Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst 1234 56781454104 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 5:40pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read about this on the UG and came here to see what was being discussed. I'm surprised it's only 3 pages. This is looking exactly like the Bujinkan program, where you can test up to black belt through video, but Black Belt has to be done in person.

I'm also not so sure that Helio would have actually been against this. I remember reading a couple interviews with/about him that contradicted themselves. In the early days of the UFC, Rickson refused to fight unless he gets paid $1million. Helio apparently bitched him out for that, saying it wasn't about money, yadda, yadda, yadda. Then in an interview 2003 or something around there, Helio said that he tells his sons only to fight if it's for a lot of money, because they've already proven Gracie Jiu Jitsu. He's changed his tune once, he might have changed it again. Perhaps he thought that BJJ was getting too sport oriented and he wanted to bring the self defense aspect back in, and figured that an online instructional program would be a valuable way of doing this. (Or Rorion convinced him in this fashion).

Doesn't matter much either way though, and it is suspicious that this happened only after he died. I'm also wondering how quick did Rener and Ryron and Ralek advance in rank? I thought you had to be a Black Belt for something like 6 years before you could get your 2nd stripe. That would be 3 years/stripe, putting them at black belt for 9-15 years. I'm sure they were all brown belts less than 9 years ago, so it would seem Rorion's getting into some nepotism and/or thinks that he can easily promote people now that self defense is being promoted rather than winning in competition.

I don't see a big problem with video instructionals, plenty of fighters have used them and gotten use out of them, but I think most of them just went into MMA and didn't claim any sort of rank.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 5:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GracieU website
    John, who owns a traditional Karate dojo in Williamsburg, Virginia along with his brother Mike, estimated his total amount of accumulated training time to be just over 220 hours at the time he took the test, not including the time he spent viewing and absorbing the techniques from Gracie University
    I train 3 times a week. 2.5 hours Tuesday/thursday, and 1.5 hours (nogi) on wednesday.

This doesnt count open mat on saturdays.

So I train for 6.5 hours a week

220 hours/6.5 hours a week=33.8 weeks, rounded to 34.

34 weeks/4 weeks in a month = 8.5 months.

8.5 months to get a bluebelt.
    Ill be waiting for him to compete at NAGA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 5:47pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this isnt honoring helios memory this is spitting in his face, the only techniques that should be taught on video are the bare minimum most basic stuff, and even thats risky because often times you,r core baisics are the most important part of how you fight and how you will do If you compete.

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 5:59pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I read about this on the UG and came here to see what was being discussed. I'm surprised it's only 3 pages. This is looking exactly like the Bujinkan program, where you can test up to black belt through video, but Black Belt has to be done in person...
    Thier is another thread going in YMAS:
    BJJ Blackbelts Online! - No BS Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Angrydog View Post
    this isnt honoring helios memory this is spitting in his face, the only techniques that should be taught on video are the bare minimum most basic stuff, and even thats risky because often times you,r core baisics are the most important part of how you fight and how you will do If you compete.

Video is fine, but it should be treated like a notebook. Great for those with proper instruction to review what they already know, but as an actual teaching tool it will always be severely lacking.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 6:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrydog View Post
    No BS Martial Arts - View Single Post - BJJ Blackbelts Online!

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 6:24pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGuido View Post
    Is this a standard held by all Gracie Barra schools?
    Where did this come from? What standard?

Just in case, I'll note that this isn't Gracie Barra. Neither Ryron nor Pedro are Gracie Barra blackbelts. In fact, since Gracie Jiu-jitsu is trademarked by whatever-branch of Helio's family, and the Gracie Barra lineage comes from Carlos Gracie Sr. rather than Helio, it's technically "BJJ" rather than "GJJ".

Right now, that gives me some measure of relief.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 7:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You know there are TMAers laughing their asses off right now.
    As much as I hate to admit it as a freestyle fighter who crosstrains in bjj. As much **** as they've gotten I guess it's only right. I am losing so much respect for the Gracie family(what little I had left anyway).

Dear Gjj practitioners, you are becoming what you always stood against.

This actually saddens me so much. From this point on I will avoid anything with the name Gracie attached to it.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 7:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    Video is fine, but it should be treated like a notebook. Great for those with proper instruction to review what they already know, but as an actual teaching tool it will always be severely lacking.
    Exactly. Video is an instructional aid, not a replacement for face to face instruction. How can you "feel" the difference between doing a technique right and doing it wrong via video?
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 7:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WTF

Is there anyway we could put this under the bullshido section?

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 7:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nogicrappler View Post
    Is there anyway we could put this under the bullshido section?
    (TEA looks at forum to make sure he posted where he thought he did. Shakes his head and wanders off.)
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.