Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 3:57am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 100xobm View Post
    My impression is that those guys are kinda sycophantic.
    But it's still the better one of the two shows.

A direct quote:
    "It's not all about damage"
    When the **** did I write this?
    I was reading this thread and thinking "what kind of fuckwit writes sycophantic in everyday conversation?"

Damn...

::EDIT::

****, I didn't realise I was part of a semi-dead resurrection.

I just fail tonight.

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 9:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't apologize for not being illiterate.

There's a distinct difference between someone who pretentiously throws the biggest words possible into every sentence and someone who draws upon a decent vocabulary to pick the best words to convey their meaning.

You do fail for necro-ing, however, and doubly so for necro-ing a WC thread!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 10:52am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Yes well, +1 for sparring, -10000000000 for judging who won based on who's technique was more wingy chunny as supposed to who ate more damage and got hit less. That's fucking retarded.
    Sorry if this comes late, but I have been watching all the FQ episodes on youtube just last week, and if I remember correctly, the muay thai one got judged on how muay thai the techniques were as well?

See 1:32

YouTube - Fight Quest Muay Thai - Final Fights

Now I am not saying _ing _un is any better than muay thai or whatever.

Personal opinion on the whole FQ _un episode, I didn't think that the Kwoon that doug went to made _un look bad at all. Doug is not an untrained opponent, in good physical shape, with previous training.
    I think that in the first sparring session, when doug gets pummeled quite a bit, is a good example of how _un should work. Same goes for the first round of the end fight. He's covering up a lot at first, and then the fight gets interrupted, which gives him opportunity to recompose.

Thing that I'd like to know is what kind of experience and level of training the end fight dudes had. Why does that matter you might ask? Maybe Doug isn't, but his buddy is a pro MMA fighter. Well, have a pro boxer go agains the FQ dudes, or a white collar boxer who is also an IT worker. I bet the difference would show.

I also wonder how in the end fight each fight got judged. Sounds to me they awarded doug the fight because it was one of Kongs guys going against him, and they had a fairer attitude, but when one of LTs guys gets pummeled someone ruled it as "not chun enough" to save LTs face.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 11:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fight for the MT episode is, as far as I'm aware, judged the same way as any other MT fight, with the winning of rounds based on damage dealt. If it was scored on whom was more Muay Thaiy, that would be dumb, but it doesn't really matter.

Why not? Because MT is proven as effective, and also doesn't claim to be "the deadly". MT fighters do all the talking, and the sport stands on it's own two legs. WC is not a proven art, so to watch a douche get his ass kicked by a boxer, and then win because he was doing more Wing Chun than the other guy makes, in my eyes, WC a confirmed fucking waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 2:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It explicitly says "but the fights are judged on technique as well as strength" in the MT episode.

All the other comments you made are good and valid, and the judgement in the last bit isn't glorious, I agree with that. But to neglect what else shines through in the episode, which is some approach that worked in the sparring with Doug, is as ignorant as just believing the "deadly" argument. Just my 2p.
    Last edited by peeowee; 8/05/2009 2:26pm at .

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 2:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What techniques?
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 2:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the MT video you mean? He knocks the thai guy down, but can't just mow him with strikes because the kicks and knees count more points if I understood that right?

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 7:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought you meant the techniques of the Wing Chun episode.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 10:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing Chun sucks, fact

see I said fact, now shut the **** up about it being good

Posted On:
    8/06/2009 3:52am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peeowee View Post
    I think that in the first sparring session, when doug gets pummeled quite a bit, is a good example of how _un should work. Same goes for the first round of the end fight. He's covering up a lot at first, and then the fight gets interrupted, which gives him opportunity to recompose.
    But pummeled implies he got hurt, or even hit.

1) He got hit on the arms, i.e. he covered up, i.e. he blocked. Just because his guard is a collapsed guard doesn't mean he's not protecting himself.

2) He wasn't hurt at all.

Two is the most important thing to define your martial art by. And (I've done chun for four years) neither of those guys were even rocked by a single chun strike.

That is why wing chun fails. I will concede that sometimes a chunner can block a hit when they've got the perfect set up, just like I could win a land war in china if I had five to one odds.

However, the stance is not conducive to hurting people, period.
    It's not even conducive to standing up well.

Pigeon toes my ass.

::EDIT::
    Hey, I've written in this thread before. And forgotten about it before.

Boy is my face red.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast