Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 3:58pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yet another training routine

I just made my first attempt at writing up a training routine, and I'd like to know just how bad I messed up. So, without further ado, my program:

Workout A:
    5x5 squat
    5x5 upright barbell row
    'mingled' with
    5x5 bench press
    3xF towel pullups
    4x8 single leg pushups

Workout B:
    5x5 Deadlift
    5x5 Leg press
    5x5 Military press
    'mingled' with
    5xF Pull up behind the neck
    3xF Captain's chair

Workout C:
    5x5 Good Morning
    5x5 Lunge squat
    5x5 upright barbell row
    'mingled' with
    5xF dips
    3xF Contralateral hand to toe touch

I'll try to explain some of the pecularities: First off, the relative lack of squatting is due to the fact that I've only got access to a weight room with a squat rack one day a week (which is also why I have three workouts). Second, "'mingled' with" means that I do the first exercise and after a short break do the other, and after another short break do the first one.

The part that I'm most certain I got wrong was, of course, the 5xF. Am I asking for strained muscles with this? If that's the case I'm thinking of substituting it with 3xF mingled with the last sets. Also, I'm not sure if pulling up "behind the neck" makes a difference.

Finally, the "Contralateral hand to toe touch" is where you start in a pushup position, extend one leg to the side and up and touch it with the opposite hand. It's supposed to be an abdominal excercise. Do ask if there's another obscure excercise you don't know in the list.

EDIT: I left out one important detail; The program is supposed to be mainly for strength.
    Last edited by Hertzyscowicz; 3/01/2009 4:02pm at .

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 5:41pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's probably someone more qualified on this than me but no one's answered yet so here goes. I'm not sure how oftn you plan on doing your workout i'm assuming 3 days a week every other day. Also, it seems your attempting to train your whole body every time you workout. I've heard this is good and necessary for beginners to equalize overall body condition. BUt after 9 months to a year of weight lifting you should start working out each muscle group 1 day a week hard core. Ex. mon Arms,biceps triceps,&shoulders -wed. Chest and back -Fri legs. As for abs some work them every workout, and some do them just like every other muscle group. I've tried several workouts and finally the routine I just listed seems to be effective. The exercises you have listed seem ok but you are lacking arm exercises. You have some compound exercises that may work the arms w/ the body but if you want to increase strength overall you need to isolate your arms. I tried doing the whole bodyweight thing for a while and progress was very slow and not quite what I was looking for, but it goes good w/ wieghtlifing.

Check out this site http://scoobysworkshop.com/ . It's free. This guy gives pretty good advice that seems to match up w/ other books I've read, and he explains things well.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does F mean? Failure?

How many days a week are you going to be doing this and how often are you training MA?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 7:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, F means failure.

I'm training three days a week. Actually, I haven't quite gotten around to finding an MA gym around here; I'm in student exchange in Russia, and my Russian isn't quite what it might be. So, naturally I'm not quite sure how much MA I'll manage to fit in my schedule.

I'm not thinking of doing too much of the excercices with body weight. I'm trying to think of adding weights to any of the excercices as I get stronger. I've already thought of a couple of ways to add weights to most.

Also, I'm a bit confused on the total body/muscle group debate, looks like there's somebody out there with a decent argument for any position in that. It might just be that I haven't been paying attention. Anyway, I'm less than a year into resistan€ce training, anyway, so I'll stick with whole body workouts for now.
    Last edited by Hertzyscowicz; 3/02/2009 7:21am at .

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 11:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was another thread fairly recently that discussed training to failure. Hopefully someone can link it for you, I'm on my BB and can't really search for it but the general consensus was that training until failure wasn't a particularly good idea.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 3:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All right, I'll hit the search function for that. On the other hand, I've read that the correct way to do pullups, chin-ups and dips for strength is to train until failure and add some weight if your first set is over ten or so reps.

EDIT: Is itthis one or this one?
    Last edited by Hertzyscowicz; 3/02/2009 3:42pm at .

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 4:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are many people who post here that know a hell of a lot more than I do but to me, that doesn't sound right at all.

The most advocated strength routine on here seems to be 5x5. Have you tried that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 5:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've actually been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 for a few months. Even that one had the dips and pullups/chinups as three sets to failure. I think I'll switch to 5x5 for the mingled ones, at least, by what I managed to glean from those two threads that I found.

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 11:38pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd still ad in some srtict arm exercise to your routine. As for you workout as a whole it may be best to find a workout that makes sense to you and is geared toward what you're looking for try it for a while and see how your body reacts.

The biggest pain in the ass is finding a place that lists a good workout and answers all of your questions. Recently i've talked w/ some guys who don't believe in doing the same exercise more than 1 day a week for 2 weeks in a row the week after that they do another exercise for the same muscle group and evetually cycle back and start over. I've read this same concept in a few books and it seems to work for me. But many reputable wieghtlifting sources don't mention how oftern to change your routine.

My point is found a routine tried it out for almost 3 months now & I like it. I feel good after my workout but I also feel like I really did something. I've tried other routines where I finish and feel like I could do it all over 10 min later. Or routines where I feel like crap afterward.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    3/03/2009 2:51am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to ask what your goals are with this routine, how long have you been training, and how long were you planning on following this routine for? Your working out your legs three times a week with heavy weights and low rep ranges on each set. It's a surefire way to injure yourself and overtrain. Are you planning on including any cardiovascular exercise into this mix?

Honestly I would clearly define what goals you have and scrap this routine. It seems like you took the 5x5 system and added a bunch of stuff to it for reasons I don't understand
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast