Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 2:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, in plain English, too much caffeine makes us sleepy? Less able to concentrate?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 8:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    So, in plain English, too much caffeine makes us sleepy? Less able to concentrate?
    You'd think so, but it's fairly easy to demonstrate the opposite (in terms of sleepiness, anyways). I would postulate that stimulant-induced elevated heart rate would counteract the vasoconstriction in the brain, but that's just me spitballing.

No, the plain English is much more serious: caffeine makes head trauma significantly more dangerous.

When your brain takes an impact, chemicals spill out from inside your neurons to the fluid surrounding them. The fancy word for this is "depolarization", and in this case, it's bad news.

Pumping the chemicals back into the neurons where they belong takes extra energy beyond what your brain normally needs to operate.

To generate energy, your brain normally converts glucose into water and carbon dioxide. To do this, it needs oxygen, which comes from the blood pumped to the brain. The wider the blood vessels are, the more blood flows through them and the more oxygen the brain can get from them.

When you get hit in the head, the blood vessels in your brain get narrower. Narrower vessels carry less blood, less blood holds less oxygen, and less oxygen means less energy to fix up your brain and keep your neurons alive.

Caffeine makes the blood vessels even narrower. Even less blood, even less oxygen, and even less energy to keep your brain cells from dying.

Bad news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 8:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So....not to be an intrusive dick, but how's your caffeine intake been, Russ?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 8:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Kringle-Jime View Post
    So....not to be an intrusive dick, but how's your caffeine intake been, Russ?
    I was on 400mg or so just before the tournament - which is why this keeps coming up. Haven't taken any since then.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/23/2009 1:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For my friends in the nutritional anthropology game:

Starting the day right by eating a bowl of cereal in the morning dates back more than 100,000 years, according to Canadian researchers in a study to be released Friday.

"The consumption of wild cereals among prehistoric hunters and gatherers appears to be far more ancient than previously thought," said study author Julio Mercader.

Indeed, scientific evidence until now showed the practice started only 12,000 years ago at the closing stages of the last Ice Age.

Mercader said in his study he found the oldest example of early man's extensive consumption of cereal and root staples in a deep limestone cave near Lake Niassa in Mozambique....
    -AFP

Here is the paper referred to.

Posted On:
    12/23/2009 9:18am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Here is the paper referred to.
    Interesting paper. There's some criticism for his findings, but I wouldn't be shocked to learn that sorghum figured into their diet in some form. In particular, given the energy inefficiency involved with processing grass, I'm led to wonder if they weren't open-air fermenting it into a kind of lambic (primates will go a long way for a buzz).

BTW: the ~12k YBP number people keep using for the introduction of grain to the diet has already been trashed by milled grass seeds found at an Israeli site dating ~23k YBP.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/31/2009 8:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I saw ATP tablets on a nutrition-supply site today. They're running $0.60/tablet for 125mg of the stuff. Seems... a bit pricey, especially since this is the only literature I could find on the subject:

Twenty-seven healthy males successfully completed the trial, after randomly receiving in a double-blind manner an oral dose of low dose (150 mg) or high dose (225 mg) ATP, or matched placebo. To improve absorption characteristics, the ATP was enterically coated. Total blood ATP (whole blood and plasma ATP) concentrations, two Wingate anaerobic power tests (30 s), and muscular strength (1RM and three sets of repetitions to fatigue at 70% of 1RM) were measured under three conditions: (i) baseline; (ii) acutely (7d later, no prior supplementation and 75 min after ATP ingestion); and (iii) after 14 d of daily ingestion (post). RESULTS: Statistical analyses showed no significant between or within group treatment effects for whole blood ATP or plasma ATP concentrations for any treatment condition. We also did not observe any treatment effects for any Wingate testing parameter including peak PO, total work, average PO for 30 s, or post-Wingate lactate accumulation. Overall, we observed no significant between group treatment effects for any muscular strength parameter. We did observe several within group differences for the group ingesting the high ATP dosage including 1RM (6.6%; P < 0.04) and repetitions to fatigue during set 1 of posttesting (18.5%; P < 0.007) and total lifting volume at post (22%; P < 0.003). CONCLUSIONS: We conclude that enterically coated oral ATP supplementation may provide small ergogenic effects on muscular strength under some treatment conditions.
    -Jordan et al., "Effects of oral ATP supplementation on anaerobic power and muscular strength"

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

---

Semi-related: I'm going to have to work through some of the footnotes on Casey and Greenhaff's "Does dietary creatine supplementation play a role in skeletal muscle metabolism and performance?" It looks like the main thrust is that the closer your muscle fibers are to being saturated with creatine, the less of a performance boost you get from supplementing, which is common sense... but some of the other throwaway lines in the abstract and study made me scratch my head.

I remember hearing about creatine/phosphocreatine acting as a way of transporting H+ against a gradient (or something like that) but that was a while ago and I can't remember the details. Damn it.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/07/2010 12:15am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Missed this one earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Skellington View Post
    (primates will go a long way for a buzz)
    As well as elephants, bees and, if I recall correctly, certain birds.

---

First time actually lifting weights in about eleven months. Weights were insubstantial, as one might expect after a year of detraining, but it's a blessing to be able to lift, and I'm going to try to remember that going forward.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    1/07/2010 2:36am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Animals getting high totally made my day, as did this awesome link that came with it.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-real-w...ience-fiction/

Tell me, Russ, what do you know about Modafinil?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/07/2010 9:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    Tell me, Russ, what do you know about Modafinil?
    Not a lot - only that the Cracked description sounds too good to be true. Oh, and Wikipedia says this...

Cephalon plead guilty to a criminal violation and paid several fines, including $50 and $425 million fines to the U.S. government in 2008 due to its marketing
Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212728293031 32333435 ... LastLast