Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2009 5:10pm

Style: ARMA Scholar, Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    The big boffer I do recognize as that weird Klingon weapon...

What's with the shield, though?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the combat that goes on at Ren Faires is in semi-choreographed, dramatized shows.
    Basically, it's pro-wrestling with swords, armor, and sometimes horses.
    I highly suspect that video was of the same sort of thing, especially given the ending.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus_dallas View Post
    The big boffer I do recognize as that weird Klingon weapon...

What's with the shield, though?
    Um, it has a Klingon symbol on it. Hey, when did you guys take a picture of me training?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 7:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Most of the combat that goes on at Ren Faires is in semi-choreographed, dramatized shows.
    Basically, it's pro-wrestling with swords, armor, and sometimes horses.
    I highly suspect that video was of the same sort of thing, especially given the ending.
    It looks to me as if they are genuinely sparring up to the point that the big fellow scores a clean hit, and then they switch to crowd-pleasing mode for the "kill". That type of combination of legit. (improvised) sparring and theatricality is pretty common in amateur Ren. Faire demos; professional actor-combatants tend to stick strictly to well-rehearsed, choreographed fight scenes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 8:20pm

Style: ARMA Scholar, Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    It looks to me as if they are genuinely sparring up to the point that the big fellow scores a clean hit, and then they switch to crowd-pleasing mode for the "kill". That type of combination of legit. (improvised) sparring and theatricality is pretty common in amateur Ren. Faire demos; professional actor-combatants tend to stick strictly to well-rehearsed, choreographed fight scenes.
    To the untrained eye (from what friends who watched it told me), it shows totally like semi-choreographed, because of the way moves are made, because there's a tempo, and of course because of the ending.

However, from what I've gathered both from the video and their sayings, I agree with you- it's 'sparring', though judging from speed, choice of targets and techniques it's highly restricted, semi-controlled and at 3/4 speed. Like I said in the first place, I can't blame them for that, they ARE using steel, blunt or not. But for them, it's actual, legit 'combat', and that senseless sword-on-shield-bashing seems to be quite the rave.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 9:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amateur groups tend to evolve their own conventions ("rules" is generally too formal a term) for performing display fights; sometimes they will spar, but in a more grandiose, flamboyant style than if they were not performing for an audience; sometimes they will pre-arrange a specific sequence (often the "kill"), etc.

In this case, I think that they are sparring with the agreement that whoever takes the first "hit" will play it up, as if mortally wounded, so that the other guy can improvise a coup de grāce. The improvisational aspect is obviously far riskier than having a specifically choreographed ending, which is one factor that separates this type of display from professional stage combat.

Like I said earlier, some people free-climb mountains for fun. I've seen some horrific accidents under these conditions, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2009 2:18pm

Style: hard work work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    To me the SCA is an example of people being good at bad rules. As historical fighting, it fails. But it's a fun sport fight.
    That's a kind comment. As a SCAdian, I can't argue with any criticism of the SCA because there is such a huge range of quality in the local practices, and even person to person. On one end are self-deluded will to winners that focus on the fantasy and whine when they loose. On the other end are the stick jocks who approach it like any other sport and have the will to train.

Most of us fall in the middle. I acknowledge the ruleset and don't make any claims to truly realistic tactics (no grappling in the standard rules, no hitting a downed opponent, limited target area). I do try to train to throw full bodied blows and I have taken my bruises from the game. I also go to great lengths to make sure I show up for events with modified rules that allow grappling and punching and things that come closer to all out fighitng. Guillotine in chainmail:

So, as far as that vid, my big problem is arm-only blows. The one that the guy seemed to acknowledge as good (it made the nice tinking sound) should have creased that helm.

My favorite part of the SCA is the lack of arguing over what is or isn't a good blow. Nobody can say "You needed to take that, I could have XYZ." Generally, if you don't feel like you got hit with a good blow, the fight continues. Coming from McDojo point fighting where 5 judges take the fight away from the fighters and never get it right, I love it.

All of my reasons for loving it aside, we are still adults in funny clothes, and I have no defense for that. Yeah, I can say I'm more hardcore than boffer or ren-faire larpers, but I can't say I'm dressed much differently.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2009 7:59pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good clean fun. :)

Heard some Eastern European re-enactment crews pretty much do it fullcontact with blunt weapons ( outside of stabbing of course ) so there are some hardcore guys out there.

Real viking MA BTW:

YouTube - Glima - Icelandic wrestling (1932)

YouTube - Icelandic Glima Action Highlights Video 1

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 12:32am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vaguely related to sword and shield type larping: has anyone been watching the History channel show Battles BC? They take some interesting stories and add some horrible stage combat with 300esque camera tricks. Lots of individual fights amid a battle, with over the top fighting between two guys doing things like leaping over leg strikes, unnecessary spinning for attack and defense, huge backhand shield strikes, behind the back blocks and stabbing opponents behind them.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 12:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't seen the show, but I just watched a promo. clip on YouTube.

Going by the hype:

Taking the lead from Hollywood epics like 300 and Sin City and inspired by the stylized approach of Last Stand of the 300. BATTLES BC is the first of its kind in graphic proportions as we explore the ancient world's superheroes in battle and conflict all with the vibrancy and excitement of a contemporary graphic novel. BATTLES BC unlocks ancient secrets by examining weapons, strategies, and commanders. It will explore the truths and myths behind a world of epic heroes and villains.
    ... the fight choreography actually looks fine, assuming that the object is to mimic the stylized, over-the-top "300" type action.

The big documentary trend towards crowd-pleasing spectacle over historical accuracy is always going to be controversial. The basic idea is to attract viewers who would normally shy away from "educational TV" and kind of sneak in all of the actual historical info. while they're marveling at the kick-ass fights and SFX.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast