Page 23 of 105 FirstFirst ... 131920212223 242526273373 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 4:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say no. Because people who want to learn self defense without actually doing the techniques don't really want to know self defense. They want cardio kickboxing. If they were serious about learning self defense, they would want to get into the situation to actually learn to do it.

This is a way for people to say, "Yeah, I know jiu-jitsu!" Without really training in it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 7:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also putting the emphasis on self-defense rather than sport, then why the rankings? Do you really need ranks and belts if you are in it solely for training to be "street-ready"? Does it really matter to the guy who is trying to kick your ass if you are a blue belt or a blue ball?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 5:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 265lbsfist View Post
    However, wouldn't it be better that they learn stuff that actually works even if they don't do live sparring instead of Yellow Bamboo Chi Blasts if I may play Devil's Advocate here?
    No, because without sparring it won't be 'stuff that actually works', it will be a bad stage choreography that faintly resembles 'stuff that actually works'.

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 6:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watched part of the first DVD and I have to say that once you get passed the initial "Intro" class where they are plugging their academy website every 5 secs for you to buy stuff and get to the actual teaching, the techniques are broken down very clearly and explained in full detail down to the hand posturing. Many variations are included as well as the proper way of drilling them and suggestions so that both partners can benefit. They encourage the use of partners as they feel its the only way to fully progress.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 8:22pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    No, because without sparring it won't be 'stuff that actually works', it will be a bad stage choreography that faintly resembles 'stuff that actually works'.
    Yeah, but most people don't want to experience the thrill of getting choked out, thrown or stacked etc. :new_astha

Why not at least teach people techniques that actually work instead of trigger point attacks, grabbing punches and applying wristlock throws on the punching arm and other silly stuff?

All the while never giving the people rank for it and explaining to them that in order to get good at this live sparring is essential?

Better to teach real martial arts without sparring than just pure bullshido?

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 6:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I understand what you are saying. It is pretty interesting. I mean we would all like to say that if you don't want to learn the proper way then you clearly don't want to learn. However, the fact is that some people have ailments that prevent them from rolling. Some people don't feel comfortable. So yeah, you could learn a lot from just drilling I think. You would definitely be better than you would without learning anything.

And I think everyone agrees that drilling is an essential part of the learning curve. There is a different thread on here about BJJ belt ranking. Some people brought up that some people learn to compete, some learn for self defense, and some learn for hobie. So they shouldn't all be held to the same standard.

This could possibly be the intro to that. Which many consider to be the beginning of the end. Belts should all go the way of the Sambo.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 10:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, jiujitsu, MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

judo kata or GU simulated combat: What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by grapplingidiot View Post
    "I thought this was interesting. If they were really going for a money grab they'd require people to buy the lessons before going for the tests."

Granted they will lose out some money on this but I think the money to be made is in the testing. Remember you have to test for stripes as well as belts. Plus, if they want to make a claim at legitimacy they won't "auto-pass" every video so you might get some people testing multiple times for the same rank.
    It's both and a great business strategy. But here's my thing: I practice both judo and GJJ.....which in my opinion is a subset of judo.
    Judo kata or GU simulated combat: What's the difference?

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/06/2009 2:24am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by deadline0916 View Post
    Judo kata or GU simulated combat: What's the difference?
    GJJ simulated combat is supposed to teach you to fight, judo kata is supposed to teach you how to do judo kata.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2009 11:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think there are many issues at play here, two of which are knowing the techniques for prmotion and two, being able to apply them to an unwilling person. Up to blue belt I can understand just knowing the techniques, but beyond that in my opinion the point is to be able to apply them to am unwilling opponent.

Another thing is that I don't get the 600 techniques that the Gracie Academy is talking about. I mean, there's no way in 100 years I am going to bother to learn 600 techniques. I can see maybe there being 30-40, but the rest are just variations of the same. I mean, how many techniques do you need to defend yourself? If you need more than a dozen or two, buy a gun.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2009 2:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    GJJ simulated combat is supposed to teach you to fight, judo kata is supposed to teach you how to do judo kata.
    Yeah, I got that, but my point is that they are both simulated drills that you can easily rehearse, record, and email to someone for evaluation. Judoka get belts for kata, so who not GJJ? I am not for the video recording, but for any judo folks out there, they shouldn't have much to say on it unles they don't aprove of kata either.

Thanks