Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 8:43pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Homeo: dude, you may want to re-think what you're saying there buddy :)

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 8:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O Homeo, Homeo, wherefore art thou Homeo?
    Deny thy faggotry and refuse thy _un;
    Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my (-rep)
    And I'll no longer be a reader of thy posts.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 3/05/2009 8:58pm at .

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 8:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    never... ever doubt the appeal of:

Was it really him who got the ballyhoo started?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 9:35pm

Style: We'll see

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by This is Sparta! View Post
    Was it really him who got the ballyhoo started?
    People want to believe in bullshit. It's a coping mechanism. They want to believe that with enough training they can be deadly human weapons that rival anything science can put out.

Bruce Lee is a mythological creature at this point, and people want him to be that way.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 9:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, if Muhammad Ali was a Wing Chun guy, he'd still kick ass. it ain't all style. yeah, you aren't gonna run into any Aikido guys in Dream 6, or any Savate people, or any of those breakdancing Jamaican cats, but it's not all voodoo.
    and lets look at what wing Chun is actually for. it's for street thugs in Hang Kong to beat up citizens and steal their wallets. You can beat the **** out of pensioner with Wing Chun.
    but Jimmy and Doug whored those guys out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 9:56pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Chun in Fight Quest

YouTube - Wing Chun in F.Q part 2

There's a sparring match about 5 minutes in. Full contact, gloves and face mask...things.

Now, as much as i'm aware that these shows are partially just vehicles for the art, it is difficult to see what's inherintely wrong with that sparring match.

Doug does have some profficiency as a boxer, so it can't be explained away simply by him being useless in terms of any martial art.

Now don't get me wrong, a lot of the stuff in the show made me cringe, but that particular sparring match did leave me wondering.

At the very least, it does seem a case of training with the right mentality (aside from the fact that they claim it's a street style, but then stop the fight whenever it gets into clinch territory).

So, is it just my complete lack of training in striking that's showing here, or are they actually doing SOMETHING right?

and yes, i know, i know.:deadhorse

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 10:19pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This threads probably gonna blow up. The sparring although full contact (allegedly) still appeard to be within the wingchun skill set. If the guy with "boxing expierence" went in a real full contact match against the WC guys, with less restrictive WC based rules I wonder if it would have looked different. On the boat the one guy seemed to easily overcome and defend against the skilled WC practitioners. Then alll of a sudden he's falling off a boat? Looks like some tv magic to me.

I'm not even one the WC haters on this site (many of whom have actually practiced WC). The guys in the video may be better off than the majority of other WC guys but i'm still not impressed.

The problem with TV shows that showcase and demonstrate different MAs is that to me the host often looks like he's trying to support the practitioners of the various styles demonstrated. IF these shows had a more skeptical or competitive attitude (ex. fighters from diff styles fight under rules not necessarily catering to their style)I would be more impressed. I still enjoy these programs compared to the other crap on TV but someone who dosen't know MAs is really getting the "wool pulled over their eyes".

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 10:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    This threads probably gonna blow up. The sparring although full contact (allegedly) still appeard to be within the wingchun skill set. If the guy with "boxing expierence" went in a real full contact match against the WC guys, with less restrictive WC based rules I wonder if it would have looked different. On the boat the one guy seemed to easily overcome and defend against the skilled WC practitioners. Then alll of a sudden he's falling off a boat? Looks like some tv magic to me.

I'm not even one the WC haters on this site (many of whom have actually practiced WC). The guys in the video may be better off than the majority of other WC guys but i'm still not impressed.

The problem with TV shows that showcase and demonstrate different MAs is that to me the host often looks like he's trying to support the practitioners of the various styles demonstrated. IF these shows had a more skeptical or competitive attitude (ex. fighters from diff styles fight under rules not necessarily catering to their style)I would be more impressed. I still enjoy these programs compared to the other crap on TV but someone who dosen't know MAs is really getting the "wool pulled over their eyes".
    I have the perfect show, Orphan fights, they take 2 orphans train one in Wing Chun and one in some other style then have em fight to the death after equal training, repeat and you have the best style determined.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 10:48pm

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't there already a thread on this?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 10:51pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to get flak for this, but:
    I feel like Wing Chun really isn't that bad, as far as CMA and the willingness to fight goes.
    Think of the amount and quality of Wing Chun sparring you've seen; now, compare this to the amount of Bagua, Jow/Hung/Lau Gar, Northern Praying Mantis, Southern Praying Mantis, Plum Flower Boxing, Long Fist, or Tong Bei that you've seen in action.
    If you're like me, you've seen more of the former than all of the latter put together.
    Last edited by TheMightyMcClaw; 4/14/2009 10:56pm at .
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast