Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 11:04pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote:Sley
    "I have the perfect show, Orphan fights, they take 2 orphans train one in Wing Chun and one in some other style then have em fight to the death after equal training, repeat and you have the best style determined. "

Great! I know the perfect orphan for the show. Can they have a crutch/bum leg though?

Good point McClaw but that dosen't make WC any better. I don't know much about the other styles besides what i've seen in demos & movies. But do these other styles claim to be made for the street? I think plenty of styles are effective in the street without claiming they are.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 11:22pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post

Good point McClaw but that dosen't make WC any better. I don't know much about the other styles besides what i've seen in demos & movies. But do these other styles claim to be made for the street? I think plenty of styles are effective in the street without claiming they are.
    It's usually that they were created for the battlefields of ancient China, and have been refined to perfection by generations of marauding bandits and bloodthirsty Mongols ever since they were invented by characters from Outlaws of the Marsh.
    So sort of. But more so.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 11:58pm

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 12:01am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    Yep but It won't matter in a few seconds.

Merged.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 2:10am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was almost kind of sad to see the level of respect the fighters had shown for the Sifu and Grandmaster, only for them to be screwed over on the technicality.

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 2:31am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I'm going to get flak for this, but:
    I feel like Wing Chun really isn't that bad, as far as CMA and the willingness to fight goes.
    Think of the amount and quality of Wing Chun sparring you've seen; now, compare this to the amount of Bagua, Jow/Hung/Lau Gar, Northern Praying Mantis, Southern Praying Mantis, Plum Flower Boxing, Long Fist, or Tong Bei that you've seen in action.
    If you're like me, you've seen more of the former than all of the latter put together.
    Once you look at it in context its fucking dismal. There are Wing Chun schools on every street corner of the western world (those much more likely to video tape sparring and put it on youtube) compared to **** all of the other styles. Very faulty logic.

Also i think our definition of 'quality sparring' is different.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/16/2009 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Once you look at it in context its fucking dismal. There are Wing Chun schools on every street corner of the western world (those much more likely to video tape sparring and put it on youtube) compared to **** all of the other styles. Very faulty logic.

Also i think our definition of 'quality sparring' is different.
    You have a point; I'll conced that Wing Chun outnumbers Tanglangquan/etc. forty to one.
    I should point out that I said "quality of sparring," and not "quality sparring." I'm not trying to say that Wing Chun is all that great compared to martial arts at large; just that it's important to keep in mind the amount of Ridiculous which comes out of other CMA's as well.
    For example:
    YouTube - Bagua VS Xing yi #1
    Last edited by TheMightyMcClaw; 4/16/2009 4:37pm at .

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    4/16/2009 4:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with WC is not that it is not a workable and entertaining CMA.
    The problem is the "Kernspecht-ian" supermacho attitude that made the discipline such a douchebag magnet.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/16/2009 7:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    You have a point; I'll conced that Wing Chun outnumbers Tanglangquan/etc. forty to one.
    I should point out that I said "quality of sparring," and not "quality sparring." I'm not trying to say that Wing Chun is all that great compared to martial arts at large; just that it's important to keep in mind the amount of Ridiculous which comes out of other CMA's as well.
    For example:
    YouTube - Bagua VS Xing yi #1

If you call that slapfest sparring you'll make dear lord baby Jesus cry in his ghost manger.

Please tell me that is not typical sparring in either style.

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 2:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saw the fight quest ep. of wing chun, and there's the reason why bruce lee left wing chun and took up boxing instead.

He even said wing chun fights against itself. And watching this ep. clearly shows that.

Wing chun relies too much on theories. That when faced in a real fight, everything goes out the window and turns into sloppy boxing.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast