Sponsored Links Spacer Image

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 11:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Peanut Wussies, Listen Up.

I am a peanut wuss. I developed adult onset allergies to shellfish, strawberries and peanuts (CURSE YOU MOTHER! CURSE YOU FATHER! YOU WERE WRONG!!!) and have always been a tinge jealous of my wife and son who are able to enjoy the simple nutritional beauty that is the peanut butter.

Putting a dollop in a protein drink.....dipping a apple in peanut butter for an afternoon snack....the simple texture and quick smacking of protein.

Nature's almost perfect food.

Now, other nuts, don't bother me...just the peanut....and I found that this:
    http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...prrfnbr=198800

Almond Butter, is a good replacement for peanut butter.

Nutritional facts on the almond butter I purachse:
    Total Calories 195
    Calories From Fat 150
    Total Fat 16 g 25%
    Saturated Fat 1 g 6%
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 0 mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrates 6 g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 4 g 15%
    Sugars 2 g
    Minus Fiber
    g

Protein 7 g
    They also make Cashew Butter and Macadamia Nut Butter

the peanut butter I typically buy:

Amount Per Serving %DV *
    Total Calories 190
    Calories from Fat 140
    Total Fat
    16 g 25%
    Saturated Fat 2.5 g 13%
    Sodium 140 mg 6%
    Total Carbohydrate 7 g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 3 g 12%
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 8 g 16%
    I am losing a gram of protein and gram of sugar.....and so far I am happy with the product. Note: I also get the "No Salt Added" which offsets the Sodium content. My child doesn't like the "No Salt" Peanut Butter, so this is why the Sodium numbers seem wonky

I *was* using Nutella:

http://www.nutellausa.com/nutrition-facts.htm

which, while it tastes great, isn't nutritionally up to the almond butter:

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/ADMINI%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

which you can see is much higher in carbs and lower in the protein.

But I still like Nutella so I have taken to mixing a little in with the Almond Butter for a different taste.

This is my favorite time of year as Pacific Rose Apples are in season:

http://www.produceoasis.com/Items_fo...rose-apple.asp

MMMMMMMMmmmmmMMMmmmMMmmmMMMMMmmMMMMMM

In my opinion this is the nature's most perfectest apple and the only decent thing to come out of New Zealand, with the exception of the Bruce Campbell show "Jack of Trades" .

This is a sweet, delicious, juicy apple that has a nice smooth consistancy and is great for dipping. Yes, it has a bunch of sugar and carbs....but it's a damn apple. [Denis Leary} It's got Vitamin-C in 'em and stuff [/Denis Leary].

If you like a sour apple, this is your mirroruniverse. Otherwise, **** the Red Delicious and get you some Pacific Rose, son.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 9:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh sweet peanut butter. How I love thee.

I live off the stuff.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 9:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Almond butter is not a good replacement for peanut butter. Maybe in terms of nutrition it is, but not in terms of taste and enjoyment. I won't go so far as to say it's gross, but it's got the texture of sand mixed with roofing tar. It won't stay mixed and it tears the goddamn bread every freakin' time I try to make a muther freakin' sandwich, RAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!

Screw you, almond butter!

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 10:30pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are truly missing peanut butter in your life (as I imagine you must be, poor dear), you might try this: http://www.peabutter.ca/

I had some only once at my sister's place, and I couldn't tell it wasn't really smooth peanut butter. Same taste and texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Almond Butter is a good replacement for peanut butter.

But I still like Nutella so I have taken to mixing a little in with the Almond Butter for a different taste. .
    I love almond butter! For fun, try putting some in a dish, add a few chocolate chips and nuke for a few seconds to melt the chocolate. Tastes like chocolate covered almonds you can spread on a sandwich or better yet, pour over vanilla ice cream! Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    This is my favorite time of year as Pacific Rose Apples are in season:

http://www.produceoasis.com/Items_fo...rose-apple.asp

MMMMMMMMmmmmmMMMmmmMMmmmMMMMMmmMMMMMM
    I'll have to see if I can get some. You should also try Jonogold and Honey Crisp - both delicious eating apples. Neither keeps terribly well for long so I wouldn't bother trying either at this time of year, but my family goes through bushels of them every fall.

And the Jonogolds taste spectacular in a sandwich with almond butter!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 10:41pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to hear about your peanut allergy.

We make all sorts of nut butters at home. They are delicious and the kids love them. I'm trying to think what combo of nuts might approximate the flavor of peanut butter. The best I could come up with is grinding:

roasted almonds, roasted hazelnuts, roasted sesame seeds (definitely try these), roasted sunflower seeds and maybe roasted pistachios? Try all or some of these in different quantities and see what you get. Maybe try pistachios and sesames first.

walnuts are too deliciously distinctive. black walnuts even more so. brazil nuts are just too bland. pecans and mac nuts are too mild and buttery.

And to Ka-Bar, yes almonds can be a little gritty if not well ground. Try blanched almonds (lightly roasted). The tough outer skin is removed from blanched almonds. You'll get less insoluble fiber, but you won't get any grit.

As much as I love nut butters, I don't indulge much because they are insanely caloric and I'm not 100% sure the protein is as complete as I would like.

Finally, red delicious apples are the second worst apple available (after golden delicious). They are bland, insipid, often pithy - the quintessential lowest common denominator apple - perfect for your local megamart.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 10:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroChica View Post
    If you are truly missing peanut butter in your life (as I imagine you must be, poor dear), you might try this: http://www.peabutter.ca/

I had some only once at my sister's place, and I couldn't tell it wasn't really smooth peanut butter. Same taste and texture.
    I will have to look out for this and try this.

We actually got a notice sent home from school "reminding us of other student's food sensitivity regarding peanut butter...."
    I love almond butter! For fun, try putting some in a dish, add a few chocolate chips and nuke for a few seconds to melt the chocolate. Tastes like chocolate covered almonds you can spread on a sandwich or better yet, pour over vanilla ice cream! Yum.
    I will see about doing this for the child.
    He is young.
    He can handle this.....

I'll have to see if I can get some. You should also try Jonogold and Honey Crisp - both delicious eating apples. Neither keeps terribly well for long so I wouldn't bother trying either at this time of year, but my family goes through bushels of them every fall.

And the Jonogolds taste spectacular in a sandwich with almond butter!
    I will accept the Honey Crisp only when there are no Pacific Rose......that is how much I loves me some Pacific Rose.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 11:24pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cashew butter is nowhere near as cool as you think it is. I don't think the texture works at all.

Sunbutter (sunflower seeds) isn't half bad.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 11:27pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    Cashew butter is nowhere near as cool as you think it is. I don't think the texture works at all.

Sunbutter (sunflower seeds) isn't half bad.
    HappyOldFart,

Where do ye get the Sunbutter?

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 12:08am

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately I'm spoiled by my local grocer. (andronicos local)

Weak

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 1:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Snake - did your doctor advise you to quit MA (ala Whitekimbo and his thalassemia?)
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast