Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 12:08am

Style: diet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry if i misinterpreted what was said since i didnt read the previous pages of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Part A: What does your doctor say when you ask specifically for bloodwork to determine if you're malnourished?
    determining if you're malnourished isnt as easy as a blood test for 2 reasons
    1. blood tests only cover the amount of nutrients in the blood and not within the cell although it does detect a lot of deficiencies like B12 and iron, etc. so this makes it particularly difficult to see if you have B vitamin (minus B12) and vit C defiency since those are both water soluble vitamins and dont stay inside the body for long (vitC has a halflife of 30 minutes)
    2. even if you are malnourished your body will compensate (somehow*) so that it appears on your tests that you are getting all the vits and mins you need.

* sorry i cant be more specific its been a while since i did my life sciences so i cant remember the exact process i only remember it because i found it interesting.

i have a (slightly off topic) question for you russ, since you live in canada i was wondering what your thoughts on nurse practioners were. im a 3rd year nursing student and have been hearing a lot about them, especially since canada has a lot of them, however every nurse i talk to says they are just wanna be doctors and cant actually do that much, but then im hearing the NP's are setting up their own practices to diagnose and prescribe simple illnesses. just wondering what its like in canada.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 12:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rordogs View Post
    determining if you're malnourished isnt as easy as a blood test for 2 reasons
    1. blood tests only cover the amount of nutrients in the blood and not within the cell although it does detect a lot of deficiencies like B12 and iron, etc. so this makes it particularly difficult to see if you have B vitamin (minus B12) and vit C defiency since those are both water soluble vitamins and dont stay inside the body for long (vitC has a halflife of 30 minutes)
    2. even if you are malnourished your body will compensate (somehow*) so that it appears on your tests that you are getting all the vits and mins you need.

* sorry i cant be more specific its been a while since i did my life sciences so i cant remember the exact process i only remember it because i found it interesting.
    IIRC, testing for deficiencies in fat-soluble vitamins is more difficult than water-soluble vitamins because the liver acts as a buffer to hold serum levels constant (unless it's entirely depleted or entirely full of a given vitamin, that is). And that opens the door to a host of other questions, along the lines of how accurately serum levels reflect intracellular levels, etc.

i have a (slightly off topic) question for you russ, since you live in canada i was wondering what your thoughts on nurse practioners were. im a 3rd year nursing student and have been hearing a lot about them, especially since canada has a lot of them, however every nurse i talk to says they are just wanna be doctors and cant actually do that much, but then im hearing the NP's are setting up their own practices to diagnose and prescribe simple illnesses. just wondering what its like in canada.
    You should have asked me this a few months ago, back when I had a nurse for a roommate.

All I've really heard on the subject is that nurse practitioners have the power to prescribe drugs (don't know if that's true or not, it's just what I've heard). If any nurse practitioners have gone ahead and set up their own practice here, I haven't heard about it, but Saskatchewan has always been fairly resistant to change in that regard.

One of my friends' wives is a nurse, and looking at becoming a nurse practitioner. If you have any particular questions you'd like me to relay to her, I'd be happy to do so.

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 7:06pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought Norway would have socialized medicine?
    Speaking of Norway, I figured you knew how to bring the party, but I didn't know that you are the party:

They all belonged to "the Russ"--partying members of Norway's graduating high-school class. Every year before final exams, these teens purchase and decorate old school buses or vans and then drive around the country celebrating the end of school. The Russ lasts for nearly a month and can cost each student up to £6,000. Many teenagers save up for the occasion and some finagle corporate sponsorships.
    http://www.moreintelligentlife.com/b...e-rite-passage
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/16/2009 10:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rusher View Post
    Speaking of Norway, I figured you knew how to bring the party, but I didn't know that you are the party
    I believe that I now have a new signature.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 5:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saw a friend who works as a nurse, asked about the nurse practitioner program. She was strongly in favour of you doing it, but stressed that you should find a way to do NP and your master's at the same time. Don't know if this makes any sense, I'm just relaying it second-hand.

Also, it sounds like the NP practices here are mostly up in the far north.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 12:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    The purpose of this post is to say that I subscribed to this thread a couple of days ago because I intended to read it this weekend and get up to date, but that I just now looked at the newest post (UserCP addiciton)...and I have to say, a lot of what ZeroSleep said in Post 190 is almost verbatim what I might have said.

I won't post again in this thread, unless someone wants me to, until I've caught up with the current state of the thread. That said, I'm going to be very interested in how things develop with ZeroSleep.
    Somehow I totally missed this post. Didn't mean to dis you. I apologize. Please feel free to post in this thread, although I can't guarantee you'll get anything out of it.

More on the subject of sleep:

There's a lot of nuance to this post of mine. The big thing I want to drive home is that healthy, regular sleep is a delicate thing. Getting one thing wrong is enough to **** it up, even if you do almost everything else right.

Consider an extreme case: if every night, a guy comes into your room and fires off an air horn at 3 AM, nothing else you do matters - your sleep will be ruined regardless.

Or a less extreme, but more realistic case: if someone dreads laying in bed, awake and alone, they may put off going to bed until they're absolutely ready to drop, which is probably far too close to the time they have to be awake to get a full night's rest.

"Can a Night Owl Become a Morning Person?" is where I got the idea of not waiting until bedtime to take melatonin. It's a good article.

"Sleep Tourism" is another good article - not that we should all move to Turkey, but I've become a big proponent of the "cold room, thick quilt" school of sleep environment.

And to reinforce the importance of sleep to the tripod, see Tara Parker-Pope's "To Improve Fitness, Try Sleep" (NYT Well Blog). The research she's citing is somewhat suspect, but the principle still applies.

---

I also want to stress that there is hope. This morning I woke up, unprompted and fully rested, at 8:09 AM. Five years ago, that would have been a fucking miracle.

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 7:35am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this paper has a great deal to offer you. More here.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 5:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of stuff
    Sorry, I meant to reply...guess that makes us even. I will look into that stuff some time soon (tired from my first hike in months) and keep you updated. I suspect some of my sleep irregularities may be due to the muscle relaxer I've taken for more than a decade, baclofen, which is a GABA agonist.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 9:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    I suspect some of my sleep irregularities may be due to the muscle relaxer I've taken for more than a decade, baclofen, which is a GABA agonist.
    I couldn't say. What are you taking it for?

---

I'm putting the histamine hypothesis to the test.

Doctor: "Don't do anything until you've talked to [new neurologist]."
    New neurologist's receptionist: "Six month waiting list."

So I went out and bought some generic Claritin (loratadine), and I'm going to give it a test drive over the next week or so. We'll see what happens.