Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2004 10:47pm

Style: Jacksons Gaidojitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need some feedback about proper dieting now that I am training

3 years ago I was supa-fat. Had stopped training and was spending my days online gaming and eating shitty foods. Blew up faster than a ballon on a high pressure helium tank. A year ago I decided to start eating an atkins style diet (low carb/high fat).

I have to admit I really enjoy eating this style of diet. I figured out my BMR and worked my fat intake around my lean ideal fighting weight and began. I was lifting weights 3 times a week and doing an hour of cardio (low impact illiptical) 5 times a week. Over a year the weight peeled off and finally I was in a condition (although still not at my ideal fighting weight) to begin training again.

Unfortunatly, even with taking in quite a bit of fat I am having problems keeping up with a high intensity groundfighting and kickboxing regeme.

I tried doing a version of the low carb diet called the anabolic diet. This diet followed the same guidlines eating low carb monday-friday while switching to high carb saturday and sunday. This worked a little better as my monday and tuesday workouts were great. Come wedsnday though I was in the same position fatigue wise.

At this point I am wondering if any low carb fighters are out there that could give me advise on keeping my energy levels up while going through this intense training.

Otherwise I am gonna switch out my diet and eat low gycemic index carbs while taking in about 15-20% good fats and 1gram of protien per kg of lean body weight.

CLM

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2004 11:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no expert, but if you are training hard you would be burning more carbs than you would otherwise. Therefore, you could increase your carb intake some so that you are still burning them, but will have more energy. Take that with a grain of salt though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2004 11:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers udo. I'll take that a step further and say that at this point, congrats on your weight-loss. Now move on to a diet that will not harm you long term. Dr. Adkins was under constant negative scrutiny by his peers and professional review boards. The adkins diet, while good for dropping weight on the cheap is - like most fad diets - not a healthy way of life. Up your carbs. The good thing about the adkins diet is that you at least get an understanding of good versus bad carbs. Lower your saturated fats, and up your wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, grain cereals, etc. The adkins diet is mainly for lazy people who don't want to give up shitty food. You sound neither lazy, nor undisciplined about your diet so just eat the right carbs and get your energy and life back.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2004 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Haksaeng
    Cheers udo. I'll take that a step further and say that at this point, congrats on your weight-loss. Now move on to a diet that will not harm you long term. Dr. Adkins was under constant negative scrutiny by his peers and professional review boards. The adkins diet, while good for dropping weight on the cheap is - like most fad diets - not a healthy way of life. Up your carbs. The good thing about the adkins diet is that you at least get an understanding of good versus bad carbs. Lower your saturated fats, and up your wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, grain cereals, etc. The adkins diet is mainly for lazy people who don't want to give up shitty food. You sound neither lazy, nor undisciplined about your diet so just eat the right carbs and get your energy and life back.
    Exactly right from beginning to end.

Eat more veggie's!!!!!!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2004 11:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vegetables are what food eats.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2004 11:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vegetables are what food eats.
    LOL! That is fucking great. Thanks for the props Amp.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2004 11:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Atkins Diet boom of the the last 5 years is gonna fuel the heart disease boom of the next 10 years.

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 12:45am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eskimos traditionally ate about %90 meat with very high fat and had almost no heart disease before the introduction of cheap processed foods high in carbs.

http://www.low-carb-diet-recipes.com...rol.htm#critic

C.L.M.

Atkins is for weight loss, is not sustainable and is certainly not for training.

There are more sustainable low carb diets.

If you don't mind a little reading:
    http://www.low-carb-diet-recipes.com/

This site compares several different low carb approaches.

I personally like the Protein Power approach and they got positive results with competitive athletes (a college swim team).
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 1:08am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything too extreme is not a good idea.

Moderate your carbs and fats. Up your proteins and vegetables. Avoid processed sugars.

Hell, if I could only follow my own advice I wouldn't have this damn gut...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 1:11am

Style: Jacksons Gaidojitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Little Idea,

Thank you for the link, I have been reading the info. Interesting stuff. That Caveman Diet in teh win!

Something I wonder about though is a low carb diet that does not put the body into Keitosis. Once the body is in keitosis it is using fats as the energy source. If it is not in keitosis then it will be looking to use glycogen as the primary energy source.

The thing I dont get is that if you do a low carb diet that doesnt put you in keitosis, how do you have much energy for anything?

Perhaps I am missing something in the physiology.

CLM

P.S. Damn I wish I would have found some of these recipies before I started this diet :) ah oh well.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast