Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 232930313233 34353637 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/26/2010 12:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Mike was a short center so it makes sense that he'd take more of the brunt on his head. Rugby seems the better game in this regard.

I probably misunderstood the info I saw re:neck brace+helmet. Still, hitting stuff with your head seems stupid <irony>
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/26/2010 1:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    Yeah, Mike was a short center so it makes sense that he'd take more of the brunt on his head. Rugby seems the better game in this regard.
    My understanding is that the tradeoff of playing without helmets is that you're a lot less likely to sustain damage from repeated, intentional blows to the head, but you're more susceptible to accidental contact, esp. with elbows, knees, and the ground. Probably a higher chance of skull fracture too, but that's just my best guess.

I wonder how the game would change if they put accelerometers inside the helmets and you were automatically benched for a few plays if you exceeded a certain number of Gs? You'd probably have to put in rules to suspend players for dishing out head-slaps...
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    1/26/2010 1:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    some of those lineman hit so freaking hard that it is ridiculous. They'd get "G'd" right out of the game from the first snap.

My pops played Rugby and its hard to get a concussion when the front-row monster the other side is too busy trying to tear your ear off...just saying.

A totally unrelated note: I was talking to Jasha who is the Oly lift trainer at our gym; he trained Greco-Roman rasslers in Colorado and was an Olympic powerlift competitor himself so it was totally cool to get his input on "stabalization" (LOL)

He has this formula for strength training where a male basically wants to hit about 300# for his back-squat then move on to front-squat/cleans/snatches/etc since they are more athletic moves. Sets up the strength base for the rest of the game. He talked to me about Sambo/Judo and such and how it benefits not only my muscular strength but also the neural pathways associated with lifts that are similar to my favorite throws.

*sigh* why is it I meet these trainers in my later years?
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/26/2010 9:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    some of those lineman hit so freaking hard that it is ridiculous. They'd get "G'd" right out of the game from the first snap.
    The idea is that they'd be forced to change their technique to avoid getting booted, much like players have to consciously avoid late hits on the quarterback or kicker.

My pops played Rugby and its hard to get a concussion when the front-row monster the other side is too busy trying to tear your ear off...just saying.
    My little bro played rugby for a while, up until (IIRC) catching a knee in the head and getting concussed. (Wonder if there's a genetic predisposition?)

A totally unrelated note: I was talking to Jasha who is the Oly lift trainer at our gym; he trained Greco-Roman rasslers in Colorado and was an Olympic powerlift competitor himself so it was totally cool to get his input on "stabalization" (LOL)

He has this formula for strength training where a male basically wants to hit about 300# for his back-squat then move on to front-squat/cleans/snatches/etc since they are more athletic moves. Sets up the strength base for the rest of the game. He talked to me about Sambo/Judo and such and how it benefits not only my muscular strength but also the neural pathways associated with lifts that are similar to my favorite throws.

*sigh* why is it I meet these trainers in my later years?
    I know how you feel.

Also, the squats thing reminds me of this:

Finally, on the day I squatted 400 pounds, I reported back to Remy, all excited.
    "Good," he said upon hearing what I thought was big news.
    "Now you can squat as much as my women sprinters."
    -Romo: My Life On The Edge

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/30/2010 1:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My physio's got me on a new program. It's pretty soft, but I guess that's the whole idea. No point rushing back into things and getting hurt.

---

Don't y'all love it when you come up with a great idea, only to find out that someone else is already doing it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetoencephalography

I was thinking that it'd be neat to rig one of these up to the spine or a limb to more precisely map nervous activity to muscular contraction in space and time.

---

This just in: Body weight is not the same thing as body fat!

Can you be normal weight and fat at the same time?

That's the implication of a provocative recent report from the Mayo Clinic, which suggests that fat in your body can get you and your heart into trouble even if you don't look fat and if the scale tells you you're healthy.

The Mayo researchers, led by cardiologist Francisco Lopez-Jimenez, have coined a term for the phenomenon: normal weight obesity. In a study that looked at data from 6,171 Americans with normal body size, as measured by body mass index, those with a high percentage of body fat were at significantly greater risk of future heart problems than those with low amounts of fat. Their bodies "behave like they are obese, but they are not," Dr. Lopez-Jimenez says.

People don't have to be overweight to have excess body fat. Instead, these people have a higher ratio of fat to muscle tissue than do people with low body fat. Indeed, even people of the same weight, or those with comparable body mass index, which factors together weight and height, can have different body-fat percentages....
    -Wall Street Journal

"Provocative"? Maybe for idiots.
    Last edited by TheRuss; 1/30/2010 1:49pm at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 2:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Testosterone's been a hot topic lately.

During separate weeks in counterbalanced order, each subject received both 5 days of bright light treatment (BL) and 5 days of placebo light treatment (PL) for 1 h (05:00-06:00). LH excretion was increased 69.5% after bright light exposure, but was not changed by placebo light exposure.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12676335

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 3:52pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And, of course, so is interval training.

Results: Both exercise groups demonstrated a significant improvement (P<0.05) in cardiovascular fitness. However, only the HIIE group had a significant reduction in total body mass (TBM), fat mass (FM), trunk fat and fasting plasma insulin levels. There was significant fat loss (P<0.05) in legs compared to arms in the HIIE group only.
    -Trapp et al., "The effects of high-intensity intermittent exercise training on fat loss and fasting insulin levels of young women"

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 10:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last night, I fried a kilo of bacon. Today, when I went to clean up, I decided to weigh the fat that was left in the pan.

264 grams - no water, just fat.

So although the package says that each 40g strip contains 16g fat, only about 5.5g of that is actually making it into my mouth.

There is a lesson to be learned here.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/18/2010 2:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Subscribes, and not just because TR has saved him from t3h d34l1 b4c0n.

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 8:20pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wanted to say, "Thanks" this thread is kicking ass! I've made my way through it over the past week at work, reading, secretly, all the tasty tidbits of your research, and your trials, TheRuss.

Thanks for having all this awesome knowledge and research all in one place. I hope you can get the stuff you need to get better, and get the right care!
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.
Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 232930313233 34353637 ... LastLast