Our Sponsors:

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 2324252632 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 1:31am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am taking Baclofen because I have a neuromuscular disorder which causes spasticity (as the area to the left of this post indicates).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Doctor: "Don't do anything until you've talked to [new neurologist]."
    New neurologist's receptionist: "Six month waiting list."
    Hoping this doesn't happen to me, I've got to make an appointment with a new neurologist tomorrow. I have a list of neurologists in the area, and may just make an appointment with doctor who has the earliest opening in his/her schedule (possibly by making an appointment with a conveniently located doctor and then canceling it if I find that a different doctor can meet with me sooner).

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 11:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Miracleman View Post
    Frankly, I just hope that TheRuss's frustrations and negative experiences with the local medical establishment don't lead him towards the dark side of "alternative" treatments. I'd hate to see him go from "Hey guys, check out this properly-cited article regarding ibuprofen's effects on concussion victims!" to "Hey guys, check out this Geocities page on this totally gnarly homeopathic remedy derived from Muscovy Duck livers!"
    So Outside The Lines (best sports journalism in the world) has published a series of letters between Lou Gehrig and his doctor between his diagnosis and death.

It's painful to see how little we've advanced as a society in terms of medical quackery. Supplementation with vitamins and amino acids, miracle cures peddled by "reliable" sources, and... this cracked me up.

There is a new fad in New York, which folders I am sending you under separate cover. This fad is the drinking of raw vegetable juices and two new shops have been opened in New York and all the belles who are on the verge of falling apart are just flocking these places in their idle moments.

Eleanor, yesterday, was virtually dragged into one of these joints and had hardly seated herself when one of these carrot top, anemic dames walked up and attempted to sell her wheat germ pills with the statement that "these are what cured Lou Gehrig."
    -Seeking Hope, seventh letter
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 8:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    I'm putting the histamine hypothesis to the test.

Doctor: "Don't do anything until you've talked to [new neurologist]."
    New neurologist's receptionist: "Six month waiting list."

So I went out and bought some generic Claritin (loratadine), and I'm going to give it a test drive over the next week or so. We'll see what happens.
    Loratadine was a bust. I just picked up some diphenhydramine (read: Benadryl drowsy). Going to give that a try.

down some pills
    up some hope

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 8:19pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure benadryl is going to help you if other anti-allergy, anti-histamine, anti-inflammatories haven't helped....
    Best of luck though... Here's hoping.
    I assume you've tried Ibuprofin already since it's one of the better anti-inflammatories....

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 8:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ibuprofen + concussions = bad news. Found that one out the hard way.

I've got high hopes for the vasoconstriction end of things with Benadryl, though. It sounds like most of the non-drowsy antihistamines are designed not to penetrate the blood-brain barrier, which is useless to me.

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 10:16pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It does prevent vasoconstriction...

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 10:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    It does prevent vasoconstriction...
    I'm aiming for vasoconstriction - or more properly, to offset histamine-induced vasodilation. And pupil dilation.

And a pony, while I'm at it.

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 10:32pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ummmm http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...nhydramine.htm
    Pharmacodynamics: Diphenhydramine is a first generation antihistamine and is a H 1 receptor antagonist. Antagonism is achieved through blocking the effect of histamine more than blocking its production or release. Diphenhydramine inhibits most responses of smooth muscle to histamine and the vasoconstrictor effects of histamine. The antagonism may also produce anticholinergic effects, antiemetic effects, and significant sedative side effects.

Emphasis is mine. Looks like it prevents vascoconstriction....

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 10:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Ummmm http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...nhydramine.htm
    Pharmacodynamics: Diphenhydramine is a first generation antihistamine and is a H 1 receptor antagonist. Antagonism is achieved through blocking the effect of histamine more than blocking its production or release. Diphenhydramine inhibits most responses of smooth muscle to histamine and the vasoconstrictor effects of histamine. The antagonism may also produce anticholinergic effects, antiemetic effects, and significant sedative side effects.

Emphasis is mine. Looks like it prevents vascoconstriction....
    That's the first time I've ever seen histamine referred to as a vasoconstrictor - every other reference I've ever seen refers to its effect on the H1 receptor as vasodilation. Specifically:

Benadryl and related compounds completely annul the vasodilator effect of the minimal doses of histamine which produce maximal vasodilatation.
    Folkow, "Observations on Reactive Hyperaemia as Related to Histamine, on Drugs Antagonizing Vasodilatation Induced by Histamine and on Vasodilator Properties of Adenosinetri phosphate"

Edit: Check that.

In contrast to the systemic circulation, in the pulmonary circulation, histamine generally elicits vasoconstriction mediated by H1-receptors and vasodilatation by H2-receptors.
    -Marshall, "Characterization and distribution of histamine H1- and H2-receptors in precapillary vessels."

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 10:49pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, what ramifications will that have for the brain? I BARELY understand what I'm reading here, you're background is a lot stronger than mine here.