1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 11:35am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

When NOT to grip train?

This has come up a couple times in the grappling forum and in here.

Many times when newbs post about hands and fingers hurting or their grip giving out in BJJ or Judo people recommend grip training. I tend to really disagree with this for the true beginner. In the beginning of gi grappling training you will be learning how to grip correctly whcih will have a far larger effect on your sustained grip strength than training. Also, most beginners are holding on for dear life and as such have already blasted thier hands and forearms as much as they probably should.

My general feeling is that grip training right in the beginning of Gi grappling is likely to lead to injury and over training. What a true newb needs is to rest their hands and learn the correct grips.

Then after you have some callouses and know you aren't deathgripping everything in sight you could start grip training for additional gains.

What do you guys think?

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 11:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience is that it's a beginner's gripe that naturally goes away within two weeks or, at most, a month. Regular class is plenty of conditioning for grip strength, technique, and callouses for most practitioners. If, after a month or two, they want to have C-clamps for hands, then I would recommend additional grip training. Before that, it's too ripe for overtraining the hand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 10:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Se-Jong TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just started training last year and I think when you start out you need at least one day off when grip training. You also need to follow a strict number of sets / reps. It take longer for tendons to recover and you don't always feel it right away (but you sure do the next day).

So no grip training on the same day as MA training and no grip training the day before or the day after MA training. So if you don't have tree days in a row without MA, don't think about it.

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 10:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kanegs View Post
    I just started training last year and I think when you start out you need at least one day off when grip training. You also need to follow a strict number of sets / reps. It take longer for tendons to recover and you don't always feel it right away (but you sure do the next day).

So no grip training on the same day as MA training and no grip training the day before or the day after MA training. So if you don't have tree days in a row without MA, don't think about it.
    What grappling do you do?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 11:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Se-Jong TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    What grappling do you do?
    I've done very little grappling (a little clinch work, some basic throws, half-guard, lock-down). I'm sure a BJJ white belt could wipe the mat with me.

I had been doing grip training to strengthen my forearms and the tendons in my hands for striking. Mostly towel pull-ups and work with a heavy grip 100 hand gripper.

I've since started strong lifts 5x5 and lifting put enough stress on my arms that I've stopped doing the towel pull ups. Every now and then I'll use the gripper to make sure I don't regress.

Posted On:
    3/07/2009 1:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    My general feeling is that grip training right in the beginning of Gi grappling is likely to lead to injury and over training. What a true newb needs is to rest their hands and learn the correct grips.
    Seconded.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2009 3:05am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done judo for over twenty years and most of that was as a high level competitor. I never did any grip training and never really heard of any of my teammates doing any either. Lots and lots of hard judo will give you the grip you need.

I'd tend to agree that additional grip training in the beginning stages would probably cause more problems than it would fix since you'd likely be adding more work onto hands that are having trouble handling the stress of beginning judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2009 3:22pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree whiteshark, especially if the beginner will already be performing grip intensive lifts such as Deads outside class.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    3/07/2009 3:53pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a rock climber, I would say it is the same situation as grappling. Don't worry about the hands... you should not be holding on for dear life. Work on technique. The magic is in the legs and feet anyway.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/07/2009 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me put on the black hat then...

Would you tell them not to weight train because they will be using their muscles in Judo and that would be over training? How about body weight exercises?

If grip training leads to injury in Judo, wouldn't the same hold true for any other outside exercise?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast