Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 10:57am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fbat View Post
    "Scientists at the University of Texas medical branch in Galveston found that drinking whole milk after lifting weights boosted muscle protein synthesis an indicator of muscle growth 2.8 times more than drinking skim did."

That was the science I was referring to, hence the first line in my post. Rippetoe's observations on whole milk and weightlifters led him to believe that whole milk is a superior mass builder. The above study seems to prove that point.

Well science was mentioned in a very generic way, which would be hard to follow up. I wish there was a more definitive citing of the study in question. Would be an interesting read. I'll try google and see if I can find the original source, but that seems pretty spotty lately.....

New:

Well after scouring the google responses, I just got a bunch of links from various muscle sites pointing to the same article mentioned above. None of them cite who actually did the science that the article mentions. I did, interestingly enough, get a hit at the University mentioned, and it was just a mention of the article in men's health that mentioned that the university had done the work. They had a link that went back to said article..... There were articles about not drinking raw milk on the universities site.
    Last edited by Cayvmann; 3/05/2009 11:12am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 11:42am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cayymann: I'm glad you found some solid info on the report. I'm surprised the University didn't have anything direct about the study, though. Disappointing.

Anyway, for those who think my post was to glorify Mark Rippetoe, think again. I realize that squats and milk existed before him. I simply agree with his no-BS strategies for training and diet.

I myself have wondered "Is it okay to drink whole milk? Seems like an awful lot of saturated fat." Reading Rippetoe's observations and other various studies have helped to answer that question, at least in my mind.

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 1:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the men in my family died from heart disease, my uncle had open heart surgery at 28, and my mother has arrhythmia. The idea of eating a diet loaded with cholesterol and saturated fat LITERALLY freaks me out.

If it works for those of you with awesome genetics, then more power to ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 5:03pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SuperGuido,

Can you please reference one conclusive study published in any legitimate medical journal linking the eating of saturated fat (and hence, cholesterol) with heart disease?

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 5:19pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't something like 90% of the world lactose intolerant past infancy, and only certain Europeans have the genetic mutation that allows them to digest milk well into adulthood?

That said, I really fucking love my milk, which is a damn shame since I'm trying to lose some central adiposity.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 9:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With all the hard drugs and alcohol people consume regularly, the fact we still have science looking into the health qualities of milk is fucking ridiculous.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 11:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kinda miss milk. My gf only buys skim, and I don't drink colored water, so I miss out. I'll occasionally buy a quart of good old fashioned whole vitamin D enriched milk, and it tastes like ice cream to me..... mmmm

SuperGuido, you might want to look into some of the data behind high protein/fat low carb diets and you might find some data about it actually lowering bad cholesterol. Before agriculture, a few thousand years ago, we humans had been eating high fat and protien diets, with whatever vegetation we could grab on the go. Subtract a few thousand from the (at least) 10's of thousands of years we ate the other way and you might just have to come to a different conclusion. We definitely were not eating a bunch of grains.....

No, I don't think grains are evil, but they are more likely a problem in our diet than milk and meat. Most food allergies are grass/grain related.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12