a new goal of wanting to get back into martial arts and wanted to learn BJJ as their are now several reputable schools in my area with "Legit black belts" as some of you call them, but the cost is well over $140 a month, which to me is crazy! So I stumbled across Gracie University on the web and thought the price was reasonable and the concept was very unique. Within a month I met my training partner through GU and we now train 2-3 times a week. We both review a technique before we meet and then go through the the technique and then the reflex developement drill and then the fight simulation drill. Hardest cardio I've ever done. This trainig is 10 time better than what I received in person 10 years ago. Now what is interesting is that my training partner at one time was attending a "legit" school that I checked out and what he did not care for was pretty much the same stuff that had discouraged me. No set curriculum and the endless ass beating from the higher belts with no feedback. He feels that he has learned more in one month from us training together then 8 months at the academy.

One thing I want to point out with the GJJ blu belt is, yes GU does state a GJJ blue will not fare well in a sport event, but GU states on their forums that the currruculum after combatives (Masters) will prepare students for sportive competition as well. The real test will be when GJJ blues start entering sport competiotion which will happen eventually to show their game and win. This will be the only way some people will respect this type of training.

Just a few last thoughts, the guy who was knocking John Nuygen test vids, you need to view these vids for what they are which is a demonstration of learned techniques. If you think its so funny or easy, then why dont you upload a test vid its free and we can all have a laugh as well, show us how better you are. you will soon find out its not as easy as every one thinks.

Also some have knocked that the site is boasting that you can get your blue belt in several months, which is not the case. You can review the entire course and go through the techniques in several months, but realistically my partner and I will not be ready to test for about 8 months with 2-3 times a week for training.

Yes we roll together.

For me the only draw back is rolling with a higher rank to test your skills. My training partner and I have decided to attend seminars at local schools throught the year to get that element of training in.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 2:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonybham View Post
    Hello everyone:

Let me give all of you my thoughts on Gracie University as I am in the process of completing the combatives program myself, but first let me back up about ten years to when I was first exposed to BJJ.

Back in 1998 I was driving past a gym near my house and I saw a sign for BJJ being taught there and I then remembered as everyone else does the first UFC with Royce and right then I new I wanted exposure to this. Also, I have been exposed to other styles of martial arts over the years, so this is not my first experience with a martial art. I pulled over and talked to the instuctor who was a blue belt at the time (from a legit Brazilian black belt) and he gave me a class and I was excited to sign up. For six months I spent the entire time getting my ass kicked at class. Several things I recall from this experiennce was one, no set curriclum. GU has a set curriculum and a path to follow which alows one to set goals and achieve them. Second detailed instruction; althought the instructor back then was a good guy and explained the technicues well, there is no comparison to seeing and learning from fourth and fifth degree black belts like Rener and Ryron (take a look and you will see); plus they also provide direct feedback from the forums for each technique if you have a question and the response time is less than a day and is usually very detailed if you ask a technical question. Third there was no feedback from anyone back then, you just got submitted and hopefully you will learn. So needless to say I was tired of spending $60 a month which at that time was a lot of money for me to just get my ass handed to me at every class.

Now lets speed up to the present. I recently set a new goal of wanting to get back into martial arts and wanted to learn BJJ as their are now several reputable schools in my area with "Legit black belts" as some of you call them, but the cost is well over $140 a month, which to me is crazy! So I stumbled across Gracie University on the web and thought the price was reasonable and the concept was very unique. Within a month I met my training partner through GU and we now train 2-3 times a week. We both review a technique before we meet and then go through the the technique and then the reflex developement drill and then the fight simulation drill. Hardest cardio I've ever done. This trainig is 10 time better than what I received in person 10 years ago. Now what is interesting is that my training partner at one time was attending a "legit" school that I checked out and what he did not care for was pretty much the same stuff that had discouraged me. No set curriculum and the endless ass beating from the higher belts with no feedback. He feels that he has learned more in one month from us training together then 8 months at the academy.

One thing I want to point out with the GJJ blu belt is, yes GU does state a GJJ blue will not fare well in a sport event, but GU states on their forums that the currruculum after combatives (Masters) will prepare students for sportive competition as well. The real test will be when GJJ blues start entering sport competiotion which will happen eventually to show their game and win. This will be the only way some people will respect this type of training.

Just a few last thoughts, the guy who was knocking John Nuygen test vids, you need to view these vids for what they are which is a demonstration of learned techniques. If you think its so funny or easy, then why dont you upload a test vid its free and we can all have a laugh as well, show us how better you are. you will soon find out its not as easy as every one thinks.

Also some have knocked that the site is boasting that you can get your blue belt in several months, which is not the case. You can review the entire course and go through the techniques in several months, but realistically my partner and I will not be ready to test for about 8 months with 2-3 times a week for training.

Yes we roll together.

For me the only draw back is rolling with a higher rank to test your skills. My training partner and I have decided to attend seminars at local schools throught the year to get that element of training in.

BJJ kinda has a set way of promotion at my school, if you win a terniment you get 3 white belt stripes 2 and 3

2 stripes

you get your blue belt when your acceptable, your purple belt when your ok... is a system

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 2:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello everyone:

Yes we roll together.

thanks for posting a review. the idea of going to seminars is really good. i can't say welcome to bullshido, because it says you joined about 4 months ago, so... welcome to posting?

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 2:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One serious issue with this is the idea that complaint drills can replace sparring, hell, I could teach a random guy to gogoplata in a complaint drill in five minutes but I doubt he could do it in sparring, hell its hard to teach a random guy to arm bar in five minutes of complaint drill.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 3:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello everyone:

Let me give all of you my thoughts on Gracie University as I am in the process of completing the combatives program myself...
    hey tony

thanks for the review. it all sounds pretty much like what i expected. meat and potatos GJJ with the same advantages/disadvantages of any distance learning program.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.