Results 1,041 to 1,046 of 1046
Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/08/2013 8:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gracie Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like what Rener and Ryron have done with the combatives videos. Meh to all the haters!
    Last edited by Michael Jeffrey; 7/08/2013 8:48am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2013 10:58am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jeffrey View Post
    I like what Rener and Ryron have done with the combatives videos. Meh to all the haters!
    Seriously. You had to edit that post? For what?!?!?

Listen I like the GJJ videos, but honestly - there are a lot of problems with "distance learning" a grappling art.

105 pages of posts - do you really think they're all haters? Or perhaps there are some informed, intelligent opinions both for and against the Gracies and their program.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2013 7:08pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    Seriously. You had to edit that post? For what?!?!?

Listen I like the GJJ videos, but honestly - there are a lot of problems with "distance learning" a grappling art.

105 pages of posts - do you really think they're all haters? Or perhaps there are some informed, intelligent opinions both for and against the Gracies and their program.

It was a one post necro threader. Even your very valid points will likely just be lost in the kerfuffle. I know many people that attempted to buy an expensive grappling doll and videos and found themselves completely lost when it came to the opponent actually fighting back. The reality of the situation will soon present itself I'm sure. Have faith in Darwinism.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2014 2:18pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And, seeing as how the subject of certain, let's just say, less than legitimate, online training "masters" have been much discussed recently, here's a new video about Gracie University.

Yes, it's long. Honestly every single time I watch one of their videos at the end I'm like "man, I should really try out this Gracie University" thing. This feeling fades over time though.

Anyway, what they're saying here, if you don't have 50 minutes, is that, until now, Blue Belt with 4 stripes was the highest rank you could achieve through the online course, And the way this was achieved was you went through a series of moves necessary for your first stripe, then were tested on those moves via video, then your second stripe vids and test, and so on. Apparently there are over 100 techniques per stripe, so they feel it's very difficult and time consuming to get all 4 stripes.

Anyway, that is what has been happening up until now. The new part is adding in purple and above testing. Once you have earned all 4 blue belt stripes, you will submit a request to test for purple belt. This test must be done in person, either with Rener or Ryron, or one of their appointed black belts. Once you have passed the test in person, you will be given the belt, and you will have another series of stripe tests (done online) and so on.

They also say that, for 80% of people out there, it's impossible to learn bjj online without an instructor, but that there are a percentage of people out there who are exceptional, and are able to put in the time and effort required to learn and advance entirely through online training. They also say this is a great source of additional information for people who are training at a gym.

Best part of the whole video comes near the end when Ryron tries to say something for a couple minutes but can't because Rener won't stop talking... The look he gives the camera at one point had me literally laughing out loud. Anyway, anyone have thoughts on this new development?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/30/2014 3:08pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly I been tainted on Gracie Jiu Jitsu ever since the Schaub incident. I understand the move from “Jiu Jitsu is for fighting” to “Jiu Jitsu is for surviving” as the Grace Jiu Jitsu Trademark. I think its nice that they are doing the anti-bully, self-defense shtick with an effective art at its base. However, I don’t consider a GU blue belt a BJJ blue belt. They can’t compete at that level. The only distance ranking for BJJ I’ve seen done well is 10th planet. 10th planet requires them to have competition wins at their current belt rank.

That’s right I think 10th planet is doing distance ranking better for Jiu Jitsu than Gracie Academy. At the end of the day the GU Blue Belt and now Purple Belt can’t fight, they will become “Masters of the Demo.” Please don't confuse GU (Gracie University) students with people that actually earn their belt at Gracie Academy.

I’ll leave you with Gracie Jiu Jitsu in action. (Green shorts for the confused)

Last edited by Plasma; 1/30/2014 3:15pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2014 3:18pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's unfair to let Schaub's lack of performance reflect poorly on anything except Schaub himself. But that's just me. Ryron vs Galvao was cool imho.

I've rolled with one blue belt who got his blue via GU. He was solid enough. He comes from a wrestling background so he knows how to grapple. GU provided additional information for him, which was combined with training with other folks who trained bjj (not via GU).