Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So once again we see the assertion that "combatives" is about pulling guard and sweeps to the mount?

What next? Drive by mount escapes?

Fatuous beyond sanity....

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    265lbsfist: When people here talk about GJJ going McDojo, they're talking about Rorian Gracie's branch specifically, not BJJ as a whole.

Diesel: It's some club in Bradford, England. They're certified to level 1, whatever that means, and they train out of a municipal sports centre.
    http://www.myspace.com/ukgraciecombatives

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 4:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    265lbsfist: When people here talk about GJJ going McDojo, they're talking about Rorian Gracie's branch specifically, not BJJ as a whole.

Diesel: It's some club in Bradford, England. They're certified to level 1, whatever that means, and they train out of a municipal sports centre.
    http://www.myspace.com/ukgraciecombatives

Yeah, I noticed that they all have the GJJ academy Gi's on! $$$$

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 5:00pm

Style: Judo, BJJ & Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 265lbsfist View Post
    Ok, sorry if I gave the impression that I see all of judo as McDojo. That was not my intention. I have great respect for the art and occasionally train in it myself to get the quality throwing training I need for BJJ comps. I just got annoyed by your blanket statement that BJJ/GJJ somehow finally was exposed as the McDojo it was. Some of BJJ, as probably some of judo, has always had McDojo qualities. However the legit guys in both sports know of this and treat these subgroups accordingly. I deplore the Gracie University scheme for its McDojoism but to label all of the hundreds of thousands of people getting their asses kicked in legit BJJ training every day to better themselves with the same mark is wholly unfair IMO.

Judo has one great advantage over BJJ in that it has a legit core org keeping the sport and the martial art honest. BJJ has the IBJJF but its rules and regulations are not considered to be binding by many and there are several different associations competing for supremacy. The IBJJF is by far the most recognized and might at some point evolve into the Kodokan of BJJ but it is far from it at this point, unfortunately.

Sorry mate I didn't mean to properly p*ss off any real BJJ pracitioner I was just ribbing them. I have trained with two BJJ world champions from Grace Barra so I know how awesome these guys are. My issue is BJJ has a lot of nut riders, charges far too much and the Gracie Propoganda / money making machine in my opinion is obscene. BJJ training costs a small fortune, whereas I can train with Judo Olympiads for next to nothing. I do believe that judo undersells its self sometimes but I'm glad it's not like BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 5:30pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BomberH View Post
    Sorry mate I didn't mean to properly p*ss off any real BJJ pracitioner I was just ribbing them. I have trained with two BJJ world champions from Grace Barra so I know how awesome these guys are. My issue is BJJ has a lot of nut riders, charges far too much and the Gracie Propoganda / money making machine in my opinion is obscene. BJJ training costs a small fortune, whereas I can train with Judo Olympiads for next to nothing. I do believe that judo undersells its self sometimes but I'm glad it's not like BJJ.
    Hey, no worries.

I agree that BJJ prices itself ludicrously. Here in Norway that doesn't really occur as the athletic tradition here is to pay for what it costs to run a school and nothing more. Hell, I pay the same for training in Rio as I do here. And seminars might cost a bit but are held by great top level guys so they're worth it IMO.

Judo does not get the recognition it deserves today and BJJ is currently the fad of those wannabe's who want to practice the "bestest most deadliestest" art around, sadly.

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 10:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty fucked up, I agree with them posting videos for reference, but for testing and learning exclusively off the net?...Cmmon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 7:43am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Q. If I have other friends that want to train with me, what is the process for that? Since I'm buying the videos, do they have to buy them as well, on their profile, or can they train at my place and use my purchased videos? Another-words, do they still get credit to qualify for a Blue Belt? Thank You, Be Blessed. -los
    GodnGracieJiu-Jitsu (3/22/2009 8:40 PM)
    A. No, they do not have to buy the videos. They can use your videos, and when it comes time to test, they can upload their test videos even though they never purchased the videos in their accounts.
    Rener

I thought this was interesting. If they were really going for a money grab they'd require people to buy the lessons before going for the tests.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 8:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I thought this was interesting. If they were really going for a money grab they'd require people to buy the lessons before going for the tests."

Granted they will lose out some money on this but I think the money to be made is in the testing. Remember you have to test for stripes as well as belts. Plus, if they want to make a claim at legitimacy they won't "auto-pass" every video so you might get some people testing multiple times for the same rank.

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 11:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they did that just for the sake of being able to tell people that they are not requiring people to buy the videos. They are garanteeing that at least one person is going to buy them. Then they are garanteeing that more than one will be paying for the test fee.

Also this whole system is on cruise control. Set up the website, then sit back and let the money roll in. I don't see how it could be much more of a money mill than it is.

There is no telling who will actually be reviewing the test videos. They could have a monkey on the other end pushing the buttons to aprove you for your belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 4:21pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt they'll be using monkeys. I'm sure they have a bunch of black belts who can spend time reviewing. It also makes sense that they would charge for the tests, as that's the time they'll be spending. If you look at perhaps splitting the cost of the online videos ($144 among several people) and the amount of time you spend training with friends, it's not going to be horribly expensive. I guess that's what they're going for.

I do agree having a test straight for blue belt with no stripes along the way, and then testing for each stripe along the way is a good way to hook people in and get them to subscribe for $20/month for the later programs. While the Gracie Combatives DVD set seems to be a good deal compared to other DVD instructionals, I get the feeling JJ Machado's online training where he'll put up new videos in response to questions is probably a better deal for actual training value. Also given that you have access to everything compared to whatever is just up to the next stripe you're testing for.

Is that a common McDojo characteristic, offer a cheap intro and follow up with really expensive stuff after?