is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 12:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSleep View Post
    Funny, I had just read that post when I decided to check if you had responded to this. It's interesting, but nothing new
    I know it's not really novel, but I did my best to be systematic.
    If you can get a solid sleep when you turn the alarm clock off and close the blackout blinds, there's hope for you.
    But if the period your body wants to sleep doesn't coincide with the time you can let it, fixing that discrepancy may simply be a matter of being disciplined and patient - doing everything right, every day and night, for months in a row.

As a student I couldn't afford to eat correctly for 3 years, and it was around the beginning of that the dsps really hit me and I got it diagnosed. I wonder if it could just be a symptom of malnutrition, and not necessarily the underlaying (though definitely a) cause of some other problems, like me being a hardgainer, suffer from sleep deprivation, cycles of depression... The more I think about it, the more sense it makes, but... Well, cause -> effect isn't always as straight-forward as we'd like it to be, is it?
    Being a "hard gainer" could most definitely follow from malnutrition. I'm not sure if there's a particular nutritional deficiency that would manifest as sleep deprivation offhand. Have you had bloodwork done lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 6:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Being a "hard gainer" could most definitely follow from malnutrition. I'm not sure if there's a particular nutritional deficiency that would manifest as sleep deprivation offhand. Have you had bloodwork done lately?
    Not lately, no. I did a few months ago, but it was "normal". Except they didn't test what I wanted them to test for, obviously. Instead of testing my vitamin levels, etc, they tested me for infections and diabetes, because the doctor knows better. They found nothing.

Wouldn't life be so much easier if they actually listened?

When is your appointment with the neurologist?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 9:45am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not lately, no. I did a few months ago, but it was "normal". Except they didn't test what I wanted them to test for, obviously. Instead of testing my vitamin levels, etc, they tested me for infections and diabetes, because the doctor knows better. They found nothing.

Wouldn't life be so much easier if they actually listened?
    I suppose the problem is that for every guy who actually has a legitimate problem and wants the appropriate diagnostic attention to pin it down, there's a dozen idiots who want antibiotics for their cold and MRIs for their sore foot.

Part A: What does your doctor say when you ask specifically for bloodwork to determine if you're malnourished?
    Part B: Can you find another doctor?

When is your appointment with the neurologist?
    I haven't heard back from the second (hopefully competent) neurologist yet. I was told it'd be three to six months, so I'm not holding my breath.

---

I suppose some of you have seen the whole "Eco-Atkins (low-carb vegan) helps your cholesterol levels" thing in the news lately, right? Well, I'm not saying it's junk science, but it's funded by a soy product manufacturer. Just saying.

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 11:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I intend to keep this short (good luck) because I know I'm breaking into a dialogue here and I'm ill informed at present.

The purpose of this post is to say that I subscribed to this thread a couple of days ago because I intended to read it this weekend and get up to date, but that I just now looked at the newest post (UserCP addiciton)...and I have to say, a lot of what ZeroSleep said in Post 190 is almost verbatim what I might have said.

I won't post again in this thread, unless someone wants me to, until I've caught up with the current state of the thread. That said, I'm going to be very interested in how things develop with ZeroSleep.

P.S. I deleted a paragraph describing my sleep "last night," but if it's wanted I'll be glad to post it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 1:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose the problem is that for every guy who actually has a legitimate problem and wants the appropriate diagnostic attention to pin it down, there's a dozen idiots who want antibiotics for their cold and MRIs for their sore foot.

Part A: What does your doctor say when you ask specifically for bloodwork to determine if you're malnourished?
    Part B: Can you find another doctor?

I haven't heard back from the second (hopefully competent) neurologist yet. I was told it'd be three to six months, so I'm not holding my breath.

---

I suppose some of you have seen the whole "Eco-Atkins (low-carb vegan) helps your cholesterol levels" thing in the news lately, right? Well, I'm not saying it's junk science, but it's funded by a soy product manufacturer. Just saying.
    Doc - "So what is the problem?"
    Me - "Well, I think I might be this and that because so and so."
    Doc - "Are you a qualified doctor?"
    Me - "No..."
    Doc - "Then how about you just describe the symptoms, and leave the diagnostics to me. And to me, I think you just have..."

*bloodwork done*

*measures height, weight and my reflexes*

Doc - "There's nothing wrong with you. Here's your bill, have a nice day. NEXT!"

Not word by word, but that's pretty much how it went. And no, my weight isn't much underweight for my height, BMI is about average, (which is a rubbish way of measuring btw), but it is weird compared how and how much I train. Because from those standards, I should be pretty much anything but average. And though my reflexes were good, "possibly above average"... Well, they were crap for my standards no matter what he says.

That was the second doctor... I'll try to change again, but I live in the middle of Nowheresville, Norway...

Three to six months, wtf? That's just plain wrong...

---

Haha, one of my favorite movies are 'Thank you for smoking'. Could be something like that, or it could be totally legit, who knows? I wouldn't pay much attention to it though.
    Last edited by ZeroSleep; 6/10/2009 1:05pm at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 8:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doc - "There's nothing wrong with you. Here's your bill, have a nice day. NEXT!"
    I thought Norway would have socialized medicine?

Anyways, there's no way I'd pay if they weren't running an appropriate battery of tests. Actually, if a doctor ever gave me the "are you a qualified doctor" line, I'd probably walk out right then and file a complaint.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 11:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought Norway would have socialized medicine?

Anyways, there's no way I'd pay if they weren't running an appropriate battery of tests. Actually, if a doctor ever gave me the "are you a qualified doctor" line, I'd probably walk out right then and file a complaint.
    So did I... Nice surprise, eh? >_<

Haven't paid, which probably won't help me getting a new doctor... >_>

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 8:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -The doctor my parents chose back in my hometown is useless and far away
    Fun fact: Apparently my mom ran into a childhood friend a few weeks ago. Said friend lost her leg to cancer a few years ago. Guess who the doctor was that misdiagnosed it?

I truly live a charmed life.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/13/2009 5:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone canceled their MRI today, so I finally got my left knee scanned. Seven months since I first saw a doctor about it (assuming it's not an old injury that re-appeared), two months less a day since my new physio (hopefully) identified the problem.

Eh, I'll take it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 12:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice, congrats. :)

So, how'd it go?