Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 10:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knee & Shoulder Stabilization

I have been struggling recently with some stability problems in my left shoulder (dislocated in a high school wrestling match) and my knees. I spoke to a friend of mine who is knowledgeable and he showed me a few stabilization excercizes for both, however I'm throwing this out to the bullshido community to see what else I can come up with.

So far I've been doing unweighted one legged squats and some excercises with a stretching rubber band for my knee. For the shoulder I've been doing one armed pushups against a wall as well as very light rotator cuff rotations (hold something moderately heavy, I've been using soup cans, such that your upper arm is perpendicular to your chest and your forearm is perpendicular to your upper arm and rotate back).

Does anyone have any other good recommendations for stabilization excercises?

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 10:27pm

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I've had similar problems with my knee, Hyper mobile joints, the physio I went to see recommended:-

Hamstring stretches (Mine are pretty tight at the moment, you may be able to skip these). At least 6, hold for 20 secs.

Step-ups - I use a step about 40cm high and I do at least 50 a day.

Squats - The directions I was given for these, was to stop right at the bottom of the squat for 20 seconds, it seems to do the trick though. At least 20 a day

A Stretch (I forget the name of it) you do by lieing face down, grabbing your foot and pulling it towards your buttock. At least 6 on each leg.
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 10:33pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP

Can you elaborate on your problems with knee stabilization?

Is this due to previous injury or lack of overall leg strength?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 11:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My problem with my knees at this point is much less concrete than my shoulder. I've been noticing that when I'm sparring takedowns or what have you, my knees feel - best way I can describe it - funny, as though they're loose somehow. I've never suffered any injuries to my knees other than four years of cross country.

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 1:21am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Due to loose ligaments, I have joint instability just about everywhere (SUUUUUCKS).

For knees almost any one legged exercise will do as long as you're mindful of form. I find if I'm getting stiff or have pain in or around the knee on any given day that riding an exercise bike for a few minutes makes it all but vanish. My favorites for knees are high step-ups, and single leg romanian deadlifts.

Shoulders are complicated due to the nature of the joint. I was told to do all sorts of raises, rows, etc. in the past. Your specific problem should likely be addressed by someone far more qualified than myself, since certain exercises may make the problem worse. I would say though, that stretch your chest muscles is often neglected and can lead to shoulder(s) rolling forward.