Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 8:03pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any appropriate time to do isolated lifts?

I started lifting regularly again, and I am sticking to all compound exercises: presses, squats, dead lifts, rows, etc. I have dropped all the isolated exercises, curls, tricep extensions, etc that I did the last time I lifted regularly (about 5 yrs ago).

My question: under what circumstances if any should I do any muscle isolating exercise?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 8:56pm

Style: Hapkido/BJJ(newb)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rehab is a good example. I like to do some rotator cuff stuff as preventative maintenance.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pre/re-hab, bringing up weak/lagging muscle groups, training protocol, etc.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 10:47pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No re-hab or anything. I will stick to the compound lifts. I can't do dips at this point, any tips for developing the strength needed for these?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 10:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Long Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People that were working up to the normal dips would usually start out with the ones where you have your feet in front of you, heels touching the ground, and arms on a raised surface (we used the bench press seat).

Or you could just do those assisted ones :\

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 10:01am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of gyms have an assisted dip and pullup machine, as killwill referenced. You kneel on a molded piece of plastic and set a counterweight by sliding a pin into a stack. Unlike most machines, the higher the weight, the less resistance (because it's pushing you up from the knees as you're also pushing yourself up). If you have access to one of these, start where you're comfortable and work your way up to 0 assistance. Then you can keep going by adding weight, either by pinching a dumbbell between your ankles, getting a weight vest, or using a weight belt (although I find that these are a pain in the rear end for anyone with a waist under 34 inches or so.)

Speaking of which, anybody have a solution to that problem? That the weight belt at the gym is way too big for me and the D-rings on the end touch each other around me with enough room left inside for a medium-sized Virginia baked ham? Or am I stuck with the grody, decrepit weight vests at my gym? I like to add a bit more weight than is feasible for me with the dumbbell-between-the-ankles method.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 10:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful View Post
    Speaking of which, anybody have a solution to that problem? That the weight belt at the gym is way too big for me and the D-rings on the end touch each other around me with enough room left inside for a medium-sized Virginia baked ham? Or am I stuck with the grody, decrepit weight vests at my gym? I like to add a bit more weight than is feasible for me with the dumbbell-between-the-ankles method.
    ... buy your own?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 10:44am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful View Post
    I don't actually remember a time when my waist was smaller than 34/36. Have you tried children's sport shops? :icon_lol:
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 11:30am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you care at all about looks.... You might just want to do some isolated biceps work. I find that after years of doing multijoint stuff, almost exclusively, my arms and calves look pretty whimpy, especially in the context of the rest of my body.

You can just add a couple of sets in every other week, and it will make more difference than you think, while not getting in the way of the big lifts. I wouldn't go nuts with isolation though.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 11:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayvmann View Post
    If you care at all about looks.... You might just want to do some isolated biceps work. I find that after years of doing multijoint stuff, almost exclusively, my arms and calves look pretty whimpy, especially in the context of the rest of my body.

You can just add a couple of sets in every other week, and it will make more difference than you think, while not getting in the way of the big lifts. I wouldn't go nuts with isolation though.
    Not that I'm disagreeing, but have you been doing rows and chins?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast