Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 222829303132 33343536 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 12:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    missed this, if it was in this thread, but you're lifting again?

huzzah!
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 1:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on being able to lift weights again, Russ. A winner is you!

Watch out y'all, nigga's gonna get swole.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 2:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, guys. I'm gonna try not to **** it up this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 10:44am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, does that mean primarily dihedral vector weight training?
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 1:31am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by egg-nog puke View Post
    So, does that mean primarily dihedral vector weight training?
    Yup, centerline/stabilizers split.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/25/2010 12:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I helped push a few cars out of snowdrifts today... I'm definitely not as strong as I was before. It'll come, though.

---

Parents and doctors often underestimate the severity of concussions among children, Canadian researchers contend, and they think the best solution is to scrap the word and replace it with "mild traumatic brain injury."

Carol DeMatteo, an occupational therapist and associate clinical professor in the School of Rehabilitation Science at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ont., says children diagnosed with concussions are treated differently from kids with other mild brain injuries.

In a study to be published in the February issue of the journal Pediatrics, she found that kids with concussions spend fewer days in hospital, and return to school sooner than kids with head injuries not diagnosed as concussion....
    -CTV

This is compounded by the fact that - to the best of my knowledge - there's no bright line between "concussed" and "not concussed".

---

... My doctor at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, Joseph Feinberg, seems to share my opinion. “Very often, I think the hot packs, cold packs, ultrasound and electrostimulation are unnecessary,” he said, adding, “For sure, in many cases these modalities are a waste of time.”

So has physical therapy been tested for garden-variety sports injuries like tendinosis? Or is it just accepted without much question by people who urgently want to get better?

It depends, says James J. Irrgang, a researcher in the department of orthopedic surgery at the University of Pittsburgh and president of the orthopedic section of the American Physical Therapy Association.

“There is a growing body of evidence that supports what physical therapists do, but there is a lot of voodoo out there, too,” Dr. Irrgang said. “You can waste a lot of time and money on things that aren’t very helpful.”...
    -New York Times

You know, it wouldn't be too hard to recruit people for these studies - just tell a bunch of jocks that every time they get injured, they can come into a study, and they're either going to get free physio or a placebo (but still be carefully monitored).

Posted On:
    1/25/2010 1:19am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there is a group of NFL ballers that are donating their brains post-mortem study for exactly this reason. I heard it on the radio and forgot to look it up so now I've totally forgotten the context etc.

I'm sure it can be Google-Fu'd...
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/25/2010 1:39am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    there is a group of NFL ballers that are donating their brains post-mortem study for exactly this reason. I heard it on the radio and forgot to look it up so now I've totally forgotten the context etc.

I'm sure it can be Google-Fu'd...
    IIRC, a bunch of NFLers and such are donating their brains to the Sports Legacy Institute. Nowinski is involved with them, and so are Hovda and Omalu (two guys I've quoted earlier in this thread).

Given that the awareness battle is well on its way to being won, hopefully the information coming from these donations will be more useful than "yup, y'all done scrambled your eggs".

Posted On:
    1/25/2010 1:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Particularily sad is Mike Webster, Steelers Hall of Famer. I loved him growing up, he spent the later years of his life living in his car, died at 50. So sad. He suffered terribly from concussions. I think this gave momentum to how important this is.

Seems ironic that the neck stabalization braces might be leading to worse crainial injuries. Sure you don't want to get your neck broken, but the tradoff is more skull rattling. Jesus.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/25/2010 11:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Particularily sad is Mike Webster, Steelers Hall of Famer. I loved him growing up, he spent the later years of his life living in his car, died at 50. So sad. He suffered terribly from concussions. I think this gave momentum to how important this is.
    Man, that's horrible.

Seems ironic that the neck stabalization braces might be leading to worse crainial injuries. Sure you don't want to get your neck broken, but the tradoff is more skull rattling. Jesus.
    One of the articles I saw (I think I may have posted it here, but maybe it was somewhere else) indicated the opposite - when the head and body are moving together, the head will naturally decelerate more gradually upon impact than if it were moving independently.

Doesn't apply to helmet-on-helmet collisions, unfortunately - it's just a question of which player takes the bigger share of damage.
Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 222829303132 33343536 ... LastLast