Page 22 of 105 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 232425263272 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 10:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing can replace live training and sparring. These DVD's are supplemental at best. Any other claims are misleading. I ordered these DVD's and I'll let ppl know what I think of them when they arrive.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2009 5:28pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo child View Post
    Nothing can replace live training and sparring. These DVD's are supplemental at best. Any other claims are misleading. I ordered these DVD's and I'll let ppl know what I think of them when they arrive.

Cool. I was hoping someone would buy them and critique it. Are you planning on taking the test for your blue belt off those?

Posted On:
    3/31/2009 11:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    Cool. I was hoping someone would buy them and critique it. Are you planning on taking the test for your blue belt off those?
    No. I want to earn it the old fashioned way. I've been involved in BJJ more off than on for 11 years and I'm still a white belt. I can wait some more until I get it the way its suppose to be: By rolling until the professor feels that you earned it. I just wanted these DVD's for a supplement cause I feel every blue belt should know these moves. They already came in nd I'll review them Thursday and Friday.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 12:00am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    There are a few reviews up on the net, such as on The Underground. I would normally just link, but as threads on there swiftly disappear unless you're a paying member:

Quote Originally Posted by Tycinio, Feb 09
    Alright here it is!!

First let me say I do not train at the gracie academy. Except for a 3 hour seminar with Ryron about 4 years ago, I have never met or trained with anyone there.

These dvd’s cover street self defence for bjj. I’m not talking about some of the older self defence techniques that a lot of people don’t like, but applicable things like defending punches from the mount and the guard, or defending against strikes to get the clinch and get a takedown. Stuff every bjj’er should know.

These dvd’s are taught by Ryron and Rener Gracie. There teaching is among the best in the world in my opinion. Really breaking the technique down while keeping an incredible amount of detail. Don’t take my word for it though, there are free clips on gracieuniversity.com. There is also a technique list there as well. That being said they only sell the downloadable version there. The actual discs are available at graciecombat.com. The whole package with all 13 discs was $120. Very cheap for what you get. There is an offer for one disc on the home page (graciecombat.com), but if you sign up it takes you to a different page where you have the option to buy the whole set at once.

That said, these dvd’s are very good. Not only the material, but the all around quality. It contains 13 dvd’s, a mini reference book, and a fold out poster size technique flow chart. It also has this in a smaller version in the book if the poster isn’t your thing.

The production quality is excellent. All of the video and audio are a very high standard. There are no clashing colours between the teachers or the background. Very easy to see and hear what is going on. The menus are very easy to navigate, making it simple to find exactly what you are looking for.

Now for what is covered. Let me clear up a big misconception that I had, and am sure others have as well. There is NOT 36 techniques on this set. There are 36 LESSONS. I found out this is a big difference. For example, defending punches from the guard is one lesson, but actually has 4 different techniques covering different options depending on your opponents attack and reactions to your defence. This goes for every other lesson. They all have multiple parts to each lesson, covering different reactions and options.

There are also reflex development drills, and fight simulation drills. The reflex development drill is exactly what it sounds like. Different drills to help you develop you reflexes, timing and technique. The fight simulation drill has a multistage drill where you flow from one position to another, covering only previously learned techniques into a ‘fight sequence’. This is to help you develop the correct reactions to varying situations. Every lesson has a reflex development drill, and all but the first two lessons have fight simulation drills.

Now when you look at the lesson for defending punches from the guard, you have the four different techniques as stated above, plus the reflex development drill, plus the fight simulation drill. Quite a bit of material for one lesson. Now you only have two lessons left on that disc, and another 12 discs to go!

All in all, I think this is a bit of a must to be honest. One of the very few dvd sets to cover self defence, great production, an awesome price, especially considering the price of most sets these days. And to top it all of, really great teaching. But like I said, go and check out the free clips and judge for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero1, Mar 09
    The DVDs are really great. I just watched the first one and zipped through the second one and I´am very impressed.

The stuff they show, the details and the way they connect everything for drilling purpose really make these DVDs more than worth the money.

I think the stuff they show is something every BJJ player should know and it makes me realize how different a Submission Grappling mindset is from the oldschool BJJ mindset.

Sometimes it´s all about a new Butterfly pass, a funky choke from turtle or a new position you can use to surprise your opponent but within all these stuff you forget what really matters when someone is trying to fight you punch you and don´t play with a BJJ mindset.

Great stuff

Take care
    Björn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 5:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only an instructor certificate is seen as instructor level under Helio's branch of the family.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by willparadigm View Post
    Only an instructor certificate is seen as instructor level under Helio's branch of the family.

Yeah, so go to an "instructor" through the video series? What are you saying exactly?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 8:33pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It does sound promising besides the whole grading through video scheme. Coming from a JJJ background myself and seeing as the market for self defense classes is always bigger than the one for competitive fullcontact sport and that this is closer to the traditional Gracie teachings than most modern competition BJJ I can see the value of these lessons ( of course sans the video grading ).

A BJJ instructor can easily offer self defense courses based on these, if the reviews above are to be trusted, and expand his club's member base and probably attract some over to the more fullcontact trainings too.

If other martial arts can offer bullshido self defense classes why can't BJJ instructors offer legit self defense training like this?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 5:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 265lbsfist View Post
    If other martial arts can offer bullshido self defense classes why can't BJJ instructors offer legit self defense training like this?
    Because without resistive sparring the skills to make it work will be absent.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 5:51am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 265lbsfist View Post
    I haven't seen the videos, so really I don't know what I'm talking about, but here goes anyway:

There was a video of some guy doing the blue belt test up on youtube and the "self defence" looked like it pretty much consisted of pulling guard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 4:01pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Because without resistive sparring the skills to make it work will be absent.
    Point taken and I do agree.
    But the vast majority of people wanting self defense wants nothing to do with live sparring. They get bruises and stuff.:biggrin:

However, wouldn't it be better that they learn stuff that actually works even if they don't do live sparring instead of Yellow Bamboo Chi Blasts if I may play Devil's Advocate here?