Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2009 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus_dallas View Post
    When somebody refers to banging at each other as a "fight", it really doesn't sound like they're LARPing anymore. And judging from his answers to my slightly criticising posts, he does think he's the Real ****.
    Honestly, it doesn't look bad to me. The big guy is keeping himself well-covered with his shield against attacks to different targets, keeps the other fellow mostly on the defensive, then feints low, uses his own shield effectively to trap his opponent's and finishes with a logical cut-stab-slash combination. It's lively, tactical full contact fighting (except for the throat slash at the end, which is obviously playing to the crowd).

I'm not clear on what your objection is.

Posted On:
    3/09/2009 11:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus_dallas View Post
    When somebody refers to banging at each other as a "fight", it really doesn't sound like they're LARPing anymore. And judging from his answers to my slightly criticising posts, he does think he's the Real ****.
    Calling yourself The Real **** in the context of SCA and the like is mostly in the context of "I fucking made this armor myself over twenty long evenings hunched over a metalworking bench after work, someone joined me to swing pieces of steel and rattan and wood at each other, and we research 11th century military tactics before we bang hot wenches with died red hair and bosoms all up in yo' grill."

That's not the same thing as "give me money, sign this contract, act strangely cultlike and I'll show you the secret Viking death slash."

I think you're overreaching here. As Rivington said....we appropriated the term to criticize those in the martial arts. It would be kind of weird to start pillaging the actual LARPing community for...y'know...LARPing.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    3/10/2009 12:03am

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me the SCA is an example of people being good at bad rules. As historical fighting, it fails. But it's a fun sport fight.

Posted On:
    3/10/2009 12:08am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    , and we research 11th century military tactics before we bang FAT wenches with died red hair and bosoms all up in yo' grill."

Fixed your typo

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/10/2009 12:42am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Fixed your typo
    HAHAHAHA...Guilty.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2009 3:08am

Style: ARMA Scholar, Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Honestly, it doesn't look bad to me. The big guy is keeping himself well-covered with his shield against attacks to different targets, keeps the other fellow mostly on the defensive, then feints low, uses his own shield effectively to trap his opponent's and finishes with a logical cut-stab-slash combination. It's lively, tactical full contact fighting (except for the throat slash at the end, which is obviously playing to the crowd).

I'm not clear on what your objection is.
    My objection is that he has awful footwork, attacks only with a high and a low diagonal without any actual momentum (he just casually swings the weapon), he hits him with a glancing blow on the head (the only protected area he has) and the other guy falls so he can get on with the show. There are no leg shots, which are the prime targets against leg users, especially when using viking shields, the cuts are off-target and aiming at the shield just for the swashbuckling effect. The shield trapping was nice, but it felt more like the other guy just extended his shield for that to happen- the loser didn't even actively try to use it (not to mention that the first "charging" cut wouldn't even have hit on target and yet the other guy felt obliged to raise his sword just so the other blade could hit somewhere). These are my issues, technique-wise. But I've seen far, far worse.

My real problem (and hence the reference to LARPing) is that when I tried pointing them out, in a neutral manner (not even in a pure bullshido way, alas), it seems I triggered a defensive reflex (you can check out earlier posts, they're really funny). These guys claim to do LIVE STEEL COMBAT (yes, caps were copied from the original) and after all, as they say, "either way works for us vikings. ", and as a serious practicioner of WMA, this simply hits the bullshit meter. Imagine practicing e.g. muai thai, and these guys post a crappy video of a play fight and claim they're OMG TRAINING FOR TEH BLOOD PITS. Which is why I posted it here in the first place, wondering if any of you guys have ever encountered crap like that.
    Last edited by odysseus_dallas; 3/10/2009 3:14am at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/10/2009 10:14am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At some point, I fully intend to compete in a bat'leth tournament. We'll see if there's anyone who does live steel combat because that's what us Klingons do.

Posted On:
    3/10/2009 12:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ren Faire is Serious Business.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2009 3:26pm

Style: ARMA Scholar, Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    At some point, I fully intend to compete in a bat'leth tournament. We'll see if there's anyone who does live steel combat because that's what us Klingons do.
    Quoted for Awesomeness.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2009 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast