Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I doubt they'll be using monkeys. I'm sure they have a bunch of black belts who can spend time reviewing. It also makes sense that they would charge for the tests, as that's the time they'll be spending. If you look at perhaps splitting the cost of the online videos ($144 among several people) and the amount of time you spend training with friends, it's not going to be horribly expensive. I guess that's what they're going for.

I do agree having a test straight for blue belt with no stripes along the way, and then testing for each stripe along the way is a good way to hook people in and get them to subscribe for $20/month for the later programs. While the Gracie Combatives DVD set seems to be a good deal compared to other DVD instructionals, I get the feeling JJ Machado's online training where he'll put up new videos in response to questions is probably a better deal for actual training value. Also given that you have access to everything compared to whatever is just up to the next stripe you're testing for.

Is that a common McDojo characteristic, offer a cheap intro and follow up with really expensive stuff after?
    Is this a joke? You honestly think that they have a bunch of blackbelts that are going to sit around watching all these videos? I wouldn't be surprised if the whole system is automated to have a response sent back withing something like 2 days, confirming the belt certification and congratulating you on a job well done. Then sending you a link in the message to the next step in the subscription where you will have to pay to see those videos.

Also, what BJJ video series do you have that was not as good as this combative set? Because if you want to know a little secret, this whole combatives program has pretty much been taught already on their website. You can view all those videos for free on gracieacademy.com. But honestly, this combatives program is not really that in depth. It is really basic. Most BJJ video series have a lot more information in them.

I'm not saying these videos are bad. They look like they have some good instruction. But it is basics, and nothing more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 6:25pm

Style: Judo, BJJ & Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must admit it would be a clever move if they raked in the cash and then failed everyone with an automated reply that says:

"You fucking idiot, you can't learn purely from a video. You fail."

Although I think that it wouldn't help the long term Gracie McJitsu money printing machine.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That would be cool and could add some legitimacy back into the machine. But haven't they already promoted one Blue belt this way? I wonder if there is more.

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 10:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is ridiculous, don't understand how Rorion Gracie allows his own kids to do this, then again he did sue his own couzin carley... Anything for the green.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 12:48am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    Is this a joke? You honestly think that they have a bunch of blackbelts that are going to sit around watching all these videos?
    It's less than 25 minutes to watch, for $85. That's ~$160/hour. Will someone do something for that rate? Yes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole system is automated to have a response sent back withing something like 2 days, confirming the belt certification and congratulating you on a job well done. Then sending you a link in the message to the next step in the subscription where you will have to pay to see those videos.
    While this is possible, it's pure conjecture, and the alternative isn't unlikely.

Also, what BJJ video series do you have that was not as good as this combative set?

Couldn't say, I haven't watched anything more than the free samples.

Because if you want to know a little secret, this whole combatives program has pretty much been taught already on their website. You can view all those videos for free on gracieacademy.com.
    Link?

But honestly, this combatives program is not really that in depth. It is really basic. Most BJJ video series have a lot more information in them.
    Basic is targetted at beginners.

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 1:06am

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A question that I'd like to pose to current BJJ students and practitioners:

What is/are your take(s) on someone with verifiable and legitimate grappling skills but absolutely zero BJJ training taking this online course and rocketing up to Black in a very short amount of time, say a few months? Would you view such an individual as a "real" BJJ black belt, as opposed to someone who's sweated and bled for years in a traditional school?

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 2:05am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a BJJ person, but I do judo which is one of the arts that would give you a lot of the skills needed to do BJJ.

I think if somebody with a nice high rank in judo took this course, they shouldn't take any rank until they attend a BJJ competition and beat people at that rank convincingly.

I don't see why they even need the rank, except to enter the more advanced divisions of BJJ competitions anyway.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 6:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I don't see why they even need the rank, except to enter the more advanced divisions of BJJ competitions anyway.
    Good point. If the main purpose of rank is to pair people of similar skill levels during competition and the Gracie Academy disdains competition, then they have no reason to use a ranking system other than for marketing and as a source for revenue from testing fees.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 6:48am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    A question that I'd like to pose to current BJJ students and practitioners:

What is/are your take(s) on someone with verifiable and legitimate grappling skills but absolutely zero BJJ training taking this online course and rocketing up to Black in a very short amount of time, say a few months? Would you view such an individual as a "real" BJJ black belt, as opposed to someone who's sweated and bled for years in a traditional school?
    That question contains a lot of assumptions that I'm not sure I agree with. If your question is whether an excellent judoka, for instance with a great ground game should get promoted quickly when he begins to train at a legitimate BJJ school, the answer is yes. Whether he'll equate to (and hence be awarded) a BJJ black belt in a very short amount of time is another question altogether. This is, however, a separate question and issue from whether someone can/should be promoted via satellite.

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 10:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to buck the trend here, but I am not quite so negative with the Gracie concept. I guess the way I look at it, it is not ideal, but training with your buddies off of videos is better than nothing at all. Theoretically, if you submit a test video, at least you receive some feedback.

Is this just a money making scheme? Very possibly, but so what if people learn?

As far as the belt ranking goes. you only get out of a martial art what you put into it. Earning a belt demonstrates a minimum level of competency with a set of skills. Obviously, there are a lot of attributes that determine your skill level and one blue belt will not be exactly like another blue belt, even from the same program.

I think this program has the most value for someone with grappling experience who wants to expand their repetoire.