Posted On:
    3/09/2009 4:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido,Jujistu,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Want to start a work out regiment, need advice

Hi,
    I'm very very ignorant about fitness in general. I know nothing about proteins, veggies, dieting and whatnot. I want to start a new program in order to get me in better shape. I should start by giving a bit of background i guess.
    I am 5'9 and 180 pounds. I just turned 20. I used to be a swimmer and water polo player in highschool, but in college I don't have enough time. I go to college and live in a dorm. Most, if not all, of my food comes from the dining hall, however I try to eat healthy as best I can. Twice a day my meals are eat a grilled chicken breast, various grilled veggies, steamed white rice, and a bowl of yogurt. Sometimes if the fruit is good, I'll get a bowl of that. Otherwise throughout the day I might have a chicken sandwich from a fast food place if I get hungry late at night.
    I do drink diet soda, which I am trying to cut down on. On long nights, especially with papers and problem sets, I drink energy drinks to help keep me going, but this isn't too often. My main workout is usually 2 hours of jujitsu 3 times a week. The intensity varies from moderate to high depending on the day. I also began wrestling for an hour on the days that I don't do jujitsu. I consider this high intensity. Besides these things, I do sets of pushups (maybe 4 or 5 sets of 15-20 reps) and crunches (4-5 sets of 25-30 reps).
    My main goal would to try to increase my build. I have fat around my stomach which i'd like to lose. I also want to build up my chest. My cardio isn't the best ( i hurt my hip when I was younger and I haven't been able to run well since) but I don't think I'm "out of shape" too badly.

Would it be unreasonable to want to get down to 160?

Suggestions on diet improvement, workout ideas, and anything else would be appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2009 7:13am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First thing that anyone is probably going to tell you is read the stickies at the top and follow some of the appropriate links there as they may well answer your questions straight out of the gate. There are links related to weight training ideas for both building strength (- and size if you want it) as well as cardio/conditioning options that don't necessarily require running at all (as thats a problem for you).
    Also, take a search of threads in the main forum section similar questions get asked all the time.
    To your last question - yes - 160 should definitely be achievable from 190. How reasonable it is really would depend on how quickly you were trying to do it