Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2009 4:12pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by holdyergroud View Post
    Don't ever let your height and weight dictate what throws you can or cannot do. Of course certain throws are more common among taller players, such as uchi-mata, but that doesn't mean a smaller player cannot have great success with such a throw as his tokui-waza. For instance, my favorite and most successful throw right now is a sit out variation of kata-guruma despite my height of 6'3".

Also, physiologically speaking, I would think taller players would be more vulnerable to ashi-waza such as footsweeps. This is because the legs form a longer (and thus more powerful) lever in relation to your hips. Throws like de-ashi-barai, sasae-tsurikomi-ashi, hiza-guruma, and kosoto-gari (by way of spinning and bringing uke's stepping leg forward so that it does not touch the ground) should be more effective.

But then again, I have only been doing Judo for less than a year (despite training BJJ well before that).
    This.

My current bread and butter is morote seoi nage, which works heaps better if you're shorter than uke. Which, for me, doesn't happen a lot. My instructor is like 5'8 and he has a killer uchi mata that works for him.

I also use harai goshi, which is more of a tall person throw, but I have no flair for ashi waza and the only one I use is ouchi. My foot sweeps are also horrible, and even if somehow they were the ultimate best throws for me I wouldn't use them, because my mind works as a staircase most of the time (google "esprit de l'escalier).

You can master whatever you want. Use what you naturally feel comfortable with, nevermind the people that say "don't do this - it's a short people throw".
    Last edited by kikoolol; 4/10/2009 4:15pm at .

Posted On:
    4/10/2009 9:53pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been loving uchi-mate, though mine is half assed, but works still.

Loving this thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2009 6:24pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    ...I also use harai goshi, which is more of a tall person throw...
    It may be just me, but I have NEVER been able to pull off harai goshi. I just can't stay balanced on one leg long enough. I am 6 feet tall, and weigh around 155 lbs.

...but I have no flair for ashi waza and the only one I use is ouchi. My foot sweeps are also horrible, and even if somehow they were the ultimate best throws for me I wouldn't use them, because my mind works as a staircase most of the time (google "esprit de l'escalier)...
    I hate foot sweeps. I have very little luck using them, and I have very little luck beating people who are so good at them that they are throwing them at me rapid fire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 2:32am

Style: Submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always found success with Tani Otoshi, after Kosoto Gari, and a level change.
    Also, the bread and butter of tai Otoshi, to Uchi mata, is great also. Oh, and the Kani Basami.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 7:05pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kani basami is illegal in competition though.

My current love is Sode Tsurikomi Goshi. I hate stiff armers and this single-handedly disposes of them. I'm surprised.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 9:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo noob and, erm, chess

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried Russian grip variations which are practically made for taller guys? One of my coaches is your build and he always goes directly to a Russian grip which gives him more leverage over shorter, stockier dudes like me.

As a stocky, powerful guy with short arms, I use Russian on really tall judoka as a highly effective, nasty surprise but have to do something cunning to get them to stoop to my level. I've never seen Russian grips used by small judoka on really tall guys for obvious reasons but I like it for the surprise factor. However, us small stocky types have to put an intermediate step in to get them to stoop.

You'll also offend the purists if you use it but it's just my $0.02. Also, bear in mind I'm lacking in experience so there will probably be judoka with significantly better ideas.
    Last edited by Big Gorilla; 5/27/2009 10:21am at . Reason: Flagging up my lack of experience

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 12:54pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By Russian grip do you mean the 2-on-1 or the belt grip or something else?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 4:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation View Post
    By Russian grip do you mean the 2-on-1 or the belt grip or something else?
    Deep over the back grips (for example) and sometimes switching the arm to the wrong side. For example, a Russian Harai Goshi places the hand over the back (I use the belt) and the hand comes in from the wrong side but grips diagonally.

YouTube Russian judo or Russian harai goshi and you will see what I mean.

The reason I like it is the surprise factor (no-one expects a small, stocky guy to do it) and the extra leverage generated makes the throw easier for me.

However, a deep, over-the-back grip is clearly more suited to taller judoka as it is much faster and easier for them to get this grip.

Bear in mind this is only a suggestion and I am not that good so it is worth talking to some taller, highly experienced competition judoka who use this.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 4:28pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah... in the US, due to wrestling's influence, the "Russian" is the 2-on-1 arm tie, as it was made popular in wrestling circles by Russian wrestlers. Glad you clarified.

I use the belt grip for harai, osoto, and sumi gaeshi (thanks to MTripp's seminars), so I know what you're talking about, but as a short guy I only get the grip on tall guys if they are bent over beginners.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 6:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation View Post
    Ah... in the US, due to wrestling's influence, the "Russian" is the 2-on-1 arm tie, as it was made popular in wrestling circles by Russian wrestlers. Glad you clarified.

I use the belt grip for harai, osoto, and sumi gaeshi (thanks to MTripp's seminars), so I know what you're talking about, but as a short guy I only get the grip on tall guys if they are bent over beginners.
    I'm 250lbs and 5'10 so it's more of an occasional surprise weapon against tall judoka (and they're all tall at my height / weight). I try to get them inside by a double handed single lapel pulldown.

However, it's clearly more of a tall guy thing which is why I suggested it, particularly as it gives great leverage.

Didn't know the US name but thanks for the heads-up.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast